To Kill a Mockingbird (youtube)

But it did change

So my point still stands

Libs love playing the victim

And especially so for black libs
It changed slowly after the Civil Rights Movement. Many peop,e alive remember or lived through Jim Crowe, church bombings, police violence and bloody assaults or had family members beaten and murdered by white racists given a free pass by local law enforcement. How is that “playing the victim”? Do you say that to Holocaust survivors?

It changed slowly after the Civil Rights Movement. Many peop,e alive remember or lived through Jim Crowe, church bombings, police violence and bloody assaults or had family members beaten and murdered by white racists given a free pass by local law enforcement. How is that “playing the victim”? Do you say that to Holocaust survivors?
Do whites owe you a finger?

Thats how the mob collects a debt

Sad but true.
In a culture where people have learned to accept things like racism, classism, anti-Semitism, and gynecide, it takes an event, maybe a book, movie, or personal experience to change the way people think.

That event for me came when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Mississippi in the late 40s. It was a late Saturday afternoon in summer. I was coming home on the bus after going to a double feature with some friends. I was sitting at the very front of the bus and it stopped to pick up an older black man wearing a suit. He paid the driver and sat down right across from me. The driver turned and said boy get to the back of the bus or something like that. The old black man just sat there. The driver told him again and the old man just sat there. The driver grabs the old guy and literally throws him off the bus. I look around and he's laying in the street on his back not moving. The driver turned around and said something about damn N**** not knowing his place. I dismissed it at the time but in years to come I thought about that event a lot and how wrong it was. Never said anything about it to my parents or friends but it changed the way I thought about the treatment of black people. Before then I don't think I ever thought about how black people were being treated. They were just there to pickup garbage, clean the floor, sweep the streets, clean the houses, and do all kinds jobs that white people didn't do.

Last edited:
For me it was a great book, and an even better movie. I wasn’t crazy about the long jury scene for some reason (though the scenes in the gallery were wonderful), or Brook Peters’ acting, but the rest was superb.

From the first opening scene (and music) you knew it would be stupendous, and that it would in part be about children and loving memories. It is more than a “civil rights” story, much more. It’s about growing up and learning about right and wrong.

Last edited:
In a culture where people have learned to accept things like racism, classism, anti-Semitism, and gynecide, it takes an event, maybe a book, movie, or personal experience to change the way people think.

That event for me came when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Mississippi in the late 40s. It was a late Saturday afternoon in summer. I was coming home on the bus after going to a double feature with some friends. I was sitting at the very front of the bus and it stopped to pick up an older black man wearing a suit. He paid the driver and sat down right across from me. The driver turned and said boy get to the back of the bus or something like that. The old black man just sat there. The driver told him again and the old man just sat there. The driver grabs the old guy and literally throws him off the bus. I look around and he's laying in the street on his back not moving. The driver turned around and said something about damn N**** not knowing his place. I dismissed it at the time but in years to come I thought about that event a lot and how wrong it was. Never said anything about it to my parents or friends but it changed the way I thought about the treatment of black people. Before then I don't think I ever thought about how black people were being treated. They were just there to pickup garbage, clean the floor, sweep the streets, clean the houses, and do all kinds jobs that white people didn't do.
Thank you. That is much much worse then treatment of Jews in USSR. We were almost equal, but there were limits on admission of Jews to universities. Overt anti-Semitism was rare.

Thank you. That is much much worse then treatment of Jews in USSR. We were almost equal, but there were limits on admission of Jews to universities. Overt anti-Semitism was rare.
somebody took me to see this when I was a kid....to be honest it scared the hell out of me....there were a lot of creepy scenes with the kids outside playing in the dark....it scared me almost as bad as the Ghost and Mr Chicken....the sixties were kinda cool with all the changes going on even in backwater tennessee

somebody took me to see this when I was a kid....to be honest it scared the hell out of me....there were a lot of creepy scenes with the kids outside playing in the dark....it scared me almost as bad as the Ghost and Mr Chicken....the sixties were kinda cool with all the changes going on even in backwater tennessee
Yes, I think a lot depends on how old we are, who we were then and how we first saw the film. I’m 73 and first saw it when I was very young, when the struggle for basic Civil Rights was still very real. I can appreciate those of you older guys who were born in the South … and had perhaps even a deeper experience watching it.

Last edited:
Sad but true.
When I was a kid in Mississippi in the 40s and Louisiana in the early 50's, my parents never said anything about race and it was never talked about in school. It was as if it did not exist. Black people were there to do domestic work and work in fields and other jobs that white people didn't do.

We had a maid, Sarah who came 5 days week. She was there everyday when I came home from school. She fixed supper and stayed to wash the dishes. When my parent went out at night, they dropped me off at Sarah's house. I played with her kids and there was a real connection between our families. There were rules that you followed. For example if Sarah took me into town, we sat in front of the bus but if I got off the bus, she had move to back of the bus. She would take me on walks in our neighborhoods which was ok but if she walked alone then she better be waking to the bus stop. We visited Sarah family on Christmas and various occasions but Sarah never brought here family to our house. There were all these silly unwritten rules about white and blacks.

There is an old saying about the South in those days. Blacks were loved individually, and hated collectively. It was a strange time.

Last edited:
It is just a book. Fiction.

Harper Lee could have written a rich story of the two kids and their loving father living a small Southern town during the Depression without the filthy ass White Guilt woke bullshit.
It would have been a very different book.
A mixture of class and race. There was a really good series called I’ll Fly Away in the early 90’s that dealt with race, class and the Civil Rights movement “I’llFly Away”.
Yes, it was well done

It is just a book. Fiction.

Harper Lee could have written a rich story of the two kids and their loving father living a small Southern town during the Depression without the filthy ass White Guilt woke bullshit.
Although the book is fiction, Harper Lee's father was a lawyer and she based much of here book on actual events in her childhood. The trial of Robinson was base on two similar trials and she says was not exaggeration. The juries were all white of course and the outcome was decided before any witnesses were called. In the South in first half of the 20th century, just the accusation that a black man had any personal contact with a white woman was enough for a tar and feathering or lynching.

Harper Lee book is not in the least bit about white guilt. This is a 21th century concoction. As explained in the book the mockingbird does no harm but sing their hearts out for us and it is sin to kill a mockingbird because it is innocence. To kill a mockingbird in the story means to destroy innocence. Throughout the book, a number of characters (Jem, Tom Robinson, Dill, Boo Radley, Mr. Raymond) can be identified as mockingbirds; that is innocents who have been injured or destroyed through contact with evil. This connection between the novel’s title and its main theme is made explicit several times in the novel such as after Tom Robinson is shot, Mr. Underwood compares his death to “the senseless slaughter of songbirds,” and at the end of the book Scout thinks that hurting Boo Radley would be like “shooting’ a mockingbird. It is no accident that Harper Lee made Jem and Scout’s last name Finch indicating that they are particularly vulnerable in a world that often treats the fragile innocence of childhood harshly.

Now, you are older, you might want to watch it again and note that the movie is being narrated by Scout so you are hearing the story from the child which makes the story funny, sad, a bit terrifying and by the end happy and hopeful.

Just a few comments about the movie:
Harper Lee decided to write the book in the early fifties and finished it long before the civil rights movement. It was not written as a book about civil rights but a story base on her recollections of here life as a child growing up in a small southern town during the depression.

When she decide to sell the rights for a movie to Universal she put stipulations in her contract giving her a lot of control over the production. For example she selected Horton Foot to write the screenplay. After both Jimmy Stewart and Rock Hudson turned down the lead role as Atticus because it was too controversial, Lee suggested Gregory Peck. Peck read the entire book in an evening and called the director and said he would play the role. However it turned out that Peck was contracted for other movies and could not start work for a year. Harper Lee demanded that production be shelved till Peck was free. She got what she wanted and the movie was delayed over a year.

Horton Foot recommend a stage actor named Robert Duvall for the part of Boo Radley. It was a small part with a single line which got cut but it was one of the most dramatic and torching scenes in the movie which launched his movie career.

During the production of the movie Gregory Peck became close friends with Harper Lee and several of the actors. Peck and Harper Lee would remains friends for life. Gregory Peck's granddaughter was named Harper. Brock Peters who played Tom Robinson gave the eulogy at Gregory Pecks funeral.

Years after the publican of To Kill a Mockingbird, another book that Lee wrote was discovered, Go Set a Watchmen. This book tackles the racial tensions of the 1950s. Any lover of Mockingbird will be horrified by this book. Scout as an adult returns home and discovers that her much loved father, Atticus has been affiliating with raving anti-integrationists and anti-black crazies. The reader shares Scout's horror and confusion. The theme of the book is disillusionment. For various reasons, some being legal, the book will probably never be made into a movie.

One thing to mention there were other bigotry Scout witnessed. The two sisters who were not married and lived together but the word people use to describe them made her think they may be republicans:auiqs.jpg:Then her comment about baptist is funny as well. And then Boo Bradly that everyone was afraid of turned out to be the good guy.

Although the book is fiction, Harper Lee's father was a lawyer and she based much of here book on actual events in her childhood. The trial of Robinson was base on two similar trials and she says was not exaggeration. The juries were all white of course and the outcome was decided before any witnesses were called. In the South in first half of the 20th century, just the accusation that a black man had any personal contact with a white woman was enough for a tar and feathering or lynching.

Harper Lee book is not in the least bit about white guilt. This is a 21th century concoction. As explained in the book the mockingbird does no harm but sing their hearts out for us and it is sin to kill a mockingbird because it is innocence. To kill a mockingbird in the story means to destroy innocence. Throughout the book, a number of characters (Jem, Tom Robinson, Dill, Boo Radley, Mr. Raymond) can be identified as mockingbirds; that is innocents who have been injured or destroyed through contact with evil. This connection between the novel’s title and its main theme is made explicit several times in the novel such as after Tom Robinson is shot, Mr. Underwood compares his death to “the senseless slaughter of songbirds,” and at the end of the book Scout thinks that hurting Boo Radley would be like “shooting’ a mockingbird. It is no accident that Harper Lee made Jem and Scout’s last name Finch indicating that they are particularly vulnerable in a world that often treats the fragile innocence of childhood harshly.
You are confused. It sure as hell was that filthy ass White Guilt. You can deny it all you want but it was.

Poor, poor Negro. White trash girl get horny and wants to be screwed by the big buck Negro. She lies and claims rape and the racists White jury find the Negro guilty despite the herotic efforts of the Hero Liberal lawyer. White kids think their Liberal father is the greatest hero of all time fighting racial injustice. Another example of evil Whites putting down the poor Negros. Give me a break. Nothing but White guilt bullshit in that story. The same pathetic weak woke crap you see in almost everything out of Hollywood nowadays including that remake of the race baiting story.

By the way, we see the same thing nowadays but in reverse. You will never get a fair trail when there are butt hurt Negroes on the jury. There are numerous examples of that going back to OJ.

Lee chose to write about subject and that was her right. The stupid Libtards swooned all over the book because of their filthy White Guilt. It is pathetic and to be ridiculed.

The book and the movie were brilliant, moving portraits of the complex and multi-faceted reality of black oppression and white racism in the deep South in that time of Jim Crow segregation and widespread economic depression.

You, Flash, are just an asshole.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back