To Kill a Mockingbird (youtube)

You are confused. It sure as hell was that filthy ass White Guilt. You can deny it all you want but it was.

Poor, poor Negro. White trash girl get horny and wants to be screwed by the big buck Negro. She lies and claims rape and the racists White jury find the Negro guilty despite the herotic efforts of the Hero Liberal lawyer. White kids think their Liberal father is the greatest hero of all time fighting racial injustice. Another example of evil Whites putting down the poor Negros. Give me a break. Nothing but White guilt bullshit in that story. The same pathetic weak woke crap you see in almost everything out of Hollywood nowadays including that remake of the race baiting story.

By the way, we see the same thing nowadays but in reverse. You will never get a fair trail when there are butt hurt Negroes on the jury. There are numerous examples of that going back to OJ.

Lee chose to write about subject and that was her right. The stupid Libtards swooned all over the book because of their filthy White Guilt. It is pathetic and to be ridiculed.
It hplds up a mirror to you and the few who share your views. Its ugly and thats why you hate it.

You are confused. It sure as hell was that filthy ass White Guilt. You can deny it all you want but it was.

Poor, poor Negro. White trash girl get horny and wants to be screwed by the big buck Negro. She lies and claims rape and the racists White jury find the Negro guilty despite the herotic efforts of the Hero Liberal lawyer. White kids think their Liberal father is the greatest hero of all time fighting racial injustice. Another example of evil Whites putting down the poor Negros. Give me a break. Nothing but White guilt bullshit in that story. The same pathetic weak woke crap you see in almost everything out of Hollywood nowadays including that remake of the race baiting story.

By the way, we see the same thing nowadays but in reverse. You will never get a fair trail when there are butt hurt Negroes on the jury. There are numerous examples of that going back to OJ.

Lee chose to write about subject and that was her right. The stupid Libtards swooned all over the book because of their filthy White Guilt. It is pathetic and to be ridiculed.
Sorry about all your guilt but you're wrong. That is not the point of book.

Last edited:
What the hell do you Eurotrash know about life in a Depression era Southern American town?

Fine acting and narrative but it wasn't much more than a race based soap opera and courtroom drama.
Fine acting and narrative is what makes fine movies. However, fine movies like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you pay attention to Scout's narration and Atticus's explanations of events, you will see that the race issue is subsidiary to the real theme of the movie which is loss of innocence.

Like millions of others, I believe it is a great movie as do the members of the Motion Picture Academy, the American Film Institute, the Smithsonian, the Library of Congress, British Academy of Film Awards, National Film Preservation Board, and Writers Guild of America . Harper Lee received a Pulitzer Prize for the book and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

Last edited:

I know it won Oscars and has a reputation and all that. Its free on youtube at the moment.

I wasnt overly impressed. I suppose at the time it was a bit daring in showing the black man as the victim but parts of it seem a bit worthy today.

However one particular scene is as good as any thing in any film anywhere.

Its when Atticus faces down the lynch mob. His kids run in to stand with him and the little girl recognises one of the mob.

Hey Mr Cunningham. Say hey to Walter for me

You can see the shame on his face as Scout talks to him about his son. Hate and decency at war in his soul and decency wins. They call off the lynching.

After I finished the film I went back and watched this scene a few times. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

If it's the whole thing, it should be a must-see for everyone. A real American Institution.

I remember seeing it when I was 9 years old, and the plot is rather complicated when that young.

I also remember watching Red Skelton and Al Jolson late at night too, so there's that.

In a culture where people have learned to accept things like racism, classism, anti-Semitism, and gynecide, it takes an event, maybe a book, movie, or personal experience to change the way people think.

That event for me came when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Mississippi in the late 40s. It was a late Saturday afternoon in summer. I was coming home on the bus after going to a double feature with some friends. I was sitting at the very front of the bus and it stopped to pick up an older black man wearing a suit. He paid the driver and sat down right across from me. The driver turned and said boy get to the back of the bus or something like that. The old black man just sat there. The driver told him again and the old man just sat there. The driver grabs the old guy and literally throws him off the bus. I look around and he's laying in the street on his back not moving. The driver turned around and said something about damn N**** not knowing his place. I dismissed it at the time but in years to come I thought about that event a lot and how wrong it was. Never said anything about it to my parents or friends but it changed the way I thought about the treatment of black people. Before then I don't think I ever thought about how black people were being treated. They were just there to pickup garbage, clean the floor, sweep the streets, clean the houses, and do all kinds jobs that white people didn't do.

Of course I can never understand the experience of African Americans during Jim Crow Era. I am much better familiar with a considerably milder experience of Jews in USSR 1968-86 (we left in 1983).

Of course I can never understand the experience of African Americans during Jim Crow Era. I am much better familiar with a considerably milder experience of Jews in USSR 1968-86 (we left in 1983).
Bias based on religion, race, sex, ethnicity, age, and disabilities is based on perceptions that may or many not be valid. For example consider the perception that an 80 year old will not be physically able to do the job, a Jew will be uncomfortable in our social gatherings, Hispanics are just too lazy to do the job, women don't have the stomach for this kind of work, etc... It all boils down to not treating people as individuals but rather applying general perceptions of a group to all members of the group. People tend to learn this social cauterization from their parents.

Last edited:
Movies and books focus on the most dramatic events in the lives of black Americans in South during the Jim Crow era. Although there was much exaggeration, KKK murders of blacks certainly occurred and there was often unequal justice for Blacks and Whites. However, for Blacks in the South during this era it was day to day bias and unequal treatment that made life unbearable for many and drove them out of the South. In 1900, 9 out 10 black Americans lived in the South. By 1970, the South was home to only half the country's black Americans. The black migration out the South in 20th century was not due fear of violence but rather unequal treatment in daily life.

The fear of a black uprising in 19th century was real in the South which gave rise to laws and regulations that kept black people out of public office. Segregation became a means of keeping blacks in their place which meant at bottom Escalon of society. Little signs in buses reminded blacks everyday that relegated to the back of bus. Black public schools were another reminders to Blacks of their place in the community. Most black public schools in first half of the 20th century were the oldest schools and
If it's the whole thing, it should be a must-see for everyone. A real American Institution.

I remember seeing it when I was 9 years old, and the plot is rather complicated when that young.

I also remember watching Red Skelton and Al Jolson late at night too, so there's that.
The movie taken as whole is not accurate picture of life in small town in Alabama during the depression. If you eliminated the Tom Robinson trial and killing it would be. Blacks
Maybe it is an Americana thing. I am 68. I grew up in the south, back when black were mostly field workers and prejudice not considered, just was, what it was and was normal. These attitudes, these people were around me. I could have been one of those kids. Maybe you had to have lived there to really get it. It really is a great movie
I too was raised in the South also. Without the trial and killing of Tom Robinson, the movie is a good example of life in a small southern town in 1930.

Atticus Finch, as the small town lawyer who like most upper middle class white citizens supports the southern way of life which means segregation of the races and keeping Blacks and Whites in their respective places. He understands the plight of Blacks and certainly is sympathetic. He respects Black people, shows kindness and is willing help them wherever he can. However he also understands the need for Blacks to perform their role in society which is picking the cotton, doing domestic work, and manual labor. In short, Atticus represents the best in a very flawed society.

Bob Ewell represents the opposite end of White society. He's poor, uneducated, carries a deep hatred of Blacks, and is prone to immoral behavior. In other worlds he is "poor white trash". His beliefs about race are far different than Atticus Finch, who he considers a N****** lover. He lives in fear that Blacks will someday rise up in society and his only comfort in life, knowing that at least he ain't a N***** will be gone. It is people like Bob Ewell that were at the heart of violence against Blacks in the South. He represents the worst in a very flawed society.

Movies and books focus on the most dramatic events in the lives of black Americans in South during the Jim Crow era. Although there was much exaggeration, KKK murders of blacks certainly occurred and there was often unequal justice for Blacks and Whites. However, for Blacks in the South during this era it was day to day bias and unequal treatment that made life unbearable for many and drove them out of the South. In 1900, 9 out 10 black Americans lived in the South. By 1970, the South was home to only half the country's black Americans. The black migration out the South in 20th century was not due fear of violence but rather unequal treatment in daily life.
Agree 100%. Situation of African Americans in the South was much worse then situation of Jews in USSR. A big majority of Jews also left Russia between 1968 and 1995.

The fear of a black uprising in 19th century was real in the South which gave rise to laws and regulations that kept black people out of public office. Segregation became a means of keeping blacks in their place which meant at bottom Escalon of society. Little signs in buses reminded blacks everyday that relegated to the back of bus. Black public schools were another reminders to Blacks of their place in the community. Most black public schools in first half of the 20th century were the oldest schools and

The movie taken as whole is not accurate picture of life in small town in Alabama during the depression. If you eliminated the Tom Robinson trial and killing it would be. Blacks

I too was raised in the South also. Without the trial and killing of Tom Robinson, the movie is a good example of life in a small southern town in 1930.

Atticus Finch, as the small town lawyer who like most upper middle class white citizens supports the southern way of life which means segregation of the races and keeping Blacks and Whites in their respective places. He understands the plight of Blacks and certainly is sympathetic. He respects Black people, shows kindness and is willing help them wherever he can. However he also understands the need for Blacks to perform their role in society which is picking the cotton, doing domestic work, and manual labor. In short, Atticus represents the best in a very flawed society.

Bob Ewell represents the opposite end of White society. He's poor, uneducated, carries a deep hatred of Blacks, and is prone to immoral behavior. In other worlds he is "poor white trash". His beliefs about race are far different than Atticus Finch, who he considers a N****** lover. He lives in fear that Blacks will someday rise up in society and his only comfort in life, knowing that at least he ain't a N***** will be gone. It is people like Bob Ewell that were at the heart of violence against Blacks in the South. He represents the worst in a very flawed society.
I would add the fears of the Ewell types turned into violence by propaganda promoted by the better off whites through the media of the day and those in politics.

Isnt that also the basis of civil rights?

Treating everyone equally because its the right thing to do?
Under the law, it is treaing people equally but in everyday life it's treating people fairly.
Isnt that also the basis of civil rights?

Treating everyone equally because its the right thing to do?
Treating everyone equally under law and treating everyone fairly in everyday life is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
It is just a book. Fiction.

Harper Lee could have written a rich story of the two kids and their loving father living a small Southern town during the Depression without the filthy ass White Guilt woke bullshit.
Yes she could and it would never have won a Pulitzer, never been made into a movie and we would not be writing about it today. The Trial of Tom Robinson and his death were critical to theme of book because the book was not about southern life during the depression but rather how good and evil can coexist within a single community or individual.

It was also important to symbolism represented by the Mockingbird.

For me it was a great book, and an even better movie. I wasn’t crazy about the long jury scene for some reason (though the scenes in the gallery were wonderful), or Brook Peters’ acting, but the rest was superb.

From the first opening scene (and music) you knew it would be stupendous, and that it would in part be about children and loving memories. It is more than a “civil rights” story, much more. It’s about growing up and learning about right and wrong.
And the last lines of the book and movie...

Scout said, "Atticus, he was real nice…” His hands were under my chin, pulling up the cover, tucking it around me. “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.” He turned out the light and went into Jem’s room. He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning."

There are few movies today, I can walk away from really feeling good. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of them. When I read the book, in the 60's, I knew it was great book and thought it would be a great movie and I wasn't disappointed.

Well, I'm white and I don't feel a bit guilty. In fact, you're the first person I ever heard that suggest that.

Forum List

Back