To Kill a Mockingbird (youtube)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

I know it won Oscars and has a reputation and all that. Its free on youtube at the moment.

I wasnt overly impressed. I suppose at the time it was a bit daring in showing the black man as the victim but parts of it seem a bit worthy today.

However one particular scene is as good as any thing in any film anywhere.

Its when Atticus faces down the lynch mob. His kids run in to stand with him and the little girl recognises one of the mob.

Hey Mr Cunningham. Say hey to Walter for me

You can see the shame on his face as Scout talks to him about his son. Hate and decency at war in his soul and decency wins. They call off the lynching.

After I finished the film I went back and watched this scene a few times. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

I know it won Oscars and has a reputation and all that. Its free on youtube at the moment.

I wasnt overly impressed. I suppose at the time it was a bit daring in showing the black man as the victim but parts of it seem a bit worthy today.

Its when Atticus faces down the lynch mob. His kids run in to stand with him and the little girl recognises one of the mob.

You can see the shame on his face as Scout talks to him about his son. Hate and decency at war in his soul and decency wins. They call off the lynching.

After I finished the film I went back and watched this scene a few times. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

Maybe it is an Americana thing. I am 68. I grew up in the south, back when black were mostly field workers and prejudice not considered, just was, what it was and was normal. These attitudes, these people were around me. I could have been one of those kids. Maybe you had to have lived there to really get it. It really is a great movie

Maybe it is an Americana thing. I am 68. I grew up in the south, back when black were mostly field workers and prejudice not considered, just was, what it was and was normal. These attitudes, these people were around me. I could have been one of those kids. Maybe you had to have lived there to really get it. It really is a great movie
Yup. I did enjoy it to a point.

The problem with any civil rights movie of that era is that guilt-ridden white libs think it happened yesterday
It looks like it was set in the 20s. It probably said as much about class as it did about race.
Eductated middle class people like Finch and working class shit kickers like pretty much everyone else.

I never watch any movie based on one of my favorite books. They never do it justice. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

To Kill a Mockingbird, both the movie and the book will always have a special place in my heart because it brings back so many fond and not so fond memories of my childhood living in a small southern town in the 40s and 50's.

The movie is listed number 25 on AFI's 100 Best Movies of All Times. It was nominated for 8 academy awards and won 3. The Book has sold 30 million copies and translated into 40 languages. It has been voted the best American novel of the 20th century and one of the top 10 American novels all times, and numerous other awards. But does this make To Kill a Mockingbird good. It is good, only YOU like it.

The problem with any civil rights movie of that era is that guilt-ridden white libs think it happened yesterday
I'm sure some people see it as just another civil rights story but it is about a lot more than that. It is about right and wrong, about kindness and meanness. It is symbolically about killing a mockingbird.

In the movie, Miss Maudie explains to Scout why people say it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. "Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

To kill a mockingbird in the story means to destroy innocence. Throughout the book, a number of characters (Jem, Tom Robinson, Dill, Boo Radley, Mr. Raymond) can be identified as mockingbirds; that is innocents who have been injured or destroyed through contact with evil. This connection between the novel’s title and its main theme is made explicit several times in the novel such as after Tom Robinson is shot, Mr. Underwood compares his death to “the senseless slaughter of songbirds,” and at the end of the book Scout thinks that hurting Boo Radley would be like “shootin’ a mockingbird. It is no accident that Harper Lee made Jem and Scout’s last name Finch indicating that they are particularly vulnerable in a world that often treats the fragile innocence of childhood harshly.

This is one of those cases where the movie was better than the book
The movie follows the book so closely, it kind of depends on what you like. For me, the wonderful casting of Gregory Peck as Atticus, Mary Badham as Scout, Brock Peters as Tom Robinson, and Robert Duvall as Boo Radley brought the book to life. I think Harper Lee's insistence that Gregory Peck play Atticus and Horton Foot write the script were major factors in the success of the movie.

Oh dear. I gave up on that one a while back. There are a few "major" works I have struggled with. I might start a thread on that.
I will read it in February on the nastiest days. Ice fish morning and Don Quixote in the afternoon. Maybe on Jan 4th the day after duck season ends if I don't go to the keys for a month.

Forum List

Back