This Must Be Significant in Some Way

Discussion in 'Education' started by Unkotare, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983
    Had an interesting moment of contrast and social/economic/educational coincidence today.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Pete7469

Pete7469 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,818
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,680
    One can only note these things in August-October.

By May or June, teachers can only say, "I had an interesting moment....." at the end of the day before falling asleep, tearing their hair out, crying, pouring a glass on wine....or perhaps all of the above in stages. :777:

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983
    So, during the school year I work at a very urban inner-city high school in a program specifically for a very challenging at risk population of students. It is a great challenge, and I enjoy working with the kids a lot no matter how trying it can sometimes be. I have come to respect the challenges they face and how hard they work to overcome them. During the summer, in addition to private tutoring and freelance writing assignments, I work at a test prep institute in a very wealthy community for a very wealthy students. The students pay top dollar for very intensive summer programs preparing them for various standardized tests and entrance exams. Well, the other day I was teaching a class of kids from very wealthy families, good kids, very hard-working, very respectful, but not struggling in the way that my other students do. It just so happens that as I looked out the window of this very large opulent institution I saw some grounds keepers trimming back hedges and cutting grass and what not and sure enough they were Former student of mine from the urban school district where I work during the school year. Here I was in air-conditioned comfort teaching a very small class very rich kids, good kids mind you, and outside the window where the other kids from the other side of reality. It made me pause and think.

5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983
    After class I popped outside and we had a good chat. I had a few bottles of cold water in the car that they welcomed in the heat.

On any given day I usually move through both sides of such things, but it was sort of disorienting seeing them both in the same time and place.

6. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,702

So, how were they doing? Landscaping can have a lot of upward mobility, oddly enough.

Or it used to, at least.

7. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983

Just working for some $$$. They have no illusions about planting flowers around the school grounds as a career step.

8. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,680
    Make no mistake about this. Those wealthy kids might be better off with a job in the long run, a place where Mommy and Daddy cannot control the work that is done, cannot rewrite their college entrance exam, and cannot control the schedule. Everything in these wealthy kids' lives may look put together on the outside but you'd be surprised. Anxiety and depression is rampant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983

???

Why would I be surprised?

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,983

It is presumptuous to assume "mommy and daddy...control" everything just because a family is wealthy, and it is delusional to think it would be a better deal for them to trade places with the kids I work with during the day in the city. The kids from the city would never say something so foolish.