To those saying flipping burgers or dunking fries deserves 15.00 per hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus when you work at McD's you get free food when it drops on the floor, or someone doesn't finish their meal helping to defray food cost for the worker.

There is something wrong when a person is working 40 or more hours a week and is still eligible for heating fuel assistance and food stamps and Medicaid. Wages have not kept up with the cost of living and an adjustment is in order.

Grampa didn't answer my question about a "teenage" wage. Would he?
There is indeed something wrong and it's SELF INFLICTED.

Choices were made that led to that place in life and those choices weren't made by the employer.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
I have never heard such a bucket of judgmental slop.
Very comfortable for you, looking down on people who serve your meals, cut your lawn, remove your trash, wash the floors in your office building. You'd be pretty damned unhappy if they weren't there and they don't deserve to be treated like slaves with wages that keep them stuck in poverty.
Choices, my ass!
There is a new generation of minimum wage workers coming into the workforce every single year. If you are 30 years old and competing with a 16 year old you're a fuck up. That's all there is to it.
If I can go from prison to business owner I don't want to hear any bullshit pity excuses.

Just wow!
Looking down on? Really? Because we state that improving skill sets is worth doing and achievable we are looking down on people?
Seems you are doing the looking down upon, by stating they can’t improve their skill sets and must settle.
There is something wrong when a person is working 40 or more hours a week and is still eligible for heating fuel assistance and food stamps and Medicaid. Wages have not kept up with the cost of living and an adjustment is in order.

Choices were made that led to that place in life and those choices weren't made by the employer.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Very comfortable for you, looking down on people who serve your meals, cut your lawn, remove your trash, wash the floors in your office building. You'd be pretty damned unhappy if they weren't there and they don't deserve to be treated like slaves with wages that keep them stuck in poverty.
Choices, my ass!

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!

"Serve your meals, cut your lawn, remove your trash, wash the floors in your office building." Thought all those jobs went to illegals.

No one opposes making $15 an hour. We state they need to improve their skill set to do so, and these corporations all offer an opportunity for them to better themselves, if they are willing to put in the work.
My guess is that many of those who oppose $15. per hour aren't earning that much themselves.

And many of those jobs pay much more than minimum already.

They work the graveyard shift -- 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. -- rain or shine, ice cold or burning hot.

And yet, they love their job. Part of the reason is they get paid well for their hard work.

"Your trash is my money," Molina, 32, says with a baby-faced grin.

Molina made $112,000 last year as a garbage truck driver and Sankar made $100,000 as a helper, riding on the back of the truck. Their wages have grown in eight of the last nine years, according to their bosses, brothers David and Jerry Antonacci, owners of Crown Container, a waste management company.
The $100,000 job: Garbage workers

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!

"Serve your meals, cut your lawn, remove your trash, wash the floors in your office building." Thought all those jobs went to illegals.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!

The trash guys here make 15 to 18 depending on the company. My neighbor kid does my lawn and gets 30 bucks for about an hours worth of work. Waiters & waitresses can make damn good money in the right restaurant.
Dated a girl a few years back that worked in a nice steak house. She could make a couple hundred per shift.

I think old lady is just that, old & out of touch.

Our local steel mill employed 4,500 in the 60s, 3,200 when I was hired in 1972 and 550 today producing the same amount of product. This is no different from any other manufacturing plant. Where in the hell are people supposed to work these days where they don`t have to depend on food stamps? They made bad choices by not applying to Harvard?

Liberal immigration policy has been a MAJOR contributor to spoiled entitled children with poor to no work ethic. In my day we worked fast food, washed dishes, bused tables, mowed lawns etc. You know, all those things "White Americans" aren't willing to do.

Immigrants have taken these jobs and assumed them as careers. Somehow that's supposed to be good for Americans? I challenge anyone to give a single reason why. As usual, liberal policy is a detriment and invites weakness and failure.
And here we have it. When something is beyond your level of understanding just scream "librul" and bring race into it.
View attachment 164037

Even McDonald's acknowledges that their business was intended for children.
Holding businesses that are created with the employment of kids & college students responsible for the poor choices people make in life is wrong. If you're in your mid to late 20's or higher & working for minimum wage you have no one to blame but yourself. You're poor choices should not result in a 10.00 Big Mac or 4 dollar fry.
Their business was intended for teenagers in the 1950s and 60s but fast food has become a major employer in this country. Keep giving them $7.50 and we taxpayers will provide the food stamps. McWendyKing`s laughs at us.

You really got me a good one. Congratulations on your explanation for how this activity benefits society.

Our local steel mill employed 4,500 in the 60s, 3,200 when I was hired in 1972 and 550 today producing the same amount of product. This is no different from any other manufacturing plant. Where in the hell are people supposed to work these days where they don`t have to depend on food stamps? They made bad choices by not applying to Harvard?
You don't have to goto Harvard lol

There are always bad situations where a town goes belly up when a major employer goes under or takes some sort of hard hit.
But that is life. Nothing is guaranteed beyond your freedom and that freedom is what you need to utilize when a scenario like the above occurs.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!
There is a new generation of minimum wage workers coming into the workforce every single year. If you are 30 years old and competing with a 16 year old you're a fuck up. That's all there is to it.
If I can go from prison to business owner I don't want to hear any bullshit pity excuses.
You seem to be judging everyone based on your own experiences. You should really expand your vision a bit to include what other people's actual experiences are. Not everyone is you.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!

The trash guys here make 15 to 18 depending on the company. My neighbor kid does my lawn and gets 30 bucks for about an hours worth of work. Waiters & waitresses can make damn good money in the right restaurant.
Dated a girl a few years back that worked in a nice steak house. She could make a couple hundred per shift.

I think old lady is just that, old & out of touch.
They ain't making that much here, but nevertheless,
QUESTION: If those folks are getting 15-30 bucks an hour for doing unskilled labor, what have you got against McDonalds workers making the same?

This is almost an attitude of entitlement. Like the mill owed you a job because you lived there or something. Very weird.

I can only speak from my experience so I'll hit on the important points that drove me.

When I started out I lived in a modestly sized town. Work was available but there were more applicants than jobs. So my wife and I decided we needed to broaden our Horizions and look further for opportunities. She was still in college so it was tight but we saved every little bit we could each week. Once we had about a grand set aside I got some phone books from bigger cities across the country and started making cold phone calls inquiring about work opportunities. I got more rejection than anything but I did get a few opportunities in a couple cities. We then looked into the job market in those areas for her. Were they booming or stagnant...etc.
Eventually we decided on the Denver/Springs area and i took the 1k saved up and went out and paid for one week in a hotel. Determined to either land one of those jobs or return home before the money was gone.
I was hired on the FIRST DAY and I bet a lot of it was because of my ambition to move so far for work. It wasn't the job I wanted but it was a foot in the door in a growing area. A couple of months sitting in a shitty hotel alone while saving to get a place and bring my family out was the springboard to my career.
Over the next 5 years I did that two more times. Once to Washington DC and ultimately here in KC.

Life is all about risk. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Teenage wage? Lol, no
Choices, my ass!
You seem to be judging everyone based on your own experiences. You should really expand your vision a bit to include what other people's actual experiences are. Not everyone is you.
You're right. Most people don't have anywhere near the roadblocks I had.

View attachment 164037

Even McDonald's acknowledges that their business was intended for children.
Holding businesses that are created with the employment of kids & college students responsible for the poor choices people make in life is wrong. If you're in your mid to late 20's or higher & working for minimum wage you have no one to blame but yourself. You're poor choices should not result in a 10.00 Big Mac or 4 dollar fry.

Raising minimum wage to 13/hr would results in an estimated labor cost increase of about 15% at a McDonalds location.

Thse locations generally run at about 25% labor cost. 15% of 25% is 3.75%. So, let's cover the margin and say the price increase that results is 5%

A Big Mac costs about $5.00. After the resulting price increase, it would cost about $5.25.

If you cant afford this because you are too poor, I dont think generations of American labor should have to suffer because of your poor choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back