Todays rant - the working poor/ hourly wages

My kids working night shift in a warehouse for $12 an hour.

Part time, of course. When he reaches 37.5 hours (and he does every week even though they schedule him for 20 hours, they need the laborers) they send him home.

We all know why they never let him work the full 40 hours, too, right?

So who picks up his health care?

The taxpayers of WAshington State.

And who doesn't pay for his HC?

Well, TARGET, his employer.

The system is broken, but you can't much blame the corporations for playing it, can you?

AFter all, if the government is too weak to prevent them, corporations have all the sense of good corporate citizenship of the mafia.

My kid is in the same boat

Thankfully, with Obamacare I was able to pick him up under my insurance

Sounds to me like you aren't such a "Rightwinger" after all.

In 2010 the breakdown of min wage earners is:
Age 16-19=26% (994,000)
Age 20-24=26% (1,141,000)
Age 25-29=11% (502,000)
Age 30-44=20% (912,000)
Age 45+=19% (812,000)

61% of these people are women! I would venture that many of them are single parent.

32,000 of these people have masters degrees and 288,000 have bachelors degrees. 72% of them have at least a high school diploma.
Political Calculations: Visualizing the Characteristics of Minimum Wage Earners in 2010

So what you're saying is that if the teachers who are making 40 to 60 K/Year get fed up and quit, we have a whole army of replacements ready waiting in the wings?

Dandy! We can relax knowing our children will still be taught.

The free market is all about profits, maximizing revenue while minimizing costs. And one of the largest cost items is labor, so businesses are not going to pay more than they have to. Maybe that's cold, but it's also reality.

If you want out of the minimum wage section, then you better do something to make yourself worth more. Get more education, acquire a skill, join the military, start a business. It sucks when you're on the bottom, but IMHO that's a good thing. It's supposed to suck enough to motivate people to do something about it. Looks to me like in many cases it doesn't suck as much as it should.

Forum List

Back