To share or not to share... that is the forward question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that is forwarding PMs really should get themselves out of the middle school mentality, imo.

It's a way to get around the rule of not sharing PM's on open forum. You share the PM with a lot of people and then hint at it on open forum.

But, I will check on that to make sure.
I think his reasoning was how would the mods or admin know if people forwarded pms. Not to mention that USMB is not a nanny state and you should beware who you trust. :D

Yes, that had always been the rule that people had the discretion to use the fwd feature and if anyone felt somehow that the fwd feature was being abused they could always report the situation to admin privately. We've had people send mass PMs that undermined staff, we've seen mass PMs to recruit people to other boards, we've seen phony drama llamas alter the contents of PM and attempt to pass it off as someone else's words, etc...

Now it sounds like Meister is saying it is against the rules to use the fwd feature period. Not sure how he thinks he can police that, but good luck! lol

Gunny said you could forward them but you couldn't post them on the board. As far as I know, that rule hasn't been changed.

Which defeats the whole purpose of the PM's being private. Instead of talking about it on open forum, mabelle can forward her PM's to everyone.

There is No Guarantee of Privacy in Cyber Space. Never forget that. ;)

Gunny said you could forward them but you couldn't post them on the board. As far as I know, that rule hasn't been changed.

Which defeats the whole purpose of the PM's being private. Instead of talking about it on open forum, mabelle can forward her PM's to everyone.

It's just like if someone betrays a confidence in real life... Running to your mommy doesn't change anything. Mommy can't tell the world they must keep dear Sky's confidence or else! Mommy has to break it to Sky to be more careful who she confides in...

So a new rule?

Nope...always been there. PM's are between two people...(private message)

PM Guidelines:
If exclusively personal contact is needed, use the Private Message system. Do not post a topic where only one member is expected to answer. Posting and Language guidelines extend to the PM system. USmessageboard.com maintains the privacy of its’ users and will not access Private Messages unless ordered to do so by a Court of Law.

Posting information gained through private messages is prohibited unless specific permission is granted in a public forum and/or to a USMB staff member from the member who is a participant in the PM conversation.

Using the USMB PM system for promoting other message boards is explicitly against board rules. Anyone suspected/and found using OUR PM system to steal members will be dealt with harshly and may face a ban.

Posting private messages will only be allowed after establishing a 50 post count

?????

Looks like I stand corrected. I certainly am going to watch what I say via pm's from now on. :D

PM Guidelines:
If exclusively personal contact is needed, use the Private Message system. Do not post a topic where only one member is expected to answer. Posting and Language guidelines extend to the PM system. USmessageboard.com maintains the privacy of its’ users and will not access Private Messages unless ordered to do so by a Court of Law.

Posting information gained through private messages is prohibited unless specific permission is granted in a public forum and/or to a USMB staff member from the member who is a participant in the PM conversation.

Using the USMB PM system for promoting other message boards is explicitly against board rules. Anyone suspected/and found using OUR PM system to steal members will be dealt with harshly and may face a ban.

Posting private messages will only be allowed after establishing a 50 post count

?????

Looks like I stand corrected. I certainly am going to watch what I say via pm's from now on. :D
So, to make sure I understand this:

1. We CAN forward PMs to whomever we wish.

2. We CANNOT post them (with the exception of an automated notification of reputation).

3. And, if we find a PM we receive breaks the rules (ie. threats of harm, threats of messing with using this site, recruiting, etc.), we use the report function to draw staff's attention to it (because PMs can be altered through using the forwarding function.)

(That was my understanding all along, but I just want to make sure.)

Last edited:

PM Guidelines:

?????

Won't be the first time...

and so you should...

Can we PM public postings to friends ?

:lol: Yes, but you just can't talk about the contents of the PM publicly.

confused2gif.gif

PM Guidelines:

?????

Won't be the first time...

and so you should...
Some people man up, and some just whine. :eusa_whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back