What is your favorite streaming service?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Netflix - over 240 million subscribers, most outside the US; an international flavor and lots of new stuff each week
Amazon Prime - Available in only 22 countries so less international, fewer but possible better releases than Netflix
Hulu- About 95% of members are from the US or Canada so less international
HBO Max - Known for blockbuster hits like the Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, the large HBO library is a real plus
Paramount+ Mostly CBS offering with lots Star Trek programing
Britbox -lots of UK series and many Masterpiece Theater presentations going back to Upstairs Downstairs days.
Apple TV+ ???
YouTube TV - ??

There are probably others I don't know about.

Netflix - over 240 million subscribers, most outside the US; an international flavor and lots of new stuff each week
Amazon Prime - Available in only 22 countries so less international, fewer but possible better releases than Netflix
HBO Max - Known for blockbuster hits like the Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, the large HBO library is a real plus
Britbox -lots of UK series and many Masterpiece Theater presentations going back to Upstairs Downstairs days.
Apple TV+ ???
YouTube TV - ??

HBO Max is probably my favorite paid service.

PBS is incredible but inconsistent.

I love Roku.

I use Amazon but Netflix has a bunch of things I want to see, so I will probably check them out. Same thing with HBO Max. There's a lot of them, I might check them all out eventually. Criterion Collection has a large library of older films and is a nicely done site, classy looking.

Apple TV+ ???
YouTube TV - ??

VULU....

I use Amazon but Netflix has a bunch of things I want to see, so I will probably check them out. Same thing with HBO Max. There's a lot of them, I might check them all out eventually. Criterion Collection has a large library of older films and is a nicely done site, classy looking.
I'll have to explore Criterion Collection as I'm an old movie fan. I gave up trying to watch it all. It's just too much.

Netflix is going to win that for most. By sheer volume alone. If you can't find something to watch on Netflix - then you aren't looking. They have a number of very good limited series, and seasonal series as well.
So, to me, the question is "what is your favorite, other than Netflix"
For me - probably Discovery+. We watch it a lot.

AppleTV - if you haven't at least tried the free trial, you are missing some really great stuff.
Severance is a TV series like none other.
The Servant is another series worth it's weight in gold.
AppleTV is extremely cheap... but very little content as of now.

Has anyone tried Hulu?
We had Hulu for awhile.
It is basically NBC streaming channel with all NBC content with some original content.
It is a good service to sign up for, watch what you want, quit the subscription for a year. And come back to watch the new seasons.
Other than that - there is not much there.

We had Hulu for awhile.
It is basically NBC streaming channel with all NBC content with some original content.
It is a good service to sign up for, watch what you want, quit the subscription for a year. And come back to watch the new seasons.
Other than that - there is not much there.
Are you sure you don't have it mixed up with Peacock, NBC's streaming service?

I have a satellite service that offers pretty good programs. What is this "streaming stuff"? You get to watch a movie on a device when you are enjoying a meal or weeding the garden? WTF?

I have a satellite service that offers pretty good programs. What is this "streaming stuff"? You get to watch a movie on a device when you are enjoying a meal or weeding the garden? WTF?
You get to watch a movie or programs whenever you choose. In years past the only way we could do that was to record it or make trips to video stores and search their inventory.

The biggest problem with streaming is finding and deciding on what to watch. For most people having more programs and movies to chose from every night spread over multiple streaming services is exponentially more complicated now than the old days of switching on the TV and scanning a cable guide to see what's on tonight. Today with streaming, everything is on and you have thousands of items to chose from which is stressful added to the stress that each steaming service works differently.

This is known a the paradox of choice where more can actually be less when it come to entertainment.

.... added to the stress that each steaming service works differently.
You are right there.
Another nod to Netflix, their interface works way better than others.
The worst is probably Peacock. No... take that back,,, AppleTV is the worst. Absolutely terrible.
Discovery Plus is not very good either. Hmm... as I sit here... I guess everyone but Netflix has a bad interface.
The problem with all of the others is the difficulty in looking up episodes. It is like they are trying to prevent you from doing so.

You are right there.
Another nod to Netflix, their interface works way better than others.
The worst is probably Peacock. No... take that back,,, AppleTV is the worst. Absolutely terrible.
Discovery Plus is not very good either. Hmm... as I sit here... I guess everyone but Netflix has a bad interface.
The problem with all of the others is the difficulty in looking up episodes. It is like they are trying to prevent you from doing so.
You're right, Peacock is terrible. I found that response time is very inconsistent. Also finding stuff is harder.
I think Prime's interface is almost as good as Netflix. Prime has an option to only show what is free to me, however that feature does not work on all platforms. I like the X-ray feature which allows you to check the names of the characters and actors in a scene you are watching without leaving the video. Prime has less than Netflix but the quality of the productions seem a bit better than Netflix.

I think HBO has the best offering due to their large inventory of excellent HBO productions like the Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, etc. However on the downside. they don't offer a lot new stuff ever week like Netflix.

Netflix has a good interface, a large inventory, and lots new stuff every week. What I don't like about their service is they are trying make movies and series that can be shown and appreciated in 140 countries, dubbing them in 4 to 15 languages. Many of these movies and series are shot in Spain, Poland, Romania, or just about any place where the production cost is low. The scripts are written so the location can be almost anywhere thus the audience has no connection with the setting and the casts are often not that great.

You're right, Peacock is terrible. I found that response time is very inconsistent. Also finding stuff is harder.
I think Prime's interface is almost as good as Netflix. Prime has an option to only show what is free to me, however that feature does not work on all platforms. I like the X-ray feature which allows you to check the names of the characters and actors in a scene you are watching without leaving the video. Prime has less than Netflix but the quality of the productions seem a bit better than Netflix.

I think HBO has the best offering due to their large inventory of excellent HBO productions like the Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, etc. However on the downside. they don't offer a lot new stuff ever week like Netflix.

Netflix has a good interface, a large inventory, and lots new stuff every week. What I don't like about their service is they are trying make movies and series that can be shown and appreciated in 140 countries, dubbing them in 4 to 15 languages. Many of these movies and series are shot in Spain, Poland, Romania, or just about any place where the production cost is low. The scripts are written so the location can be almost anywhere thus the audience has no connection with the setting and the casts are often not that great.
Oh we love the X-ray feature also. Especially in old movies.

Oh we love the X-ray feature also. Especially in old movies.
It's really usefully if you miss part of a movie and you don't know who the characters are on the screen. Just a click on x-ray and Prime shows you the names of the characters and the actors.

Forum List

Back