The United States IS a Christian Nation

And I know what the commandments are. Having them on the lawn in front of the courthouse, or in a city park, or anywhere else, in no way jeopardizes those of other faiths.
Then you are aware that any governement effort to make firm or stable, to introduce and cause to grow and multiply, to bring into existence, to put on a firm basis, to put into a favorable position, to gain full recognition or acceptance of, or to make a national or state institution of the first four Commandments of the Judaeo/Muslim/Christian God, directly violates the First Amendment to the US Constitution.

Consider yourself dismissed.

So to you, a stone with an engraving on it makes an establishment of religion?

hahahahahahaha! now that's pretty funny....

Let's experiment and put a monument to the Koran on the steps of the courthouse in Alabama and see how fast you people decide that it IS an establishment of religion.

Then you are aware that any governement effort to make firm or stable, to introduce and cause to grow and multiply, to bring into existence, to put on a firm basis, to put into a favorable position, to gain full recognition or acceptance of, or to make a national or state institution of the first four Commandments of the Judaeo/Muslim/Christian God, directly violates the First Amendment to the US Constitution.

Let's experiment and put a monument to the Koran on the steps of the courthouse in Alabama and see how fast you people decide that it IS an establishment of religion.
Were Koreans part of our History and Culture when we began as a country?

Would you cut out the 10 commandment engraving on our Supreme Court walls in D.C. as well?

Besides, you're a Canadian aren't you....? What's in this for you? ;)

Care

Last edited:

Care

I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

Would you cut out the 10 commandment engraving on our Supreme Court walls in D.C. as well?

Which 10 C engraving are you referring to?

Care

I've never been to Canada but would it make a difference anyway? No.

Care

I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

I’m doing that too. I think that he meant to say “Korans”. Anyway, my reply would be that the Smithsonian would be a good place for that monument to the 10-Commandoments. Perhaps the museum keepers can place it next to the Enola Gay. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that our founding fathers were Christian and intended America to be Christian, we have moved beyond that prejudice and discrimination. At best, I think that religious references on government land might be placed deep inside a government museum – not on the front lawn of the courthouse steps.

Jefferson Madison Center for Religious Liberty - The Ten Commandments on Government Property: Fact or Fiction?

I'd probably have the engraving of Moses removed from the Supreme Court.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JpSW4ci-CCw/SduqwRxd7cI/AAAAAAAAAHw/dClWUuWoqMk/s400/Moses.jpg

Last edited:

Care

I've never been to Canada but would it make a difference anyway? No.
Oh, sorry about that...thought you were Canadian, and yes on this particular topic, it would make a difference and it would be interesting to know why there was the interest...

I don't belong to a religious establishment, or an established church, I was excommunicate by the church of my youth nearing 20 years ago, because I got married and divorced when I was very, very young and remarried later...

I have nothing at stake here on the topic regarding an established church's stance, though I do consider myself a Christian, a self taught Christian for the past 10-15 years....

It is my understanding that the supreme court has ruled that if the monument or statue like the 10 commandments were to be errected, that it had to be for secular reasons, such as the 10 commandments being part of the History of Law...

Supreme Court splits on Ten Commandments
By Warren Richey | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

WASHINGTON –
In a major showdown over the presentation of religious symbols and sacred text on public property, the US Supreme Court has made it somewhat easier for government officials to justify displays like the Ten Commandments.
But at the same time, the nation's highest court put officials on notice that their motives must be clearly secular for such displays to pass constitutional muster.

In two important church-state rulings announced Monday, the high court upheld a Ten Commandments display in Texas, but struck down one in Kentucky.

The rulings came on a busy final day of the US Supreme Court's 2004-2005 term that included no announced retirement by any justice. Many analysts say an announcement could come at any time.

In one Ten Commandments case the court said an outdoor public presentation of the Decalogue among other monuments on the Texas State Capitol grounds in Austin did not amount to an unconstitutional government promotion of religion.

The majority justices said that while the Texas display was an acknowledgment of a sacred religious text by the government, the public exhibit did not cross the line into impermissible proselytizing. The vote in the Texas case was 5 to 4.

Also, here is a quip about the 10 commandments and Moses engravings in our Supreme Court....google yourself for more info if you want it

Unquestioned representations of Moses and/or the 10 Commandments:

Moses and/or the 10 Commandments appear three times in the architectural embellishment of the Supreme Court building. Two of these representations depict Moses as simply one of several important lawgivers; ... The third instance has the Commandments as one of two artistic adornments on a set of doors.

the FF were neochristians, yes- they were also slaveholders, and we already agreed they were wrong about that one

the tablets of moses were turned so the religious laws cannot be seen- because this is not a 'christian nation'

Napolean Bonaparte, John Marshall, William Blackstone, Right of Man, Hugo Grotius, Louis IX, King John- all appear in the SC friezes as important figures credited with the codification of modern law as we have come to know it

Justice the Guardian of Liberty. This sculpture is a frieze located above the East (back) entrance to the Supreme Court building. Moses (holding blank tablets) is depicted as one of trio of three Eastern law givers (Confucius, Solon, and Moses). The trio is surrounded by a variety of allegorical figures representing legal themes. The artist, Herman MacNeil, described his intentions in creating the sculpture as follows:

Law as an element of civilization was normally and naturally derived or inherited in this country from former civilizations. The "Eastern Pediment" of the Supreme Court Building suggests therefore the treatment of such fundamental laws and precepts as are derived from the East. Moses, Confucius and Solon are chosen as representing three great civilizations and form the central group of this Pediment
The South Courtroom Frieze. The Courtroom friezes were designed by sculptor Adolph Weinman. These friezes are located well above the courtroom bench, on all four walls. The South and North wall friezes form a group that depicts a procession of 18 important lawgivers: Menes, Hammurabi, Moses, Solomon, Lycurgus, Solon, Draco, Confucius, Augustus, Justinian, Mohammed, Charlemagne, King John, St. Louis, Hugo Grotius, William Blackstone, John Marshall, and Napoleon. Moses is holding blank tablets. The Moses figure is no larger or more important than any other lawgiver. Again, there is nothing here to suggest and special connection between the 10 Commandments and American law.

The Curator's office makes the following comments on Weinman's North and South frieze sculptures:

Weinman's training emphasized a correlation between the sculptural subject and the function of the building and, because of this, Gilbert relied on him to choose the subjects and figures that best reflected the function of the Supreme Court building. Faithful to classical sources, Weinman designed for the Courtroom friezes a procession of "great lawgivers of history," from many civilizations, to portray the development of secular law (p. 2, emphasis ours).

The Oak Courtroom Doors. The oak doors separating the courtroom from the central hallway of the Supreme Court building contain a representation of tablets bearing the Roman numerals one through ten; the Commandments themselves are not written out. The tablets depiction is located on the inside bottom of the doors. A second artistic embellishment (a circle with engraved woodwork) is located at eye-level on the inside of the doors. Click here for a close-up of the tablet depiction. Click here for a picture of the entire door (the tablet depiction is the bottom circle).

It's interesting to note that the engraved circle embellishment is placed at eye level, while the 10 Commandment depiction is placed toward the bottom of the door in an out-of-the-way position. The Commandments are, of course, a perfectly logical artistic embellishment for a court of law but, given its placement, it doesn't appear that the artist has any special regard for the Commandments. Additionally, we note that the oak doors seem to be of little consequence as artistic creations. A search of the University of Louisville library turned up a number of books that discuss the architecture of the Supreme Court, and while all of them discuss the two pieces mentioned above, none of them mention the doors. It does not appear, in other words, that the doors are regarded very highly by scholars of art.

a fine commentary provided by the folk here

Last edited:
And I know what the commandments are. Having them on the lawn in front of the courthouse, or in a city park, or anywhere else, in no way jeopardizes those of other faiths.

This isn't about me.

That you think it is about me? Yes. :lol:

Last edited:

Irrelevent, but as an answer I'll offer that the 10 Commandments are a part of the history and culture described in the Koran, and neither had the important part to play that the First Amendment had in the history and culture of the United States.

I'd understand the action . . . if said engraving existed--but since it doesn't, I fail to see your point.

Waaaaaah!

Why are we a Christian nation? Is it because we founded the country?

Then are we also a WHITE nation? After all, white men founded this country.
We are a WASP nation....?

OMG, you totally missed the point I was making stupid. Just because christians settled/started this country, does not mean we are a christian nation.

In fact, many of us born into Christianity are not buying into it.

We may call ourselves christians, but we don't practice or attend church.

And you are losing numbers each year by the thousands.

Soon there might be more muslims here. Will we be a muslim nation then?

So stop with your nonsense. I don't want to be a fucking christian or muslim nation. I want America to be what it is. NON SECULAR.

Human's are evolving, which means moving beyond organized/man made religion. That's why organized religion hates science and evolution.

It proves religion is bullshit. Man was not put on this earth only 5000 years ago and we did crawl out of the sea at one point. That blows religion's myth out of the water.

So I don't consider America a WASP nation, and neither do millions of other citizens.

It may be controlled by WASPS, but that's changing too, and the WASPS are scared. Me, I'm thrilled. And I'm white!!! But I don't feel like I'm a part of the inner circle, so fuck em! :lol:

[

OMG, you totally missed the point I was making stupid.
clearly you missed my point, which was confirmation of your own

And you are losing numbers each year by the thousands.
who 'you'? :confused:

So stop with your nonsense. I don't want to be a fucking christian or muslim nation. I want America to be what it is. NON SECULAR.

um.. a 'non-secular' thing is religious... you do mean simply 'secular', right?

This is not a Christian nation. The words 'god' and 'Christ' never appear in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

Have you read the Declaration recently? It quite clearly uses the word 'God' and other euphemisms.

Thankfully, the Declaration is not the Constitution.

ROFLMNAO... isn't that precious kids... She's ALL about the USC... or so she feels... but she's not very comfortable with the Charter instrument if the United States, which lays out the principles on which America was founded and those which the US Constitution rests...

LOL... Morons...

Does it matter? No. It serves to illustrate that you point is at best bizarre. By the way a hell of a lot of the founders were New Englanders who didn't own slave one.

Does it matter? No. It serves to illustrate that you point is at best bizarre. By the way a hell of a lot of the founders were New Englanders who didn't own slave one.

...wtf?
Jules.gif

the god of their religion, however, calls for the enslavement of all non-jews. That they disobeyed the word of the god they claim- including the rebellion, which the NT condemns- and rebelled against god to found this great nation... only serves to weaken your argument and show your delusional claims to be simply uninformed foolishness

Forum List

Back