Thanks for What?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by georgephillip, Nov 24, 2011.

1. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    The New York Times editorial that reveals "(o)ne in three Americans--100 million people--is either poor or perilously close to it"?

Well-known lefty Robert Sheer writes of his childhood and the illusion of abundance provided by Thanksgiving "when the food on my family's table was not the leftover produce that my Uncle Leon could no longer sell in his stall, or the nearly spoiled organ meats that our local butcher offered at a steep discount."

"Then came the economic miracle of World War II..."

"Every time I need to be reminded of what was done for my generation in the way of generous government-funded programs, I reread the part of Colin Powell’s inspiring autobiography where he writes about the educational opportunities and vigorous community support programs that postwar kids in the Bronx were afforded.

"Powell and I were engineering students in the same class at the City College of New York, though I didn’t get to know him until he was famous and I spoke with him as a journalist.

"But the great opportunities available to us, as compared to what is available to the poor today, is a recognition we share."

Robert Scheer: Thanks for What? - Robert Scheer's Columns - Truthdig

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Americans have no concept of what real poverty is. Because not one of us lives in real poverty. Not one. And Thank (insert deity of choice here) for that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    So now to make it seem like more the left is lumping in anyone they want in poor " or well almost poor" section as they demand more money, more debt, more Government control?

Powell I am sure paid for his education just like everyone else does. Or rather did until Obama told the OWS people he understands why they want to be forgiven the loans they willingly took out for Higher education.

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,403
    The leftists in government, both in Congress and in the bureaucracy, have a vested interest in being sure that sufficient people are 'poor' to keep them in their lucrative positions. So the threshhold for poverty continues to be raised. Never mind that more than a few of the 'poor' probably drive a better car than you do, could have a bigger and newer refrigerator and big screen TV, a cell phone, and reasonably nice furniture in their government subsidized housing.

There are also many, made dependent on government entitlements, who are condemned to the rat infested inner city projects where they eat sitting on the floor lest a stray bullet hit somebody and where their kids are afraid to go out unless they have a gang to go to, and whole generations are angry, often violent, and essentially unemployable. There is something wrong with a society in which there is an interest both in government and among the people to keep people in that kind of situation despite more than $10 trillion now expended on the so-called war on poverty.

We need to do it much differently.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Are Mexicans Americans?

If the 1% in this country continue to grow richer with each passing year, "real poverty" however you are defining it will become as familiar to US citizens as it is to citizens of Mexico.

Which deity will you thank for that?

6. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    We are supposed to be the richest nation in the world, but conservatives will turn a blind eye to or "poo poo" the income inequality here because poor people in this country have microwaves.

7. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    The poor in America are certainly better off than the poor in Third World countries. That's something that I'm proud of as an American.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    That's a broad sweeping generalization about the left. IMO, government is wasteful and inefficient. We can cut back without hurting people.

I have no problem with reducing the size of the government. I have a problem with keeping the Bush tax cuts for the rich.

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,430
    Not only that, but they use food stamps to buy filet mignon and drive Escalades

10. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Powell had his tuition paid for like all other vets of the time.
    OWS is saying this country is rich enough to extend that benefit to all citizens.
    The 1% disagrees and demands greater public debt to cover their private losses on Wall Street.

G.I. Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia