Thousand Oaks bar gunman was 'out of control' in high school, coach says

I have stated repeatedly that our society takes extraordinary measures to ensure that men are able to pursue whatever dreams they deem to pursue. Protecting convicted rapist Brock Turner's swimming career was more important than obtaining justice for the woman he violated. For numerous police officers, including a police chief whom were known to be domestic violence abusers, their careers were determined to be more important than the lives and safety of their victims because if they were treated in accordance with our laws, then they would have to be legally disarmed. Since you can not be a police officer if you can't carry a weapon they were allowed to keep their weapons and their jobs while some of their victims lost their lives.

Now we have Ian David Long, the mass shooter who killed 12 individuals including a police officer in Thousand Oaks California and he too apparently was coddled and measures were taken in order to not damage his ability to pursue his dream of becoming a U.S. Marine even though he assaulted one of his high school coaches and is alleged to have claimed that the reason he wanted to become a marine is so that he can kill people on behalf of the United States.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not attempting to paint entire groups or professions with the same broad brush of the worse of them, but in most if not all of these cases, the symptoms were there, but apparently no was willing to do what was needed because it would have harmed their future prospectives in their chosen endeavors.

If the powers that be are unable or unwilling to act when there are these blatent, blinding, flashing neon red flags, they have no business trying to regulate the lives of the rest of us, in my opinion.

MONTCLAIR, Calif. (AP) — A second high school coach of the gunman who killed 12 people at a Southern California bar recalled him on Sunday as volatile and intimidating, and said that repeated complaints to school administrators about his behavior failed to prompt any discipline.

Evie Cluke coached Ian David Long on Newbury Park High School's track team in 2007 and 2008. In an interview with The Associated Press, she said Long was a "ticking time bomb" who constantly lost his temper, threw tantrums and would scream at coaches when he didn't like their decisions. She said she once witnessed him assault a fellow coach.

That coach, Dominique Colell, said Long grabbed her rear and midsection after she refused to return a cellphone. Another time, he used his hand to mimic shooting her, Colell said, adding that she feared for herself whenever she was around him.​

Partly I blame my own profession, the teaching profession. I mean look: it's all right there. Generally, despite what people on this board say, we really want the best for all children/students. We would look at a kid like this and, if he has a dream of going into the US military, we would tend to think, "Well let's help him achieve his goal". But right now it's blinding us to all kinds of problems. That caring and compassion that we have is a double-edged sword.

Partly I blame the culture. Parents are just not tough enough these days. It's never MY kid. It's always someone else's fault. You have to do something to fix my kid, or someone is out to get my kid, or there must be some kind of label you can put on my kid so he's a victim and not a perpetrator. As a culture, this begins very, very young in small ways and spirals up in bigger ways.

In short, it's a hot mess top to bottom. Sorry to be a downer, but there it is. As I have said before in so many ways, one fix for this would be an absolute zero-tolerance policy for violence in schools. But the culture doesn't have the stomach for it. The parents don't have the stomach for it.

So we will continue spewing out kids for whom their former teachers will say, "I knew this was coming."
Our local high schools do have a zero tolerance policy. Well, three strikes you're out. Forever. If Long had done to our coach what he did to that coach at his school, he would have been automatically out and also arrested. That, too, can be difficult, since a coworker's autistic teenager is one more shove/slap incident away from never seeing the inside of a school again.

Okay. What is "shove/slap" though? Do you know how strong some of these special needs kids can be?

How would you feel if you had a gen ed kid who was SLAPPED by an autistic child?

Can anyone tell me when it became acceptable to be slapped by someone because they are disabled? I would like everyone to reflect on that, please. Realize that I have been hit, shoved, bitten, had things thrown at me--and I am not a special ed teacher. This is supposed to be "part of the job".

Can anyone name for me ANY OTHER JOB where you are shoved, bitten, and had things thrown at you and you are expected to say, hey, that's just part of my job? And you must love and accept and encourage and cheer on the person who hit/bit/threw things at you?

1. Violence is not acceptable.

2. We do no favors to the perpetrator of violence when we just ACCEPT violence as an offshoot of his/her condition.

I have stated repeatedly that our society takes extraordinary measures to ensure that men are able to pursue whatever dreams they deem to pursue. Protecting convicted rapist Brock Turner's swimming career was more important than obtaining justice for the woman he violated. For numerous police officers, including a police chief whom were known to be domestic violence abusers, their careers were determined to be more important than the lives and safety of their victims because if they were treated in accordance with our laws, then they would have to be legally disarmed. Since you can not be a police officer if you can't carry a weapon they were allowed to keep their weapons and their jobs while some of their victims lost their lives.

Now we have Ian David Long, the mass shooter who killed 12 individuals including a police officer in Thousand Oaks California and he too apparently was coddled and measures were taken in order to not damage his ability to pursue his dream of becoming a U.S. Marine even though he assaulted one of his high school coaches and is alleged to have claimed that the reason he wanted to become a marine is so that he can kill people on behalf of the United States.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not attempting to paint entire groups or professions with the same broad brush of the worse of them, but in most if not all of these cases, the symptoms were there, but apparently no was willing to do what was needed because it would have harmed their future prospectives in their chosen endeavors.

If the powers that be are unable or unwilling to act when there are these blatent, blinding, flashing neon red flags, they have no business trying to regulate the lives of the rest of us, in my opinion.

MONTCLAIR, Calif. (AP) — A second high school coach of the gunman who killed 12 people at a Southern California bar recalled him on Sunday as volatile and intimidating, and said that repeated complaints to school administrators about his behavior failed to prompt any discipline.

Evie Cluke coached Ian David Long on Newbury Park High School's track team in 2007 and 2008. In an interview with The Associated Press, she said Long was a "ticking time bomb" who constantly lost his temper, threw tantrums and would scream at coaches when he didn't like their decisions. She said she once witnessed him assault a fellow coach.

That coach, Dominique Colell, said Long grabbed her rear and midsection after she refused to return a cellphone. Another time, he used his hand to mimic shooting her, Colell said, adding that she feared for herself whenever she was around him.​

Partly I blame my own profession, the teaching profession. I mean look: it's all right there. Generally, despite what people on this board say, we really want the best for all children/students. We would look at a kid like this and, if he has a dream of going into the US military, we would tend to think, "Well let's help him achieve his goal". But right now it's blinding us to all kinds of problems. That caring and compassion that we have is a double-edged sword.

Partly I blame the culture. Parents are just not tough enough these days. It's never MY kid. It's always someone else's fault. You have to do something to fix my kid, or someone is out to get my kid, or there must be some kind of label you can put on my kid so he's a victim and not a perpetrator. As a culture, this begins very, very young in small ways and spirals up in bigger ways.

In short, it's a hot mess top to bottom. Sorry to be a downer, but there it is. As I have said before in so many ways, one fix for this would be an absolute zero-tolerance policy for violence in schools. But the culture doesn't have the stomach for it. The parents don't have the stomach for it.

So we will continue spewing out kids for whom their former teachers will say, "I knew this was coming."
Could it be that the Marxists in this country are intentionally instilling violence in our kids?

Could it be that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground? 40 years of right wing law and order policies have turned the United States into a haven for terrorists, racists, and right wing violence. Trump promised law and order, and instread you have the highest rate of mass shootings in US history. Unprecedented levels of hate crime and attacks on minorities. And the President is blaming the press and Democrats.

Whatever happened to "The buck stops here"? In the Trump Administration the motto is "It's always someone else's fault".

Yep....90% of murderers have long histories of crime and violence before they commit murder.....they are not "normal" in any way.

Our local high schools do have a zero tolerance policy. Well, three strikes you're out. Forever. If Long had done to our coach what he did to that coach at his school, he would have been automatically out and also arrested. That, too, can be difficult, since a coworker's autistic teenager is one more shove/slap incident away from never seeing the inside of a school again.

Okay. What is "shove/slap" though? Do you know how strong some of these special needs kids can be?

How would you feel if you had a gen ed kid who was SLAPPED by an autistic child?

Can anyone tell me when it became acceptable to be slapped by someone because they are disabled? I would like everyone to reflect on that, please. Realize that I have been hit, shoved, bitten, had things thrown at me--and I am not a special ed teacher. This is supposed to be "part of the job".

Can anyone name for me ANY OTHER JOB where you are shoved, bitten, and had things thrown at you and you are expected to say, hey, that's just part of my job? And you must love and accept and encourage and cheer on the person who hit/bit/threw things at you?

2. We do no favors to the perpetrator of violence when we just ACCEPT violence as an offshoot of his/her condition.

Nurses, home care workers, early childhood education workers. All sorts of workers have to accept injury and violence as part of the job. My neighbour has little feeling left in his hands because of damage from the chains while working in a slaughterhouse. Coal miners accepted dying from black lung.

There is also a vast difference between an who pathologically aggressive and acting out, and a low functioning autistic child who is unaware that they're harming others.

Now in the old days we had NUNS as teachers and i think they were fine though i never had a NUN as a teacher but i hear that they were good diciplinarians that could and would kick Boys and Girls azzes . That being said , many hip hopping young female public school teachers are only interested in getting into the pants and panties of their public school students Bode . [also interested in getting their paycheck Bode]
we had nuns kick as$$...I got SPANKED with a wooden paddle
our pastor principle would grab you if you hit a girl/etc
....my co-worker hated the nuns at his school..he said they would use a ruler for discipline
I saw the picture of the nun he was talking about--!!! classic!! looked like a man/ugly/etc

humans have been murdering since they became human
humans have been angry/assaulted/etc since they became human
==it's not a mental illness issue

....per what Toronado says, not only will there be thousands and thousands that not only will not commit murder [ which you already have ] you also will also have many false accusations against innocent people
..this is a slippery slope/very complicated
..hundreds of thousands of neighbors get into disputes
...how many high school/college kids get into fights/etc?
Mental illness has been around as long as humans have.
exactly--that's why it can't be stopped/fixed/etc
you can't make humans '''inhuman'''/not human

Nurses, home care workers, early childhood education workers. All sorts of workers have to accept injury and violence as part of the job. My neighbour has little feeling left in his hands because of damage from the chains while working in a slaughterhouse. Coal miners accepted dying from black lung.

There is also a vast difference between an who pathologically aggressive and acting out, and a low functioning autistic child who is unaware that they're harming others.
All sorts of workers have to accept injury and violence as part of the job.
50 years ago, the only violence in school was the kid with glasses getting hit by a paper wad...I know that was me...Seems that when Jimmy Carter enacted the law that prevented mentally sick people from having to go to the hospital( because of liberal compassion) Ronald Reagan shut many down because they weren't being used. I know that also, because in Washington DC, the St Elizabeth Mental Hospital was vacant for many years, until...….wait for it...….George Bush's(establishment liberal republican) created the Department of Homeland unSecurity, which now is their place of insane residence....Just cant make this shit up....

Auditors Bash Homeland Security For New Headquarters At Former Insane Asylum - Freedom Outpost
The Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) attempt to construct a new headquarters at St. Elizabeths, the home of a former insane asylum, is now 11 years behind schedule and over $1.5 billion dollars over budget, a number that is expected to grow if the DHS clings to its plans. But more delays are expected, and so is an exploding budget.
Over budget and behind in schedule, typical government waste....

50 years ago, the only violence in school was the kid with glasses getting hit by a paper wad...I know that was me...Seems that when Jimmy Carter enacted the law that prevented mentally sick people from having to go to the hospital( because of liberal compassion) Ronald Reagan shut many down because they weren't being used. I know that also, because in Washington DC, the St Elizabeth Mental Hospital was vacant for many years, until...….wait for it...….George Bush's(establishment liberal republican) created the Department of Homeland unSecurity, which now is their place of insane residence....Just cant make this shit up....

Auditors Bash Homeland Security For New Headquarters At Former Insane Asylum - Freedom Outpost
The Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) attempt to construct a new headquarters at St. Elizabeths, the home of a former insane asylum, is now 11 years behind schedule and over $1.5 billion dollars over budget, a number that is expected to grow if the DHS clings to its plans. But more delays are expected, and so is an exploding budget.

50 years ago, autism was unheard of, ADHD was rare and children with disabilities which made them "low functioning" were living in group homes. They weren't in public school classrooms. But hey, let's not worry about what's going into the food and water. It's just bad parenting, right? Special education schools were discontinued and Special Ed kids were integrated into regular classrooms.

Stop blaming teachers for the problems of violence in your schools. Other countries don't have school shootings, and rampant public massacres. The USA is a violent society. It has been since the days of the Wild West. Your children are being shot and killed in numbers unheard of in the rest of the first world, and still you choose to do nothing.

The highest incarcertaion rates in the world. The highest murder rate in the first world. The highest rate of gun suicide in the first world. The highest rate of gun crime in the first world. The highest rate of accidental shootings in the first world.

50 years ago, autism was unheard of, ADHD was rare and children with disabilities which made them "low functioning" were living in group homes. They weren't in public school classrooms. But hey, let's not worry about what's going into the food and water. It's just bad parenting, right? Special education schools were discontinued and Special Ed kids were integrated into regular classrooms.

Stop blaming teachers for the problems of violence in your schools. Other countries don't have school shootings, and rampant public massacres. The USA is a violent society. It has been since the days of the Wild West. Your children are being shot and killed in numbers unheard of in the rest of the first world, and still you choose to do nothing.

The highest incarcertaion rates in the world. The highest murder rate in the first world. The highest rate of gun suicide in the first world. The highest rate of gun crime in the first world. The highest rate of accidental shootings in the first world.
Bitch , I was diagnosed with ADHD, I took Ritalin to burn me out, I had so much energy in school, I frequently visited the principles office for my weekly beating with the whistler. I also played war with my friends because back then only 13 years after WWII, where the US defeated the Socialists of Germany, we always pretended to kill as many socialist as we could to save our country. What you liberal bitches of today have done is so confused boys that they have no IDENTIY in the world, and in frustration they take it out on those that caused them their distress...

A man who came home from the war, went to his wife and cherished and protected her till death do they part, today the pajama boy couldn't give a shit if a girl getting gunned down, he would be out their with his cell phone videoing it so he can put it up on YouTube, because it is all about him, no one else. You can slap yourselves on the back liberals for the making of the pajama boy.....

american-manhood.jpg

Wrong, other countries don't have people who feel the need to do it...although Britain almost had 3 in the last couple of years..in a country that banned guns, and they were only stopped because of dumb luck.

Suicide doesn't count, since guns aren't the issue in suicide.

Our gun crime rate is going down as more Americans own and carry guns, Britain banned and confiscated guns and their gun crime rate it going up....and getting worse....

Our gun accidental death rate...with 600 million guns in private hands.....that's right600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense?

495 people in 2016.

Accidental car deaths...38,748

So, before you complain about accidental gun deaths, you really need to bitch about accidental car deaths.....

Fatal Injury Data | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC

Gun.....495

Car.......38,748

poisoning......58,335

falling.......34,673

suffocation...6,610

drowning......3,786

( Ladder falling deaths....300, not specified by year
Ladder Safety - Int'l Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)

and 300 deaths in the U.S. that are caused by falls from ladders.)

The USA is a violent society

and there are plenty of more.. Freedom of speech or teaching violence is okay?

It isnt US conservatives creating violent propaganda so unattended children can watch this stuff. But typical of liberals, they NEVER take the blame for the shit they cause...Just Deny, deny, deny, and blame someone else.

---------------------------------- whats the numbers of school kids shot dead DLady. ----------------- As far as suicide i hear that Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world and they have no guns . Accidental and suicide rates don't matter because in the one case people survive accidents and suiciders CHOOSE to kill themselve , Yeah , the other day my Grandkids and the vast majority of other school kids went to bed after supper , woke up in the morning and went to school DragonLady . ------------------ but whats the number of school kids that were shot dead in any time frame that you choose DLady ??

Bitch , I was diagnosed with ADHD, I took Ritalin to burn me out, I had so much energy in school, I frequently visited the principles office for my weekly beating with the whistler. I also played war with my friends because back then only 13 years after WWII, where the US defeated the Socialists of Germany, we always pretended to kill as many socialist as we could to save our country. What you liberal bitches of today have done is so confused boys that they have no IDENTIY in the world, and in frustration they take it out on those that caused them their distress...

A man who came home from the war, went to his wife and cherished and protected her till death do they part, today the pajama boy couldn't give a shit if a girl getting gunned down, he would be out their with his cell phone videoing it so he can put it up on YouTube, because it is all about him, no one else. You can slap yourselves on the back liberals for the making of the pajama boy.....

american-manhood.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- GOOD post , think Andoronjim posted it , thanks !!

Could it be that the Marxists in this country are intentionally instilling violence in our kids?

Could it be that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground? 40 years of right wing law and order policies have turned the United States into a haven for terrorists, racists, and right wing violence. Trump promised law and order, and instread you have the highest rate of mass shootings in US history. Unprecedented levels of hate crime and attacks on minorities. And the President is blaming the press and Democrats.

Whatever happened to "The buck stops here"? In the Trump Administration the motto is "It's always someone else's fault".

------------------------------------------------- USA is a fine place and as a 70 year old in an area full of GUNS all my life the only violence i see is in big cities full of imported people and people that are subsets of civilized American society . And we Americans have more Freedom than you 'canooks' . See how you tried to hang Mark Stein for writing a book DLady .

Last edited:
#TheLargerIssue #Fatherlessness #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #Solutions

If I said that yes, many cases of violence from our children was due to neglectful and even horrid parenting, what would be your solution? I think we are on the same page here, but I'm not sure what we can do about it through the schools.

Hello, Sue. In your school district do teachers have a legal obligation to Report Suspected Cases of Child Abuse?

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/manda.pdf#page=2&view=Professionals required to report

In your school district are teachers and administrators ENCOURAGED or DISCOURAGED from reporting Suspected Cases Of Child Abuse?

In your experience, how often have your colleagues filed a Report of Suspected Child Abuse?

Peace.

There is not a difference if you're the one with the concussions, the broken bones, the human scratches, the human bite marks. All things that happen in schools. On a DAILY BASIS.

Nurses don't accept violence as part of the job. Neither do home care workers. In either case violent patients are drugged or restrained. At the very least they don't go back to situations routinely where they are hit, bitten, kicked, have things thrown at them and have their hair pulled. No they do not.

It is okay when they do this toward educators, and it is okay when they do this in the presence of any and all other children. Now, it has spread even to other diagnoses that are much, much more nebulous than autism. Simply slap a label on any child and if he commits violence, well, he can't help it. He's a "victim".

This is your culture, sweetie. The guns are just the tools.

PS I am not saying we need to discipline children who can't help being violent, or even accept that they CAN help it. I understand all of this. But I still think a zero-tolerance stance toward violence is zero tolerance. If they cannot help but be violent toward those around them, then obviously the public schools is NOT the "least restrictive environment". And I predict that within 10-15 years the culture will agree with me on this--things will have gotten so bad. And parents of other children are noticing.

#TheLargerIssue #Fatherlessness #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #Solutions

If I said that yes, many cases of violence from our children was due to neglectful and even horrid parenting, what would be your solution? I think we are on the same page here, but I'm not sure what we can do about it through the schools.

Hello, Sue. In your school district do teachers have a legal obligation to Report Suspected Cases of Child Abuse?

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/manda.pdf#page=2&view=Professionals required to report

In your school district are teachers and administrators ENCOURAGED or DISCOURAGED from reporting Suspected Cases Of Child Abuse?

In your experience, how often have your colleagues filed a Report of Suspected Child Abuse?

Peace.

We are mandated reporters. We are mandated by law to report suspected or known cases of child abuse. I don't know a state where this is not the case anymore.

You understand I cannot tell you, even anonymously, how many times I or colleagues have reported cases of child abuse. It's very highly confidential.

SweetSue92 replied to Avery, "We are mandated reporters. We are mandated by law to report suspected or known cases of child abuse. I don't know a state where this is not the case anymore."

"You understand I cannot tell you, even anonymously, how many times I or colleagues have reported cases of child abuse. It's very highly confidential."

Hello, SweetSue. Please educate me by sharing a statute of law specifically forbidding an anonymous person from anonymously discussing in public a school district's policy regarding how the district handles cases of Suspected Child Abuse.

Peace.

teachers reporting child abuse.png

SweetSue92 replied to Avery, "We are mandated reporters. We are mandated by law to report suspected or known cases of child abuse. I don't know a state where this is not the case anymore."

"You understand I cannot tell you, even anonymously, how many times I or colleagues have reported cases of child abuse. It's very highly confidential."

Hello, SweetSue. Please educate me by sharing a statute of law specifically forbidding an anonymous person from anonymously discussing in public a school district's policy regarding how the district handles cases of Suspected Child Abuse.

Peace.

You didn't ask me to discuss policy. You asked me to tell you how many times I or colleagues have reported child abuse. I'm never, ever going to tell you that.

Judging from the current behavior of our adults, aged 30 to 70s, we have had child-rearing problems for many decades. Swearing all over the place, calling people names, refusing to interact with society, thinking that they can go around touching other people sexually with impunity, and then protecting this sexual misconduct, etc. Now we have a 72-year-old child in the Oval Office who thinks that he is entitled to get away with anything and everything. His parents should have taken him out to the woodshed 60 years ago. His father should have had the common decency to clip his ears back, but failed.

What we need is a set of standard societal norms for behavior and uphold them strictly. Ian David Long should have been expelled and arrested. Brock turner should not have been treated with leniency. This dereliction of duty by the powers that be goes on and on.

Whoa..."swearing all over the place"? "Calling people names"? Isn't that about 90% of what you do here on US message boards? Do you need examples? Just a quick walk through you post history should do it....

I mean wow
Since when have I done this to anyone on USMB or elsewhere? How many times have I been called things like "fucking bitch" on USMB? I don't go out in society swearing and mistreating others. I don't touch people, much less brag about it. I don't go about chanting "lock her up" or reminding people that I own guns. I wait my turn in lines with my mouth shut. I follow the rules and established protocols.

People who are, chronologically, adults should behave like adults. The trumps did not discipline and teach their son, much less instill in him a baseline of morals and ethics. Their failings are clear to the nation now.

Forum List

Back