Timothy Dalton was a Great James Bond

Discussion in 'TV Forum' started by Synthaholic, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Adamantium Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,010
  2. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +10,156
    I've never seen him be bad, actually. He was even a hoot in 'Beautician And The Beast', with Fran Drescher.

3. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +10,156
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    Yeah trolls like him have horrible reading comprehension problems.:rolleyes:

5. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    It would be a tie between him and wooden Pierce Brosnan.Flip a coin on those two,you cant go wrong.I was so pissed when Brosnan took over fromr Dalton.

Dalton was 1o times better and I was elated when he took over the role from Roger Moore instead of Brosnan as it was being reported he would be next in line. Four films of Brosnan were so painful to sit through. Dalton was highly underrated as Bond and that was the worst thing to happen when mr wooden pierce brosnan took over from him.a travesty of justice.:mad:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    For me,Connery and Moore are the only true James Bond actors.All the others are phony wanna be's. Yeah I know a lot of people dont like Moore but thats because of the direction the series started to take when he came onboard. as Dalton said in that link you provided earlier,he was offered the role back then when Diamonds are forever was made but he turned it down because he did not like the direction the series had taken and it started with that movie and really became more so under Moore.

Moore is my favorite Bond and then Connery second and thats because I grew up with Moore and never knew about Connery until many years later. Moore for me is my favorite because I loved his sarcasm.He would always crack jokes when his life was in danger and was mr calm all the time.Never panicked when things looked grim for him.

LIke in the fight with Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me he gets that metal attracting device to grab Jaws by his teeth and it picks him up in the air and he says to him while remaining calm without cracking a smile-"Hows that grab you?" You look at the one James Bond film he was in where the movie under him WAS serious Live and Let Die,where they stayed away from having so much comedy in it,he was great in that film.

As I said, Moore and Connery for me are the only real James Bond actors but Dalton is easily leaps and bounds a much better Bond that Brosnan.the guy could not act,was wooden as hell and you had the sense he was just there because he HAD to be there,that he really did not want to be there and was not enjoying what he was doing.Moore and Connery you could tell always enjoyed and had fun with it. Dalton should have remained as Bond for at least three more films after the two he did. should have been Dalton with four films as Bond and Brosnan with only two.that was an injustice.

7. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39,261
    If you look back on Dalton's career, a long career, you see he had a knack for getting into some very high quality movies, mostly of a historical nature, such as Mary Queen of Scots, Cromwell, The Lion in Winter, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,452
    I was not favorably impressed with Mr. Dalton's performance in The Living Daylights. I had the sense that he couldn't decide whether he was supposed to be playing Sean Connery or Roger Moore, and he seemed to keep flip-flopping between rather poor impressions of each.

In License to Kill, he was much better. He finally got that he wasn't supposed to be playing Sean Connery, and he wasn't supposed to be playing Roger Moore; he was supposed to be playing James Bond. And here, he played the role spectacularly. It was a rather different role, than usual, for the character, not just the professional government agent out to do his job; but an angry, vengeful James Bond determined, at all costs, to take down the villain responsible for the maiming of his close friend and the rape and murder of that friend's new wife; and not caring how much else he had to bring down in order to do it.

Mr. Dalton, I think, is not my favorite actor to play the role, but I think that License to Kill is, in my view, one of the best—if the the best—out of all the James Bond movies.

I think that on the whole, Pierce Brosnan is my favorite of all the actors to play the role, though it seems that in his period, they were rather bereft of really good stories to put him in.

9. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,785
    Anyone who has read Read Ian Fleming's books knows that they all sucked.

Watching movies is a poor substitute for reading.

• Winner Winner x 1