Americans leave religion through drift, not rupture.

Maybe some people don't leave their religion so much, as they leave their church.

Maybe they don't think a mainstream church best fits their needs, and want to worship in other ways, or look for something outside of the box so to speak.

Study Shows Americans Leave Religion Due to Drift, Not Rupture - washingtonpost.com

looks like more people leave religion due to apathy than disbelief.

here are some more exact figures.

Pew Forum: Faith in Flux: Religious Conversion Statistics and Changes in Religious Affiliation in the U.S.: Interactive Graphic

What was your reason for leaving/joining your religion?

Smartt: Apathy hasn't just effected religion. Look around you, people everywhere are only looking within themselves for happiness and pleasure. The world, and even the family is taking a back seat to individuals everywhere.

It is happening in religion as well. It is a sad thing when churches not only don't have the money to help its members, but are not trying to change that problem. Someone comes to the church for help and they get sent to some secular organization.

No one cares is a neighbor is hurting, or even dying. They don't want to get involved.

Yes, the world is getting sick. I am so thankful that God is not becoming apathetic toward us. He is still working in mughty ways, at least in my life (that is all I can say for sure) I know He is still reaching into this old world calling and drawing people to Him.

God bless America.

Americans are leaving religion because it's just one big money grab to see who can rip off their flock the most and build the biggest church possible to spread their message of hate towards fellow humans, such as gay people.

That's not what the survey says.

Forum List

Back