THE US is the most divided nation in the western world..why?

MichaelCollins

US last in Foreign aid
Sep 6, 2008
London
I would like the opinions of americans...as to why their country seems so divided.....unlike any other western nation

My theory is the religious extremism (absent in all other western nations) that exists in the midwest and southern states fosters a culture of ignorance and poor education standards.

This clashes with the educated and more travelled and world wise americans living in the remaining regions.

But I stand to be corrected and I would like to hear what you all think.

I think you are a troll.

No, I am not ..i can assure you.

This is an issue which really interests me.

There just isnt this division in terms of culture, beliefs, etc in any other first world nation... so i would love to hear from americans.. why they think this very clear and obvious division exists.

thanks.

I would like the opinions of americans...as to why their country seems so divided.....unlike any other western nation

My theory is the religious extremism (absent in all other western nations) that exists in the midwest and southern states fosters a culture of ignorance and poor education standards.

This clashes with the educated and more travelled and world wise americans living in the remaining regions.

We are uniquely divided because we are a unique nation. The USA did not survive the European conquest of the planet as did China and India to name just two. We were carved into the map by the European conquerers and they imported people and cultures from all over the world to do the work.

We don't have a sense of identity akin to China and India because they successfully defended themselves from the European conquest, and kept their identity. We don't have a similar sense of 'identity' as the Western Nations of Europe in particular because America is so young and was built by so many cultures on the sweat of greed and brutality.

We do have an 'American' sense of identity, as evidenced the second half of September, 2001. While a LOT of Americans have a hard time relating to the lives of other Americans, we roll up our sleeves and get to work when the shit hits the fan. Imagine what we'll be like once we figure out how to remove the profit motive from the leadership role!

-Joe

Last edited:

You'd surely like to think so, but alas, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about and your theory is baselss.

Btw ... a fear of WHAT religion and its people divides YOUR nation? Based on your usual input, I'll bet you're in denial that such a divide exists.

Clean up your house so that it passes my inspection, THEN come tell me what's wrong with mine.

Unlike Europe which has multiple parties struggling for control of the Governments, forcing groups that sometimes are opposed to one another to make short lived unions to form Governments that then fall at the first sign of trouble, America has 2 main parties and while we have smaller ones they have no real influence say or power.

I suggest, once again, you look at YOUR country and the rest of Europe and explain how we are more divided then a place that lets about 35 percent of the electorate run the show. Hell the electorate do not even have any protections in most of Europe. They are at the mercy of Governments that can and do take away privileges all the time, YOU have no rights.

We are far from divided like Europe is, we have 2 major parties and they run the show.

Remind us how many Governments Italy has had since the 2nd WW? Your Government is not stable, it can be brought down at almost any time by a none support vote.

WASHINGTON, July 13 — The year was 1973, and Karl Rove was looking for help — from the Nixon White House.

It all started back about here.

What the fuck is an "artard"? Maybe someone who pisses in a jar and inserts a crucifix?

To address the OP, we've been "at odds" since the founding. The Tories turned into Democrats. :D

That's as good a definition as any. Something has obviously happened to him that cause more trauma than the human mind can bear because his fell all the way to his ass.

We are not divided in the sense we dont want to be Americans we just are free to have a ldifference of opinion. We often exercise that freedom in the loudest ways possible including but not limited to electoions.

That's as good a definition as any. Something has obviously happened to him that cause more trauma than the human mind can bear because his fell all the way to his ass.

I have to agree with that.

But there are, unfortunately, a lot of people like him. Hopefully they're a small minority, though

Ohh look another board idiot. Notice how most of the idiots on this board are leftoids?

Are you a leftoid?

How come I never see you on any serious topics? Like this one:

Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers and other Wall Street giants helped foreign investors dodge billions of dollars in U.S. taxes on stock dividends while the IRS looked the other way, a Senate investigation found.

The firms worked with shell hedge funds that had little more than offshore mailing addresses in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere. The funds arranged complex equity swaps and stock loans aimed at circumventing U.S. tax laws, a staff report by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations said.

The IRS has neither enforced existing rules prohibiting the transactions nor tried to draft new standards, the 77-page report said.

“These are gimmicks peddled by American financial institutions to deny Uncle Sam taxes owed under our law,” Senator Carl Levin, who heads the panel, told reporters. “The IRS has pussyfooted on this.”

Morgan Stanley enabled foreign clients to avoid payment of more than $300 million in U.S. dividend taxes from 2000 to 2007. (THE SAME TIME THE REPUBLICANS RAN ALL THREE BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT)

Lehman estimated its customer’s eluded payment of as much $115 million in 2004 alone.

UBS helped clients escape payment of $62 million from 2004 to 2007.

Forum List

Back