To ignite the economy:

..you envision allot of Canadians in plaid flannel shirts carrying cans of gas across the border to fill up the pick ups in International Falls?
lol! I really need to spend more time w/ the cartoon channel over the holidays. This is what I was going at (from here)...
topoilim.png

--and Canada's also America's biggest foreign electrical power source too.

Oil Consumption in North America

The total of these numbers is about 10,589,000 barrels per day. At $100/barrel, that's about 390 TRILLION dollars per year. (Numbers this big confuse me. The way i figure this is 10,589 x 1000 barrels per day x 365 days x $100 = $386,498,500,000.00. Is that about 390 Trillion?)

If that is the case, in order to replace this demand with American jobs, we would probably need to open the borders to ALL countries, not just mexico, and let as many people in as we could handle.

Oil Consumption in North America

Currently, the United States consumes 19.6 million barrels per day, of oil, which is more than 25% of the world's total.. As a result, the U.S produces one fourth of the world's carbon emissions. Despite predictions that the U.S. will exhaust it's supply of oil in as little as forty years, the demand is on the increase, and is predicted to continue increasing, because of the ever increasing population. Increase in resource consumption is caused by three factors: population growth, new uses found for a resource, and increase in demand for a resource to increase living standards. The rate of consumption for oil is increasing at a rate of about 2% yearly.

U.S. Oil Production

The United States produced enough oil to supply it's own demand until 1970, (Youngquist paragraph 6). In that year the U.S. had to start importing oil to meet the demand. The oil production for 2000 is expected to average 5.8 million barrels per day of crude oil. The production for 1999 was 5.9 million barrels per day. After the oil price collapse of 1985/1986, U.S. oil production declined dramatically. Oil production in 2000 is down by 24% from 1985. However, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), oil production is expected to increase by 70,000 barrels per day, or 1.1% in 2001. There is little to no chance of discovering any significant new onshore oil fields in the U.S. There is a good possibility of discovering major deposits of oil offshore, but offshore drilling has been banned in many areas. There are several good prospects far offshore that are open to exploration, but these are usually in very deep waters, and are extremely expensive to drill. The U.S. produces 12% of the world's oil, and and this production is concentrated onshore, and offshore along the Texas Louisiana Gulf Coast, extending inland through west Texas, Oklahoma, and eastern Kansas. There are also significant oil fields in Alaska along the central North Slope.

...Obamacare alone meant so many new hikes it even included hiring 40,000 new IRS workers.
Every time CON$ mindlessly parrot this GOP scripted lie...
Back here on the Planet Earth the US Treasury's IRS Congressional budget request starts with--
Implement the Affordable Care (ACA) Act.

Implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 presents a major challenge to the IRS. ACA represents the largest set of tax law changes in more than 20 years, with more than 40 provisions that amend the tax laws. Although the new law goes into effect gradually over many years, many provisions required immediate action, including the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit, the Qualifying Therapeutic Discovery Credit, and the expanded Adoption Credit.

To enact the range of provisions that were retroactive to 2009 and immediately effective for calendar year 2010, the IRS focused on: developing new systems and business processes for near-term provisions; conducting initial planning for longer-term provisions; and defining appropriate outreach activities for each affected group.
--and goes on and on about hundreds of millions needed right now for the new hires.
Gee, no surprise you could not back up your lie but chose instead to simply lie some more like a typical CON$ervative.

From your own link the budget for the whole year was $100,537,000 for everything, yet you claim "HUNDREDS (PLURAL) OF MILLIONS" are needed "right now" to train these imaginary new agents.

...Obamacare alone meant so many new hikes it even included hiring 40,000 new IRS workers.
Back here on the Planet Earth the US Treasury's IRS Congressional budget request starts with--

Implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 presents a major challenge to the IRS. ACA represents the largest set of tax law changes in more than 20 years, with more than 40 provisions that amend the tax laws. Although the new law goes into effect gradually over many years, many provisions required immediate action, including the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit, the Qualifying Therapeutic Discovery Credit, and the expanded Adoption Credit.

To enact the range of provisions that were retroactive to 2009 and immediately effective for calendar year 2010, the IRS focused on: developing new systems and business processes for near-term provisions; conducting initial planning for longer-term provisions; and defining appropriate outreach activities for each affected group.

--and goes on and on about hundreds of millions needed right now for the new hires.

The most impressive part of Obamacare is that the law itself is 2300 pages in length. The regulations that support any law usually expand on a factor of between 10 and 100 pages to 1 page of the original law. This means that the pages of regulations needed to enact Obamacare will number 23,000 and 230,000.

In other words, and there will be no other words left unused after this debacle, the government will be able to simply change anything about the law at any time for any reason for anybody. That many words will provide so many hidden and implied or uncertain meanings that nothing will be expressly allowed or proscribed.

This is an abortion of cosmic proportion and will end us.

...Numbers this big confuse me. The way i figure this is 10,589 x 1000 barrels per day x 365 days x $100 = $386,498,500,000.00. Is that about 390 Trillion?...
Confuses me too. Let's try again. From my DOE link I got--
Total crude oil imports averaged 9,021 thousand barrels per day in August​
--and times 365 days times $100/bl it should be $329B annual oil imports.

The most impressive part of Obamacare is that the law itself is 2300 pages in length. The regulations that support any law usually expand on a factor of between 10 and 100 pages to 1 page of the original law. This means that the pages of regulations needed to enact Obamacare will number 23,000 and 230,000.

In other words, and there will be no other words left unused after this debacle, the government will be able to simply change anything about the law at any time for any reason for anybody. That many words will provide so many hidden and implied or uncertain meanings that nothing will be expressly allowed or proscribed.

This is an abortion of cosmic proportion and will end us.
Yet another dishonest CON$ervative who will not admit that 40,000 new agents is just a typical GOP lie.

...40,000 new agents is just a typical GOP lie.
We'll understand you made that up, unless you can provide links to GOP websites with the 40k number plus other links showing that the number was intentionally deceitfully false.

When Kennedy was elected, he challenged the country to put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth. This created the new world, It was a hinge moment in the history of mankind that connected and divided everything that came before with everything that followed.

Why not do it again?

We as a county should commit to end the importation of any kind of energy from any foreign sources by the year 2022. Drill our own oil, mine our own coal, gasify coal, harvest Natural gas, use solar, nuclear, wind batteries and all the rest.

This would remove us from the world market of energy consumption and undermine the importance of the Middle East in our planning and economy. It would create hundreds of thousands of jobs and create an industrial expansion like the dot com revolution of the 90's. With our demand removed from the world's demand, the price of oil would drop everywhere to prices low enough to spur the economies and open the markets of countries world wide.

Our drive to achieve this would catapult us into the front of the energy research fields and we would have the products to manufacture and export to the rest of the world.

Just a thought.

How long does it take to get all the permits needed for a new project?

Until we fix that, "igniting" is not a possibility. "Fizzle" to "slow burn" is all you get.

...Numbers this big confuse me. The way i figure this is 10,589 x 1000 barrels per day x 365 days x $100 = $386,498,500,000.00. Is that about 390 Trillion?...
Confuses me too. Let's try again. From my DOE link I got--
Total crude oil imports averaged 9,021 thousand barrels per day in August​
--and times 365 days times $100/bl it should be $329B annual oil imports.

This is why I'm not an accountant.

Still, that's about $10,000 per head for every one of our unemployed. Instead of sending it outside the country, it might be nice to re-circulate it here.

The most impressive part of Obamacare is that the law itself is 2300 pages in length.

No, it isn't. Is it really that difficult to open a document before parroting nonsense you've heard somewhere?

This is one of those cases where what i said was both inaccurate and true. The message was that the regulations sprouting from the law would be excessive and it turns out that they are.

You have to wonder what will be in the regulations that support those pages of the law that was not read before it was passed.

I stand corrected. I was also in error as to the exponential expansion from law to regulation as shown below:

6 Pages of Obamacare Equals 429 Pages of Regulations - US News and World Report

Giving proof to Main Street's worries that President Obama's healthcare reform will lead to thousands of new and costly regulations, the Department of Health and Human Services has taken one small section of the law and written enough new rules to every page of Obama's campaign book, The Audacity of Hope—plus another 45 pages. [Check out a roundup of political cartoons on healthcare.]

Section 3022 of the law, which is about the Medicare shared savings program, take up just six pages in the 907-page Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. But HHS has turned that into 429 pages of new regulations and that's too much, says Republican Wyoming Sen. John Barrasso, a practicing doctor.

"Regulations increase the cost of doing business," he says. He distributed a fact sheet on the book of regulations to fellow Republicans this week. [See photos of the Obamas behind the scenes.]

You can see for yourself what he's talking about. Here is the link to the actual law. Section 3022 is on pages 297-302.

I stand corrected. I was also in error as to the exponential expansion from law to regulation as shown below:

6 Pages of Obamacare Equals 429 Pages of Regulations - US News and World Report

Giving proof to Main Street's worries that President Obama's healthcare reform will lead to thousands of new and costly regulations, the Department of Health and Human Services has taken one small section of the law and written enough new rules to every page of Obama's campaign book, The Audacity of Hope—plus another 45 pages. [Check out a roundup of political cartoons on healthcare.]

Section 3022 of the law, which is about the Medicare shared savings program, take up just six pages in the 907-page Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. But HHS has turned that into 429 pages of new regulations and that's too much, says Republican Wyoming Sen. John Barrasso, a practicing doctor.

"Regulations increase the cost of doing business," he says. He distributed a fact sheet on the book of regulations to fellow Republicans this week. [See photos of the Obamas behind the scenes.]

You can see for yourself what he's talking about. Here is the link to the actual law. Section 3022 is on pages 297-302.

Same bullshit. Those regulations are 17 pages long (and that's being generous). The new regulatory language going into the CFR starts at page 172 of this 189 page document.

Last edited:
...$329B annual oil imports.
...that's about $10,000 per head for every one of our unemployed. Instead of sending it outside the country...
That doesn't make any sense. OK, I know everyone says it but it's still nonsense. We don't buy Canadian oil with American dollars because in Canada they only take Canadian money. No problem, we use the Canadian dollars we get when we sell US goods to Canadians.

Bottom line, there's no $10,000 being sent out of the country.

Who really cares how long the law and the regulations are? It's the effect that's important. I could write a government regulation that would bring American business to a screeching halt in one sentence: "All for-profit organizations in the United States must have all their business decisions approved by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid". There you go. Everyone's completely fucked from that point on. Conversely I could write 10,000 pages of bullshit that won't have any effect whatsoever.

The point is that whether it's one page or 10,000 pages, Obamacare is a financial disaster for American business and any liberal argument to the contrary is simply laughable.

Who really cares how long the law and the regulations are? It's the effect that's important. I could write a government regulation that would bring American business to a screeching halt in one sentence: "All for-profit organizations in the United States must have all their business decisions approved by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid". There you go. Everyone's completely fucked from that point on. Conversely I could write 10,000 pages of bullshit that won't have any effect whatsoever.

The point is that whether it's one page or 10,000 pages, Obamacare is a financial disaster for American business and any liberal argument to the contrary is simply laughable.

Pure dogma.

Why, in your own words, do you feel it's a financial disaster? I got a tax cut as a result of the legislation.

Pure dogma.

Why, in your own words, do you feel it's a financial disaster? I got a tax cut as a result of the legislation.

Well I am not sure what business you are running but I'd sure like to see how you pulled that off. Obamacare has created uncertainty in business. No one has any idea what is coming their way and they won't have any certainty regarding the economic terrain they will be forced to deal with until the SCOTUS rules on it. That won't be until sometime in late spring probably. Nothing will improve until then. If it is tossed out the economy may start to recover but it will be slow because economic growth is always a bit slower in an election year because again there is uncertainty in future government policy that will affect business.

If it is not thrown out businesses will have to decide on how they are going to approach their employees and what coverage (if any) they will provide and they will make that decision based upon the financial impact it will have on their profitability.

When Kennedy was elected, he challenged the country to put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth. This created the new world, It was a hinge moment in the history of mankind that connected and divided everything that came before with everything that followed.

Why not do it again?

We as a county should commit to end the importation of any kind of energy from any foreign sources by the year 2022. Drill our own oil, mine our own coal, gasify coal, harvest Natural gas, use solar, nuclear, wind batteries and all the rest.

This would remove us from the world market of energy consumption and undermine the importance of the Middle East in our planning and economy. It would create hundreds of thousands of jobs and create an industrial expansion like the dot com revolution of the 90's. With our demand removed from the world's demand, the price of oil would drop everywhere to prices low enough to spur the economies and open the markets of countries world wide.

Our drive to achieve this would catapult us into the front of the energy research fields and we would have the products to manufacture and export to the rest of the world.

Just a thought.

I like it. That way we can ignore the middle east and not give a flying fuck if they all invade and kill each other.

Who really cares how long the law and the regulations are?

You'll have to ask those who feel something as trivial as page count is important enough to warrant exaggerating by between 2.5 and 25 times to make a political point.

If it is not thrown out businesses will have to decide on how they are going to approach their employees and what coverage (if any) they will provide and they will make that decision based upon the financial impact it will have on their profitability.

As opposed to what? You think if the law didn't exist employers wouldn't need to make financial decisions about employee compensation packages?

...40,000 new agents is just a typical GOP lie.
We'll understand you made that up, unless you can provide links to GOP websites with the 40k number plus other links showing that the number was intentionally deceitfully false.
YOU are the one who posted the 40,000 number. You didn't get it from any Democratic site or the health care bill!!!

Forum List

Back