Trump Begins Inauguration Spouting Misinformation

Mediocrity is a Progressive requirement. You folks hate anyone who is successful, you scream "IT'S NOT FAIR" when anyone makes more than you do. It is disgusting.
The ONLY idea ANY Progressive ever had is to take someone else's Money and give it to somebody else.

A damn stupid comment. The creed which fits a 21st Century Conservative however is spot on: "I got mine, fuck the rest of you"

Trump claimed that his inauguration opening concert at the Lincoln Memorial was a rare way to begin an inauguration when the facts say the exact opposite.

I can't say I give a damn whether Trump was factually accurate about words were spoken by his predecessors from the grounds of Lincoln Memorial. Indeed, were it so that Trump has been wrong about contextually unimportant details I wouldn't be of a mind to deride his integrity. What does bother me is that Trump, as so often he is wont to do, made a statement that can be called into question and it was a claim that didn't have to be made.

I suspect that nobody really cares how often presidents have made inauguration addresses at the Lincoln Memorial, yet we know that at least in recent history, their doing so isn't uncommon. What presidents between 1922 and the 21st century have? I don't know. I don't care. Fifteen presidents have had the opportunity to make such a speech, and now at least three (25%) have. I know that if Trump didn't know who other than Bush and Obama have done the same, he could have made his claim with an appropriate qualifier.

But as I said, the incidents of speeches from the Lincoln isn't the point. The point is that Trump, far too often for someone who's a leader in general and a President in particular, makes statements that are factually inaccurate. Simply fact checking what he thinks to be so prior to making the assertions/attestations. It's human to forget or know minor details, but it's irresponsible, immature, disingenuous and dishonest not to give credence to the fact that one is human and that there's an element of uncertainty regarding a given claim one is making.

That is now and continues to be the problem I have with Trump. Adding insult to the injury is that the man has presented himself as a populist leader. Not as an expert, though he must now become one on everything he discusses. If anything, however, populists are afforded the luxury of not knowing "everything" so long as they are honest about it and do something to know "inside out" that of which they speak and decide. A populist has considerably more leeway than would an experienced public policy player, but not so much leeway that s/he can ignore the basics of simple honesty and integrity.
In your opinion.

time.com/4640346/donald-trump-lincoln-memorial/
Trump claimed that his inauguration opening concert at the Lincoln Memorial was a rare way to begin an inauguration when the facts say the exact opposite.

Trump did not say it was seldom for a Presidential inaugural celebration. He simply said it was seldom done, which is true almost by definition since it is not common to elect brand new Presidents into office. In fact before Trump, it had only happened twice in this millennium.

“So many people have poured into Washington, D.C. This started out tonight being a small, little concert, and then we had the idea maybe we’ll do it in front of the Lincoln Memorial. I don’t know if it’s ever been done before, but if it has, very seldom,” Trump said.

However, both of his predecessors have hosted inaugural events at the Lincoln Memorial. President Barack Obama held a star-studded celebration (including Beyonce and Bruce Springstein) at the national monument in 2009. He followed suit from President George W. Bush who held his inaugural opening ceremony on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 2001.​

It's no myth, and what have I lied about? IKE sent troops into Arkansas in 1957 because the Southern Democrats opposed efforts to enforce Brown v. the Board of Education. Ike was a Republican, which delayed the white racists from leaving the Democratic Party, until LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act, which, BTW, was signed by a higher percentage of Republicans because the Southern Democrats voted NO! Nixon ran in 1968 on a States Rights Platform, which created the exodus of racists from from the D Party. Gov. Wallace joined the exodus at that time and the Amerian Independant Party was formed on the issue of States Rights, a euphemism for the right of a state to segregate its schools.

If you really want to know why RACISTS turned to the democrat party, check with Lincoln who, as a republican, fought a war with the south to free the slaves.....

In today's arena MOST racists align themselves with the GOP...Argue all you want, but part of YOUR base is racist.

Racism and bigotry are characteristics of human beings and even some species of animals. Both parties include bigots and racists and misogynists, but they are cultivated by the GOP.

Trump did not say it was seldom for a Presidential inaugural celebration. He simply said it was seldom done, which is true almost by definition since it is not common to elect brand new Presidents into office. In fact before Trump, it had only happened twice in this millennium.

“So many people have poured into Washington, D.C. This started out tonight being a small, little concert, and then we had the idea maybe we’ll do it in front of the Lincoln Memorial. I don’t know if it’s ever been done before, but if it has, very seldom,” Trump said.

However, both of his predecessors have hosted inaugural events at the Lincoln Memorial. President Barack Obama held a star-studded celebration (including Beyonce and Bruce Springstein) at the national monument in 2009. He followed suit from President George W. Bush who held his inaugural opening ceremony on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 2001.​
Actually, the tradition began in 1989 with President Bush. So, it's been going on for over almost three decades.

Actually, the tradition began in 1989 with President Bush. So, it's been going on for over almost three decades.

So it has been done only 4 times in the last 40 years?

Again, that sounds pretty damned 'seldom' tome.

Racism and bigotry are characteristics of human beings and even some species of animals. Both parties include bigots and racists and misogynists, but they are cultivated by the GOP.
No, today it is the Democrats and them only that pursue Identity Politics and has to label every by race, ethnicity and gender, not the GOP.

He's not GOP either thank god...GO Mr. Businessman! lol
I agree with you on that. Business is good for America. It's how we eat. Business first, party second. The government that we the people own turned on us and took food off the table.
I'm hoping business, intelligence, and fairness will become the world's greatest interest from now on. Not ideological/power idiocy.

Millennium being 16 years...

I agree with you on that. Business is good for America. It's how we eat. Business first, party second. The government that we the people own turned on us and took food off the table.
I'm hoping business, intelligence, and fairness will become the world's greatest interest from now on. Not ideological/power idiocy.
That's the whole point. There was nothing intelligent or fair about standing on the necks of business. It suffocates economies.

That's the whole point. There was nothing intelligent or fair about standing on the necks of business. It suffocates economies.
ONLY on Fox!!! lol

Did Clinton do it too? I don't recall and I'm not going to look it up. If he didn't, four of five presidents have in recent times done it.

Did Clinton do it too? I don't recall and I'm not going to look it up. If he didn't, four of five presidents have in recent times done it.
Yes, I was there for Bush 41 and Clinton in '93. Never imagined I would ever see Michael Jackson perform. Not my kind of music. Bob Dylan was pretty good and more my type of music.

Yes, I was there for Bush 41 and Clinton in '93. Never imagined I would ever see Michael Jackson perform. Not my kind of music. Bob Dylan was pretty good and more my type of music.

Well, that's a feature of "fancy" parties....A lot of "it" is about the glitz and glam. That's, in part, what makes them fun. So though one may not be keen on a given act, the atmosphere created by big name acts goes a long way toward making the event feel special, even to people who are used to being in and around the corridors of fame and power. That matters; it sets a mood for what's to come. Or at least it did back in the days when people on both sides of the aisles were more interested in collaboration on behalf of the people than in "all or nothing" governance.

Historic tidbit:
My parents tell me that in their day, the inaugural ball was (1) by invitation only and (2) free. It was essentially a party given by the incoming president and his party. Also, by their recollection, there was only one inaugural ball.​

Leave it to Camp. A moron who trusts in FDR. LOL

Donald Trump couldn't carry Roosevelt's water!
He is making big claims about how he is going to build American infrastructure and create jobs and employment the way FDR did. He will also have to guide the nation to victory in the wars against terrorism the way FDR guided the victory over the Japanese and Nazi's in WWII. He will of course, never be able to win four consecutive elections. Even winning his second one is not a certainty.

Much of the infrastructure built during the FDR administration is still standing and operating over 75 years after it was built, so it is impossible to compare whatever Trump might build to the FDR era until an equal passage of time. Will Trump create and build even one project that can compare to the tunnels, bridges, schools, airports, roads, public buildings, etc. that were built during the FDR era? Will we see even one Lincoln Tunnel, Blue Ridge Parkway, Golden Gate Bridge, or Coulee Dam?

Short Answer...........NO PHUCKIN WAY!!!!!

Forum List

Back