Timothy Dalton was a Great James Bond

Now I know why all you RWers want to get rid of Sesame Street: it clearly failed you in teaching you to read, and this is your revenge. :lol:

sorry, synth... i have to go with sean connery... even ian fleming thought that he epitomized the character.
He didn't live long enough to see Dalton's portrayal.

I think people naturally pick Connery because:

He was excellent.

It's their introduction to the character. And he played it long enough to imprint and ingrain on everyone that he was Bond, and everyone after was someone else trying to be Bond.

Until the arrival of Craig, Dalton was my favourite Bond. Still is, in some respect. Connery's Bond was far too suave to reflect the sadistic nature of Flemming's creation. And it almost boils my blood when some halfwit claims Moore delivered the most convincing portrayal. He didn't. He was nothing more than a comedian whose eyebrows did all the work. Dalton was different, in that he actually read Flemming's work and strived to bring Flemming's violent and selfish character to life. His only fault was that his Bond didn't shed all the unnecessary glamour and gloss of his predecessors.

Craig's Bond is raw and Machiavellian. He's not child-friendly and relies almost entirely on his intuition, spycraft and guts, as opposed to all those daft gadgets. His appearance is more convincing, too. His predecessors all looked as though they'd been selected from a troupe off ballroom dancers, whereas Craig's Bond looks like he's been put through his paces - and broken - by a determined drill instructor.

Until the arrival of Craig, Dalton was my favourite Bond. Still is, in some respect. Connery's Bond was far too suave to reflect the sadistic nature of Flemming's creation. And it almost boils my blood when some halfwit claims Moore delivered the most convincing portrayal. He didn't. He was nothing more than a comedian whose eyebrows did all the work. Dalton was different, in that he actually read Flemming's work and strived to bring Flemming's violent and selfish character to life. His only fault was that his Bond didn't shed all the unnecessary glamour and gloss of his predecessors.

Craig's Bond is raw and Machiavellian. He's not child-friendly and relies almost entirely on his intuition, spycraft and guts, as opposed to all those daft gadgets. His appearance is more convincing, too. His predecessors all looked as though they'd been selected from a troupe off ballroom dancers, whereas Craig's Bond looks like he's been put through his paces - and broken - by a determined drill instructor.
Someone else who gets it, and gets Fleming's Bond.

Another thing to point out is that Dalton personally removed the wisecracks and bad puns from the scripts that had gotten ridiculous under Connery and especially Moore.

Now I know why all you RWers want to get rid of Sesame Street: it clearly failed you in teaching you to read, and this is your revenge. :lol:

sorry, synth... i have to go with sean connery... even ian fleming thought that he epitomized the character.
He didn't live long enough to see Dalton's portrayal.

I think people naturally pick Connery because:

He was excellent.

It's their introduction to the character. And he played it long enough to imprint and ingrain on everyone that he was Bond, and everyone after was someone else trying to be Bond.

yeah, but fleming modified the character so it was more like sean connery.

dalton isn't one of my favorites.

Yes, because that's MUCH easier to believe than the simple explanation that not everyone shares your opinion of Dalton as Bond.
He was the closest one to Fleming's books.

He was also the tallest, at 6'2". I believe Daniel Craig is the shortest.

Connery and Lazenby both look taller than Dalton, and Roger Moore looks shorter than Craig.

I like them all and think they all have their strengths (except maybe Lazenby). I just find no weaknesses in Dalton's version, except the script of "License To Kill".
Craig is my favorite. He brings a humanity that the others lack. He's not perfect the way the others were.

With Craig, Bond has a painful past. And it shows.
yea i iike Craig too....but i like Dalton also.....

IMO - Roger Moore will always be The Saint.

Loved those cornball openings when the halo appears over his head.

Thats why he was wrong for the Bond role.

Too closely identified with Simon Templar.

I love you to death. :eusa_angel: Someone who knows Simon Templar.

If I could I would bear your children. Shoot I'm cougar age. I'll give you money:lol:

I adore Roger Moore but he was never Fleming's Bond. It's nice to meet someone on a board who knows who Simon Templar aka the Saint is.

I loved that series.

Timothy Dalton truly understood the James Bond character, as written by Ian Fleming. And he is by far the most accomplished actor to ever play the role. His background in theater really dwarfs all the others, including Sean Connery. Most people would never guess that Dalton made his debut in the same project that Anthony Hopkins made his debut.

When I first saw Dalton, Heathcliff came alive to me. It was like he dashed out of the pages. I love to read and there are not many actors who can translate a book that I've loved into a movie.

I agree with the OP. Dalton was Fleming's Bond. You have to understand it from the writer's view point.

That's where Sync is bang on the money.

Now Connery was brilliant. Of that there is no doubt. He took the carachter sp? and not only did he run with it, he made a marathon out of it.

And you can give me Ramirez any day. :D But the OP is right on Dalton and Fleming's Bond.

Last edited:

Connery and Lazenby both look taller than Dalton, and Roger Moore looks shorter than Craig.

I like them all and think they all have their strengths (except maybe Lazenby). I just find no weaknesses in Dalton's version, except the script of "License To Kill".
Craig is my favorite. He brings a humanity that the others lack. He's not perfect the way the others were.

With Craig, Bond has a painful past. And it shows.
yea i iike Craig too....but i like Dalton also.....
I already said why I didn't like Dalton.

Yes, because that's MUCH easier to believe than the simple explanation that not everyone shares your opinion of Dalton as Bond.

Roger Moore looks shorter than Craig?

According to CelebrityHeights.com - Moore is 6 ft 1 and a half inches, Craig 5 ft 10 and a quarter inches.

Not sure if CH uses current heights - Moore is 85 years old - probably at the very least was 1 inch taller when he played Bond.

Last edited:
Connery was not "perfect" by any means.

Sort of dark and brutish-looking. Not classically handsome. Had the most "it" factor. Was an unknown back then.

Dalton and Brosman are -too generic.

Moore too closely ID to The Saint.

Craig too short.

Nuf said about Lazenby.

Last edited:
Timothy Dalton truly understood the James Bond character, as written by Ian Fleming. And he is by far the most accomplished actor to ever play the role. His background in theater really dwarfs all the others, including Sean Connery. Most people would never guess that Dalton made his debut in the same project that Anthony Hopkins made his debut.

When I first saw Dalton, Heathcliff came alive to me. It was like he dashed out of the pages. I love to read and there are not many actors who can translate a book that I've loved into a movie.

I agree with the OP. Dalton was Fleming's Bond. You have to understand it from the writer's view point.

Now Connery was brilliant. Of that there is no doubt. He took the carachter sp? and not only did he run with it, he made a marathon out of it.

And you can give me Ramirez any day. :D But the OP is right on Dalton and Fleming's Bond.

dalton was not fleming's bond... he modified the character because he thought sean connery was james bond.

dalton was not fleming's bond... he modified the character because he thought sean connery was james bond.

I disagree.

Forum List

Back