The view from LONDON...democracy doesnt work in the US.

Im afraid he died many years ago.

However the British people will always be grateful to Russia for beating the Nazi scourge ..ALMOST singlehandedly.

You mean the British that wanted to hang Russia out to dry during WW2. Had Stalin been able to go to Casablanca, then the US would probably have invaded thourg Poland rather than North Africa.

The only bit I agree with Mick, is that the US political system is fucked. Outsida that, you're off base in so many ways, it'd take a month of Sundays to list them..

MC, you can't pigeonhole the US, it's too complex and varied to do that. It hasn't got one culture, it's got hundreds and those cultures aren't necessarily described in regions. What those of us outside the US think of "popular US culture" is really a media fabrication, very much a stereotype. It deserves a much more sharper and complex analysis than the broad brushstrokes you've used.

MC, you can't pigeonhole the US, it's too complex and varied to do that. It hasn't got one culture, it's got hundreds and those cultures aren't necessarily described in regions. What those of us outside the US think of "popular US culture" is really a media fabrication, very much a stereotype. It deserves a much more sharper and complex analysis than the broad brushstrokes you've used.

Any country that gave the world Edison, Lincoln, rock n' roll, Star Wars, corvettes, Mohammed Ali, Mt Rushmore, The Simpsons, peanut butter, apple pie, Bruce Springsteen, Harley Davidson, Robin Williams, moon landings, twink and Dr Pepper can't be all that bad!

As I cannot and will not attempt to change your European view of the United States. The only thing I can add here is that , if most europeans took the time to examine our culture rather than making assumptions about it, then you might find that extreme views are not , especially in this country the sole property of republicans or democrats, nor are they held only by people who live in the south or midwest. You also might discover that the United States is a Representative republic not a pure democracy " You have a republic if you can keep it" Franklin. As for your views on the justification for the Iraq war, well I suppose living in london , where everyone is so much better off that we are, that it gives you the right to pass judgement upon people in a country in which you have no clue about. I suggest you do a few things if you really want to know about this country, first take a ride to the Cambridge American cemetary and take a look at the over 5100 Americans some of those so-called dumb people from the south and mid west who took the time to come to your country and never leave. second, take a history book and read about the history of this country, and third, make a difference in your own country, because last I checked Great Britian would be the same country that commited to Iraq with the United States.

Don't worry about this dickhead, Navy. There are a few like him in my country but they are easily recognised by their oversized mouths, the knuckles that drag the ground and the yellow stripe that runs down their back.

As you can tell from his post, we have our share of dumb people. They're the ones whose mouths start up before the brain (what little there is), is engaged. They also have a rather unique birth defect. They defecate through their mouth and speak through their arse.

Any country that gave the world Edison, Lincoln, rock n' roll, Star Wars, corvettes, Mohammed Ali, Mt Rushmore, The Simpsons, peanut butter, apple pie, Bruce Springsteen, Harley Davidson, Robin Williams, moon landings, twink and Dr Pepper can't be all that bad!

Yep... but they'll still call you anti-American the second you criticize right wing policies :eusa_angel:

You are just a typical European a$$ hole. Please don't visit America. We don't want Euro trash in our country!! :eusa_hand:

And you're as bad as he is!

In a previous thread this morning, you accused me of tarnishing the majority for the actions of the few (even though I wasn't) and here's you doing precisely that.

You fucking arrogant hypocrite!!!

Its not much of a democracy anyway...but i believe that the US needs a much more totalitarian system until there is a concerted program of education for the thickoes of the south and midwest.

Might be better than being lorded over by a family of inbreds the whole country is supposed to idolize.

In general, all Americans I met in person so far have been quite likeable.
Apart from the Military police of course, but I have yet to meet a likeable German military police member either.

The republican party is an interesting thing, from my eyes seems to be composed of fiscal-discipline-state-rights (is the term right? I mean people who see the USA as a coalition of individual states)-people. They seem to be kinda equivalent to the German CDU/CSU. With them I tend to happily disagree while completely respecting them on a intellectual level.
Another part is composed of highly independent minded anti gouverment persons, with whom I, as someone who has actually experienced a (fairly) totalitarian system, agree quite a lot in principle. I just dont agree on specifics concerning gun control etc. .

The group that I fail to understand is the religious right.
While I do see them as much more egalitarian and democratic than the Catholic church, (afaik: Evangelicalists say: "Everyone can read the bible for himself and use common sense for the rest", Catholics say "The Pope knows best") I simply do not think that matters of belief have a place in politics.
I think that, concerning beliefs, religions and ideologies, a state should insure that all beliefs respect the law and that all beliefs have equivalent rights.
It should in my opinion, not endorse one over the other.

Establishing an amount of tolerance in, especially Germany, was a huge leap ahead historically, which is why I (and every German I know) are particularly opposed to people claiming to fulfill gods will against the "unbelievers".

What actually scares me are the neocons, their newspeak simply brings up to many bad memories, like a certain "anti-fascist-protective-wall".

"Homeland security" translates into "Heimatschutz" in german, which is a term with a strong NS-association. I also do not get why the Reps, who have created this huge ministery, are still supposed to be the party of small gouverment.

Bottom line: From my understanding of republican policies, this means, small gouverment, individual rights and fiscal discipline, I have problems to see how Bush and Cheney were/are republican.

P.S. It appears that John McCain represented this original republican party in the 2000 election, I am unsure that he represents it now.

P.P.S. What most Europeans do not know is that, over the entire history of the US, democratic presidents were significantly more likely to engage in foreign conflicts than republican ones. Once again, something that no longer holds true with the current "republican" adminstration.

Last edited:
I've long been a advocate of a basic reading and general test of knowledge test for voters, but I am in a serious minority on that issue.

At least you're not alone. I would go even further then you...

Instead of politicians bying votes with "tax cuts" or "$1000 credits" I would ask voters to pay for their vote.

That way, we would avoid situation where all those whose only contribution to this country is "filling the septic tank", place vote for politician who is stealing "in their name" from those who pay the taxes, and give to them so they can have more material to throw down to the sewer.

Cali;

Don't even bother with this close minded person, here is someone that likes to sit in london and trash the United States but yet will not say one single word about the his countries involvment in Iraq. He is among the many that are followers and would rathre follow and not lead, watch and not read, stand by and not get involved. so let him rant Cali, even though I may disagree with democrats here , I still admire them for their passion and love of country. My suggestion Mr. Collins to you as it was before, please, read a book, make a difference in your country before you start bashing other's.

There is no chance a reading or writing test will be made in regards voting. It was done already and ruled Unconstitutional. Why? Because it had as it's sole purpose the means to deny undesirables ( like blacks in the south) the right to vote.

Everyone votes or we create a system that is no longer what the Constitution protects. I can not believe you guys actually think such a system would be good, do a little research.

1957 Corvette (in Stephen Coonts' "Flight of the Intruder" it was referenced as the "finest car ever made"), Ray Bradbury, Jack Kerouac, Ernest Hemingway, Joseph Wambaugh, Thomas Wolfe, Henry David Thoreau (okay off the literarcy kick), Al Oerter, the blues, Big Sur, Mickey Mouse, Reese's peanut butter cups, cherry pie, Bob Dylan, the ad campaigners that made Harley Davidson famous, Billy Crystal, the Hubble telescope and Bandag.

Yep... but they'll still call you anti-American the second you criticize right wing policies :eusa_angel:

We're derivative - the other day I saw a bumper sticker with our flag and the words - 'Australia - Love it or Leave it!'.

And we now have politicians saying things are...."un-Australian".

:lol:

Forum List

Back