This is what's wrong with our society

Just thought I'd post another article about this in which the information is a bit different :

Tex. teen mistakenly deported to Colombia assumed false identity - BlogPost - The Washington Post

According to this the girl maintained her false identity throughout trial and deportation proceedings, and even on social media pages after ending up in Columbia. It also says that ICE supposedly checked her prints and came up with nothing to say she was not who she claimed (I can only assume this would mean her prints were no where in the system).

As with so many stories, this seems like one that will require time and more details to emerge before any kind of reasonable, rational opinion on where blame should lie can be made. Perhaps ICE didn't properly do their jobs, perhaps the girl is at fault for maintaining the false identity, I just don't know. All the self-righteous arguments here based on very scanty information seem pretty premature.

In what world is the girl not at fault for maintaing the false identity throughout the entire proceedings? Did someone force her to maintain that identity? Please, provide a single scenario where she isn't responsible for what happened to her.

Assuming she did that, she has responsibility for what happened. However, if ICE did not actually run her prints (as I believe one of the links suggested) or in some other way were not as diligent as they should have been, they also may share some responsibility.

My point is that the facts of the situation are not entirely clear at this point; until they are, reserving judgment seems the reasonable course.

You'll all be happy to know that Columbia has been able to do what the US could not and they're sending the girl home.

Colombia handing over Dallas runaway on Friday | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

... Then - without a thorough check - the U.S. deported the teenage runaway in April 2011. Her determined grandmother, using Facebook, found her in South America and alerted police. ... Thursday night, Colombia issued its own statement saying: "She told the U.S. Magistrate she was a Colombian citizen of age. The Colombian consulate in Houston expedited a temporary passport to her. Once she arrived we initiated a search for her family. In the meantime, we did a psychological evaluation, then put her to work in a call center."...Still, in this decade after 9/11, why U.S. authorities could not identify a 15-year-old girl is a question troubling many lawmakers.

Dallas teen missing since 2010 was mistakenly deported | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

News 8 has learned ICE took the girl's fingerprints, but somehow didn't confirm her identity and deported her to Colombia, where the Colombian government gave her a work card and released her... There are still many unanswered questions about how an African-American girl who speaks no Spanish is mistaken for a foreign national.

No. What is wrong with you? You expect the adults to somehow magically know a girl is lying?

The only people responsible for that girl being deported is that little girl and the screwed up family that taught her to be so damn irresponsible.

yes a 14 year old girl is not an adult and you shouldn't assume she's telling the truth that's retarded, that's why we have LEGAL guardians. THEY speak to authorities for the MINORS.

What a moronic move by immigration. wow
Don't you think she would have said something between the time of her arrest and giving a false name until the time she was put on the plane?

Clearly, this girl was way fucked up to continue the charade until she was deported.

I am thinking she may be a little retarded or borderline intellectual functioning.

Forum List

Back