Skip Day

I was recently talking to some HS teachers in public schools and they are not allowed to talk about certain topics in the classroom, politics is one. That surprised me but teachers have told me parents today whine about everything. The religious are the worst according to some teachers, especially around holidays or say Halloween. Since we went to Catholic school it was a bit different, Catholics were a bit more liberal I think. Today Christian schools are very popular. and I am wondering long term what kind of citizen will these less open and tolerant schools and ideas create? If Trump's inaugural address is anything like his stump speeches it will be full of fluff lies and easy solutions. Do parents want followers of this man or do they want children who can think on their own?

After thought: Trump is a draft dodger, tax cheat and adulterer that he is praised by the right must tell you something?

PS I often add book references for those who still ponder why.
To Make Men Free: A History of the Republican Party' by Heather Cox Richardson
'Social Darwinism in American Thought' by Richard Hofstadter

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

I was recently talking to some HS teachers in public schools and they are not allowed to talk about certain topics in the classroom, politics is one. That surprised me but teachers have told me parents today whine about everything. The religious are the worst according to some teachers, especially around holidays or say Halloween. Since we went to Catholic school it was a bit different, Catholics were a bit more liberal I think. Today Christian schools are very popular. and I am wondering long term what kind of citizen will these less open and tolerant schools and ideas create? If Trump's inaugural address is anything like his stump speeches it will be full of fluff lies and easy solutions. Do parents want followers of this man or do they want children who can think on their own?

After thought: Trump is a draft dodger, tax cheat and adulterer that he is praised by the right must tell you something?

"Democracies have great rational and imaginative powers. They also are prone to some serious flaws in reasoning, to parochialism, haste, sloppiness, selfishness, narrowness of the spirit. Education based mainly on profitability in the global market magnifies these deficiencies, producing a greedy obtuseness and a technically trained docility that threaten the very life of democracy itself, and that certainly impede the creation of a decent world culture." Martha Nussbaum

If you hide the world from children, they will know nothing about it when they are adults.

If you have a similar situation, let your kid stay home. They will learn more from the speech and the coverage of Democrat rioters than they will at school anyway.

Starnes: Seriously? Schools to Blackout Trump's Inaugural Address
Gadzooks, billy! I completely agree with your dismay over this foolishness. But then we usually do agree on American education. This is akin to all those other idiots who try to whitewash history by proposals to tweak out unpleasant facts of our founding, building, and formation as a nation out of the history books.

If you have a similar situation, let your kid stay home. They will learn more from the speech and the coverage of Democrat rioters than they will at school anyway.

Starnes: Seriously? Schools to Blackout Trump's Inaugural Address
Gadzooks, billy! I completely agree with your dismay over this foolishness. But then we usually do agree on American education. This is akin to all those other idiots who try to whitewash history by proposals to tweak out unpleasant facts of our founding, building, and formation as a nation out of the history books.

Yup. One cannot know good without knowing evil.

If you hide the world from children, they will know nothing about it when they are adults.
Today there are more sources to review history and society than 30 years ago..If they are so called isolated it is cause they never use the YouTube channel..

Today there are more sources to review history and society than 30 years ago..If they are so called isolated it is cause they never use the YouTube channel..

I'm sure modern American children, given a choice of activities, will trip over themselves rushing to youtube to view all sorts of history and societal changes.

Or not. :laugh:

Forum List

Back