Total US Debt Rises Over $18 Trillion; Up 70% Under Barack Obama

And it’s also untrue — as claimed in a graphic widely circulated by email and in social media postings — that the debt has increased more under Obama than under all previous 43 presidents combined. In fact, as of Jan. 31, 2012, the rise under Obama had yet to surpass the rise under his predecessor, George W. Bush.
The figures in that graphic are pure fabrications, as anyone can easily confirm by plugging Obama’s inauguration date — Jan. 20, 2009 — in the Treasury Department’s handy “debt to the penny” website. That shows the nation’s total debt stood at $10.6 trillion on the day Obama took office (not $6.3 trillion), and it had increased to nearly $15.4 trillion by the end of January 2012 — a rise of more than $4.7 trillion in just over three years (not $6.5 trillion).

What other president increased the debt by nearly $5 trillion in 3 years?

But, no problem. When Obama leaves office, we simply tack on the deficit from the Republican's first year in office to Obama's total debt increase and compare it to all the others. Anyone want to take the losing position that it will not be bigger than all the others?

At least 2 trillion of the spending during the Obama presidency has been paying interest on the debt accumulated before Obama took office. No other presidency has ever had to face that ongoing expense.

And he did nothing to curb the accelerated growth of the debt. I would give him a lot of credit if he were to have come out and explained that we would face a few years of large deficits as we worked our way out of the various things we had gotten into, then presented budgets that actually put us on the path back to fiscal sanity, but he did just the opposite. He pushed the spending pedal to the floor and never intends to even try to close the gap. No, he rightly wears the King of Debt crown.

The Afghanistan and Iraq wars went on the national credit card and then deferred to the 2009 books, courtesy of Bush.

It seems the economic course for the rest of the century is going to be slow payment of US debts, with no one really taking the initiative to get it down to a more sustainable level.

And it’s also untrue — as claimed in a graphic widely circulated by email and in social media postings — that the debt has increased more under Obama than under all previous 43 presidents combined. In fact, as of Jan. 31, 2012, the rise under Obama had yet to surpass the rise under his predecessor, George W. Bush.
The figures in that graphic are pure fabrications, as anyone can easily confirm by plugging Obama’s inauguration date — Jan. 20, 2009 — in the Treasury Department’s handy “debt to the penny” website. That shows the nation’s total debt stood at $10.6 trillion on the day Obama took office (not $6.3 trillion), and it had increased to nearly $15.4 trillion by the end of January 2012 — a rise of more than $4.7 trillion in just over three years (not $6.5 trillion).

But, no problem. When Obama leaves office, we simply tack on the deficit from the Republican's first year in office to Obama's total debt increase and compare it to all the others. Anyone want to take the losing position that it will not be bigger than all the others?

At least 2 trillion of the spending during the Obama presidency has been paying interest on the debt accumulated before Obama took office. No other presidency has ever had to face that ongoing expense.

So what? the debt has gone from 11T to 17T in 6 years. never before has one president run up that much debt. it will be 20T when obozo retires to chi town or hawaii.

So it's Obama's fault that he inherited a 400 billion dollar a year interest payment?

What is wrong with you?

the national debt was between 10 and 11T when Bush left office. It is 18T today and will be over 20T when obozo leaves office. Paying the interest is part of the budget, borrowing more than is collected in taxes is deficit spending i.e. spending something you don't have.

Obama is responsible for adding 9T to the national debt. There is no way to deny that fact.

Remember how you were hyperventilating that W had deficits at the end of his administration of $300 billion and we were stealing from our children? Now six years later, it's no thang. Wait till a Republican is in the White House in 2017 and you lose it over deficits again.

Sshh, here's the real information. When W ran huge deficits, it was a big issue. And Obama running bigger ones is a bigger deal. For me deficits matter. For you, they are talking points.

So what? the debt has gone from 11T to 17T in 6 years. never before has one president run up that much debt. it will be 20T when obozo retires to chi town or hawaii.

So it's Obama's fault that he inherited a 400 billion dollar a year interest payment?

What is wrong with you?

the national debt was between 10 and 11T when Bush left office. It is 18T today and will be over 20T when obozo leaves office. Paying the interest is part of the budget, borrowing more than is collected in taxes is deficit spending i.e. spending something you don't have.

Obama is responsible for adding 9T to the national debt. There is no way to deny that fact.

When Republicans are in the White House, Republicans are responsible for the deficits because they are in the White House. When Democrats are in the White House, Republicans are responsible for deficits because they were in the White House. Don't you know that, Redfish?

What is wrong with you?

When Republicans are in the White House, Republicans are responsible for the deficits because they are in the White House. When Democrats are in the White House, Republicans are responsible for deficits because they were in the White House. Don't you know that, Redfish?

yes, the hypocrisy of dem/libs is very evident.

What is wrong with you?

How about we don't pay our fucking bills and Reagan is still a big "deficits don't matter" spender? That is reality.

I am still unclear what the hypocrites are saying here.

They do support the Tea Party platform? They are saying they want a smaller government? They want less spending?

Well, that is what they are bragging about.

Please, someone. Let me know what their point is.

How about we don't pay our fucking bills and Reagan is still a big deficits don't matter spender? That is reality.

Exactly, Obama is not responsible for deficits while he is in the White House. Reagan was responsible for deficits while he was in the White House. My point exactly. Thank you.

They do support the Tea Party platform? They are saying they want a smaller government? They want less spending?

They are wearing a t-shirt which says "I'm with stupid" and as an arrow pointing down.

They are wearing a t-shirt which says "I'm with stupid" and as an arrow pointing down.
Yeah well, your dick or pussy is stupid so that works. Just don't offend them too much since they are usually your very best friend.

Well, since it is not a fact, it is quite easy to deny!

The GOP National Debt was $12 trillion when Bush left and there was $1.5 trillion in interest run up on that $12 trillion since, therefore Obama's share of the $18 trillion is $4.5 trillion.

The GOP National Debt was $12 trillion when Bush left and there was $1.5 trillion in interest run up on that $12 trillion since, therefore Obama's share of the $18 trillion is $4.5 trillion.

Bwahahahaha----------now thats some funny shit math. Using your "logic" Clinton is responsible for Bush's debt.

But let me ask you, will obama be responsible for the debt that the new GOP president inherits in 2016?

Better yet, will you ever hold obama responsible for anything?

Excellent point. If Obama is actually cutting spending, and they applaud it, why do they hold such disdain for the tea parties for trying to do the same thing?

Mark

Excellent point. If Obama is actually cutting spending, and they applaud it, why do they hold such disdain for the tea parties for trying to do the same thing?

Mark

they have been programmed to hate the tea party, no matter what. Liberals are not allowed to engage in independent thought.

Bwahahahaha----------now thats some funny shit math. Using your "logic" Clinton is responsible for Bush's debt.

But let me ask you, will obama be responsible for the debt that the new GOP president inherits in 2016?

Better yet, will you ever hold obama responsible for anything?
Obama will be responsible for his $4.5 trillion plus interest, the GOP for the rest.

Mark
Because the Tea Bag Brotherhood wants to make all the cuts from the safety net, the Dems want a balance of cutting the waste and taxing the super wealthy.

Mark
Because the Tea Bag Brotherhood wants to make all the cuts from the safety net, the Dems want a balance of cutting the waste and taxing the super wealthy.

Thats what the Dems want? Maybe you could show us where they want to cut to balance the budget and pay down the debt?

Mark

Forum List

Back