The view from LONDON...democracy doesnt work in the US.

MichaelCollins

US last in Foreign aid
Sep 6, 2008
London
The view from London and perhaps most of Europe is that the US is split right down the middle.

The US is a dichotomy in many areas... most notably... it has an educated minority and a vast swathe of uneducated masses in the midwest and south.

Generally speaking, am i correct in assuming that the Democrat voters tend to be educated and reasonable and the Republican voters tend to be brainwashed religious nuts who are very easily manipulated..by such inventions as the "war on terror" (only believed in the US)....ohhhh be very afraid of the big bad terrorist..only a backward simpleton like GW can protect you!

Has it not come to a stage now ...where in a country that a substantial number of people believe in creationism...adam and steve etc and the world is 6000 years old.. that selective democracy should be enforced?

ie.. thick americans should not be allowed to vote. It was this way years ago and also in third world countries...and surely any country that has religion is third world? especially this evangelical stone age nonsense. Thick americans must be denied the vote.

After all this thick mass of religious nuts was created so that the repulicans could get into power....create fear ... and justify a huge industrial war machine from which they could personally become billionaires.

The view from London and perhaps most of Europe is that the US is split right down the middle.

The US is a dichotomy in many areas... most notably... it has an educated minority and a vast swathe of uneducated masses in the midwest and south.

Generally speaking, am i correct in assuming that the Democrat voters tend to be educated and reasonable and the Republican voters tend to be brainwashed religious nuts who are very easily manipulated..by such inventions as the "war on terror" (only believed in the US)....ohhhh be very afraid of the big bad terrorist..only a backward simpleton like GW can protect you!

Has it not come to a stage now ...where in a country that a substantial number of people believe in creationism...adam and steve etc and the world is 6000 years old.. that selective democracy should be enforced?

ie.. thick americans should not be allowed to vote. It was this way years ago and also in third world countries...and surely any country that has religion is third world? especially this evangelical stone age nonsense. Thick americans must be denied the vote.

After all this thick mass of religious nuts was created so that the repulicans could get into power....create fear ... and justify a huge industrial war machine from which they could personally become billionaires.

Not Helpful.

Not Helpful.

Perhaps, but it is all true.

If the US wants to be taken seriously... it has to do something about those third world stone age evangelical nutters.

Perhaps it needs to divide? The stone age part can become the third world wasteland that it is...and the rest of the US can join the modern world?

Last edited:
Actually, it isn't. I wager you've never spent any time whatsoever in the south.

Generally speaking, am i correct in assuming that the Democrat voters tend to be educated and reasonable and the Republican voters tend to be brainwashed religious nuts who are very easily manipulated...

No. You are not correct. Aside from your entirely inflammatory description of hard working, thinking, feeling human beings across the political spectrum, the republican party is comprised of three main groups.

1. Fiscal conservatives. These are intelligent people who believe in low taxes and low spending. Nothing nutty there.
2. Libertarians. Also very bright, who believe that government should not regulate much of anything. Also low taxes.
3. Religious conservatives. These people may fall into the republican party by default, I am not certain, to oppose liberalism. But they do believe the government should uphold the constitution as they feel it is intended, such as protecting religion (in their view, and they make a case for this) and marriage and the unborn. A very passionate group that is about 30% or so of the party.

Among the democratic party.
1. Liberals - These are not necessarily well educated, although they can be.
2. Minorities - certainly not necessarily benefitting from the educational system, consider the large turnout for Obama among African Americans in poor areas.
3. The democratic party is usually considered to be more broad and less well defined (a big umbrella) and so I am having difficulty coming up with a parallel set of groups for the democrats.

Aside from the two parties, roughly 25% (or so) of the country is not affiliated with either major party. These people register independent, green, libertarian, etc etc.

So no, despite the media spin in the United Kingdom, it is not all about the religious right running the US, and a small elite educated democratic party, but I would bet those sorts of news articles sells papers.

Last edited:
Its not much of a democracy anyway...but i believe that the US needs a much more totalitarian system until there is a concerted program of education for the thickoes of the south and midwest.

Until the fundamental nutters are debrainwashed... the US cannot exist as a democracy.

How can you give votes to people who believe in adam and eve? I mean really! We didnt give the uneducated people the vote in the UK hundreds of years ago...but once education was offered to all..eventually we allowed them to vote.

When the US has similarly developed like the rest of the world.. they should then allow one man, one vote.

Why should you worry if the US loses? Surely Europe gains in that case.

I dont actually like seeing 100,000s of innocent people cowardly massacred by US bombers.

Iraq under the last administration... it WILL be Iran under Pentagon McCain.

As I cannot and will not attempt to change your European view of the United States. The only thing I can add here is that , if most europeans took the time to examine our culture rather than making assumptions about it, then you might find that extreme views are not , especially in this country the sole property of republicans or democrats, nor are they held only by people who live in the south or midwest. You also might discover that the United States is a Representative republic not a pure democracy " You have a republic if you can keep it" Franklin. As for your views on the justification for the Iraq war, well I suppose living in london , where everyone is so much better off that we are, that it gives you the right to pass judgement upon people in a country in which you have no clue about. I suggest you do a few things if you really want to know about this country, first take a ride to the Cambridge American cemetary and take a look at the over 5100 Americans some of those so-called dumb people from the south and mid west who took the time to come to your country and never leave. second, take a history book and read about the history of this country, and third, make a difference in your own country, because last I checked Great Britian would be the same country that commited to Iraq with the United States.

Why do you suppose Bush didn't go to Iran, Hmmm?

Do you really need me to educate you cali?

Let me explain how US foreign policy works. The US is a backward nation that still pines for the days of the cold war... a time when they had this ready made "big bad enemy" to justify the HUGE US military spending industry complex. This is a massive vested interest group and they dominate large areas of US politics.

Once the cold war threat ended (did it ever really exist?)...they needed a new big bad enemy to justify to the rather gullible US public that spending hilarious amounts of their money on a war machine (totally redundant..as military power can do f all these days)...was a necessity.

Now 911... conspiracy or not... it does seem an amazing god send to the BUSHTEAM ..dont you think? This ready made big bad enemy of islamic fundamentalism crashes at their doorstep just as they walk into office?

Well yippeeee... BUSHTEAM have a new justification for hilarious military spending...and even WAR... beautiful.

Of course military no matter how powerful cannot occupy a serious sized nation and win.... even vietnam proved that.... also the US cant accept military casualties...so their military power ..unless wiping out a nation is utterly useless.

Iran is a tricky one... the whole world is laughing at the US now over Iraq...and not one country would support another US fiasco...

However once the iraq and afghan demands have died down...Iran will turn up as the next target... it is essential to have an enemy to justify to the untravelled, uneducated US public..that the world is a dangerous place and we need to spend big.

Well, it's good that you have it all figured out. Musta been hard, not actually living here and knowing the people like Americans do, to have it figured out better than we do. ;)

Anyway, your primary assumptions about Americans are wrong. I suggest you read around a bit. Unless you aren't really interested in finding out if there's anything you might be missing.

Enjoy your stay.

Well, it's good that you have it all figured out. Musta been hard, not actually living here and knowing the people like Americans do, to have it figured out better than we do. ;)

Anyway, your primary assumptions about Americans are wrong. I suggest you read around a bit. Unless you aren't really interested in finding out if there's anything you might be missing.

Enjoy your stay.

and how exactly do you know where i have been living?

There are a lot here who would disagree with your assumption. They claim that it is a representative republic. I clam it is a democracy. Oh an another thing...Winston Churchill can kiss my ass!!!!:eusa_whistle:

There are a lot here who would disagree with your assumption. They claim that it is a representative republic. I clam it is a democracy. Oh an another thing...Winston Churchill can kiss my ass!!!!:eusa_whistle:

Im afraid he died many years ago.

However the British people will always be grateful to Russia for beating the Nazi scourge ..ALMOST singlehandedly.

Last edited:

More like in thirds...1/3 dems, 1/3 Reps, 1/3 unaffiliated voters

That's just plain old wrong. If there is a divide in education, it's more about rural V urban, but even that would be very misleading.

I don't think that's true, either. Although judging from the quality of debates on this board, I can see how one might think it true.

We don't live in a democracy. Never have. Neither do you. Neither does anyone in the world except maybe Somalian pirates or somebody like that.

I've long been a advocate of a basic reading and general test of knowledge test for voters, but I am in a serious minority on that issue.

You forget that the Republicans also have guns rightists, anti-abortion types, anti-gays types, people worried about racial issues, and also they tend to win most libertarians, too...although for the life of me I can't understand why libertarians think the Rs are peferable to the Ds.

The libertarians probably have the highest level of education of the above, likely much higher on average than the average American voter or English voters, either.

Despite that, they're still not educated enough to understand social science in most cases, but theirs is generally a willful ignorance in that regard. If you reallu understand social sciences you'll realize that libertarianism and communism are both philosophies that cannot work.

Last edited:

I was interested until you to this part. Then i realized that you are simply an anti american :ahole-1:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back