The United States IS a Christian Nation

Evangelical

Apr 18, 2009
Very confusing, first Obama says that we're not a Christian nation, then world acclaimed religion professors from such universities as the prestigious Boston University, acclaim that .... well in fact, the US is pervasively Christian and only a Christian would be so blind as to not see that fact.

In one of his keenest observations, Prothero relates that when he discusses the "Christian America" question in his classes, evangelical Christians describe America as a multicultural nation of religious diversity while non-Christian students see the nation as pervasively Christian. As he writes, "my Jewish students tell me you have to be blind (or Christian) not to see that this is a Christian country."

I would tend to agree, as Christians or even "Judeo-Christian" aligned persons, the ability to see just how Christian we are is inadequate since we don't know anything else.

We do not frequently visit or live in Muslim countries, or in East Asia, or India where Christianity has hardly shaped their worldview.

And we rarely associate with such persons enough to get an adequate perspective.

From an outside perspective, it would seem that Obama's comments would only be seen as crazy, or pandering, or false. I'm only suggesting that would be the case, I don't know if anyone has made that claim from say...the Middle East.

But, regarding the US, it seems someone is trying to change our "perception" and is getting away with it because of our inability to perceive the truth otherwise.

http://www.albertmohler.com/

Very confusing, first Obama says that we're not a Christian nation, then world acclaimed religion professors from such universities as the prestigious Boston University, acclaim that .... well in fact, the US is pervasively Christian and only a Christian would be so blind as to not see that fact.

In one of his keenest observations, Prothero relates that when he discusses the "Christian America" question in his classes, evangelical Christians describe America as a multicultural nation of religious diversity while non-Christian students see the nation as pervasively Christian. As he writes, "my Jewish students tell me you have to be blind (or Christian) not to see that this is a Christian country."

I would tend to agree, as Christians or even "Judeo-Christian" aligned persons, the ability to see just how Christian we are is inadequate since we don't know anything else.

We do not frequently visit or live in Muslim countries, or in East Asia, or India where Christianity has hardly shaped their worldview.

And we rarely associate with such persons enough to get an adequate perspective.

From an outside perspective, it would seem that Obama's comments would only be seen as crazy, or pandering, or false. I'm only suggesting that would be the case, I don't know if anyone has made that claim from say...the Middle East.

But, regarding the US, it seems someone is trying to change our "perception" and is getting away with it because of our inability to perceive the truth otherwise.

AlbertMohler.com

An interesting point. I know that, in a similar vein, I've mentioned to people how amazingly America-centric the point of view is of the very people who most criticize America for being America-centric. It's really kind of amusing sometimes to realize just how much we unconsciously project Americanism onto everything, even those of us who seem to hate everything about America.

An example, for those of you who are going to demand one, would be a leftist journailst - I'd have to look up the name - who reported on why people in Muslim countries support Osama bin Laden so much, and said it was because he did good works in the community like building daycare centers. (And if you can't see why that's funny, it's because you're being America-centric. :lol: )

I think that whether or not America is a Christian nation depends on the definition of a "Christian nation".

Does “Christian nation" = theocracy? In other words, is a Christian nation a nation in which the clergy who belong to the Christian denomination(s) essentially govern the nation through the government.

Does “Christian nation" = a nation in which a Christian denomination(s) is the established religion of that nation? A good example of such a government would be the Massachusetts Bay Colony as it was under the strict rule of the Puritans. No room was made for serving God according to one's own conscience.

Does "Christian nation" = a nation in which the basic principles of Christianity, found clearly written and promulgated in the Scriptures, were the foundation of the form of government and the quality of society and culture?

Does “Christian nation” = a nation in which its citizens claim to be Christian?

Christian in the sense that our basic values were established by Christendom?

Sure, true.

What's your point?

AlbertMohler.com

only a Christian would be so blind as to not see

It took a few tries but I think you are on to something.

America is not nw nor has it ever been a christian Nation. It has a various points in time been a nation composed largely of either Christians or those who thought themsleves to be Christianity. Christianity is not now nor has it ever been about the nation state, it is about the individual human heart.

Nope, nope, and nope.

Three strikes, and you're out.

no evidence to support your claims on any of those- you area a liar
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
-Constitution

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion ...
-Treaty of Tripoli, 1797, approved by the Senate and signed by John Adams

The matter is settlled. Anyone who says othewise is either delusional or a liar

The FF Founded a secular state to protect both state and religion

cecile, please never have kids

I thought we were a DEOMOCRACY.

de⋅moc⋅ra⋅cy
   /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-mok-ruh-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -cies.
1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Nope......didn't see squat about religion in the definition from dictionary.com.

Anyone? Anyone?

Actually, our democracy is based upon BIBLICAL tenets. Hence "all men created equal" by GOD.....

And we have separation of church and state thanks to CHRISTIANS, i.e., the BAPTISTS, who felt strongly that in order to protect FREEDOM OF RELIGION it was necessary.

AlbertMohler.com

That tortures people. :cuckoo::eusa_liar::eusa_pray::lol::eusa_shhh::eusa_whistle::eusa_drool:

I thought we were a DEOMOCRACY.
Anyone? Anyone?

FAIL!
This is a republic. The Founding Fathers spoke often of the dangers and abuses of a Democracy
'demiocracy' =/= 'Democracy'
The form of government is a republic, which is a democratic type

6th grade civics, people

Actually, our democracy is based upon BIBLICAL tenets. Hence "all men created equal" by GOD.....[/quot]

'god' appears nowhere in the constitutioon, only a vague, deistic 'creator' that can be read according to one's personal faith

And we have separation of church and state thanks to CHRISTIANS, i.e., the BAPTISTS, who felt strongly that in order to protect FREEDOM OF RELIGION it was necessary.

Actuially, it's there because chrisitains knew cheristians couldn't be trusted and noone wanted their religion to end up the minority vote and see other bastard 'xtian' faiths push them out

If we're a republic, then why the fuck do idiots like Bush Jr. keep calling us a democracy, as well as keep telling others that we export democracy?

Nope, nope, and nope.

Three strikes, and you're out.

no evidence to support your claims on any of those- you area a liar
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
-Constitution

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion ...
-Treaty of Tripoli, 1797, approved by the Senate and signed by John Adams

The matter is settlled. Anyone who says othewise is either delusional or a liar

The FF Founded a secular state to protect both state and religion

cecile, please never have kids

Wow, a gratuitous hit at family members. Not only are you an uneducated moron, but you're an ill-mannered dipshit who can't follow basic board etiquette.

I'd say don't have kids yourself, but I doubt you're smart enough to figure out how it's done. FLUSH!

Forum List

Back