THE US is the most divided nation in the western world..why?

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by MichaelCollins, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MichaelCollins

MichaelCollins US last in Foreign aid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I would like the opinions of americans...as to why their country seems so divided.....unlike any other western nation

My theory is the religious extremism (absent in all other western nations) that exists in the midwest and southern states fosters a culture of ignorance and poor education standards.

This clashes with the educated and more travelled and world wise americans living in the remaining regions.

But I stand to be corrected and I would like to hear what you all think.

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    I think you are a troll.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. MichaelCollins

MichaelCollins US last in Foreign aid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37

No, I am not ..i can assure you.

This is an issue which really interests me.

There just isnt this division in terms of culture, beliefs, etc in any other first world nation... so i would love to hear from americans.. why they think this very clear and obvious division exists.

thanks.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Easy to explain...divide and conquer.

5. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,022
    We are uniquely divided because we are a unique nation. The USA did not survive the European conquest of the planet as did China and India to name just two. We were carved into the map by the European conquerers and they imported people and cultures from all over the world to do the work.

We don't have a sense of identity akin to China and India because they successfully defended themselves from the European conquest, and kept their identity. We don't have a similar sense of 'identity' as the Western Nations of Europe in particular because America is so young and was built by so many cultures on the sweat of greed and brutality.

We do have an 'American' sense of identity, as evidenced the second half of September, 2001. While a LOT of Americans have a hard time relating to the lives of other Americans, we roll up our sleeves and get to work when the shit hits the fan. Imagine what we'll be like once we figure out how to remove the profit motive from the leadership role!

-Joe

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Yes. They play on essential differences in world views which didn't change just because the south lost the civil war.

*Edit* Even so, I hardly think we're the most divided.... I just think we express it more than others.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You'd surely like to think so, but alas, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about and your theory is baselss.

Btw ... a fear of WHAT religion and its people divides YOUR nation? Based on your usual input, I'll bet you're in denial that such a divide exists.

Clean up your house so that it passes my inspection, THEN come tell me what's wrong with mine.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,029
    Unlike Europe which has multiple parties struggling for control of the Governments, forcing groups that sometimes are opposed to one another to make short lived unions to form Governments that then fall at the first sign of trouble, America has 2 main parties and while we have smaller ones they have no real influence say or power.

I suggest, once again, you look at YOUR country and the rest of Europe and explain how we are more divided then a place that lets about 35 percent of the electorate run the show. Hell the electorate do not even have any protections in most of Europe. They are at the mercy of Governments that can and do take away privileges all the time, YOU have no rights.

We are far from divided like Europe is, we have 2 major parties and they run the show.

Remind us how many Governments Italy has had since the 2nd WW? Your Government is not stable, it can be brought down at almost any time by a none support vote.

9. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,227
    WASHINGTON, July 13 — The year was 1973, and Karl Rove was looking for help — from the Nixon White House.

It all started back about here.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

You STFU up too, artard.