The Unenforceability of abortion bans

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
The biggest problem I see with those on the anti-abortion side is that they never tell you how they are going to enforce a ban on abortion.

Lest, we forget, the main reason why the Court (including 5 Republicans) voted to end abortion laws in the US is because they were being routinely ignored by women and their health care providers. The court was merely recognizing the reality the prudes failed to admit.

If anyone doubts this, we only need to look at the birth rates for the 1970's.

1970​
3,731,386​
18.4​
1971​
3,555,970​
17.2​
1972​
3,258,411​
15.6​
1973​
3,136,965​
14.9​
1974​
3,159,958​
14.9​
1975​
3,144,198​
14.8​
1976​
3,167,788​
14.8​

There was no sudden drop in the live birth rate because abortions were now available. In fact, it leveled off in 1973.

Why? Because abortion laws were being routinely ignored. Despite all the horror stories told by the abortion rights side about coat hangers and Lysol, most women were ending unwanted pregnancies in the comfort of their OB/GYN's office. Women were never arrested for having abortions, and providers were rarely prosecuted unless some kind of negligence that injured the women was involved

So you get the laws on the books you want in half the country, what happens? Abortions will simply move from abortion clinics back to OB/GYN offices.

if anything, an abortion ban will be harder to enforce in 2022 than in 1973, because more states WILL keep it legal now, because it will be much easier to cross state lines, and because the option of pharmaceutical abortions will be available.

Laws only really work when you have universal agreement there should be a law. If you don't, police won't investigate, prosecutors won't file charges, and juries won't convict.

The first prosecution for a woman for having an abortion will be a lightening rod of unpopularity. The only time I remember Trump ever backing down from saying something really stupid ws when he said that women should be punished for having abortions, and then immediately reversing himself.

Joe, you ignorant slut. Just quit your bitching. All this Supreme Court decision means is that now abortion will be treated like almost all other issues and will be up to the discretion of the States and Locals.

If a woman wants to kill her child for birth control all she will have to do is go to one of the Commie states. The Commie states love killing children.

You can bet that if it's returned to the states and a state imposes a 15 week limit (reflecting the will of their citizens on the matter) there will be penalties for anyone providing abortion services after that 15 week period unless it meets criteria set for a abortion after that time.

In our litigious society no OB/GYN doctor is going to risk their license/insurance over that shit. Just look at TX, the mere threat of legal action has done it's work.

I suspect the woman would be held harmless as there will be other states she can go to for the procedure. Hey, maybe PP can line-up a bus to take them out of state. ;)

As far as I am concerned I hope it turns-out to be a narrow decision just reflecting the "Mississippi Compromise" leaving RvW intact because abortion in some states is getting closer to infanticide.....Honestly abortion is not even a blip on my "give a shit" radar.

Over half of all abortions are done with abortion pills. With the new bans in Red States, that number will increase

Not much Red States can do stop these pills from being shipped into their states.
I also envision “abortion tourism” with low priced buses taking patients for “medical treatment” in other states

Is this what the pro-baby murder side is reduced to? Don't even try to stop infanticide because they will happen anyway.
With your logic, why have pedo & child abuse laws since they happen anyway?
It's always the right time to stand up for the most vulnerable & innocent in our society.
You do understand that at the moment of conception it isn't a baby. It's a zygote....right?
And why is it that the moment that baby that you forced a woman to keep drops out of her, you couldn't give a rat's ass about it?

Comrade Iosef, since killing the unborn means so much to you, I suggest you open your own back-alley abortion shop.
Moon Bat Joe spent months bitching about Kyle Rittenhouse using an AR to shoot some of his Commie buddies in self defense and now he will spend months bitching about the Supreme Court saving the lives of children.

I would put the crazy Moon Bat on ignore except for the fact it is a hoot and a half to listen to his Libtard bullshit.

You do understand that at the moment of conception it isn't a baby. It's a zygote....right?
And why is it that the moment that baby that you forced a woman to keep drops out of her, you couldn't give a rat's ass about it?
At the moment of conception, the VERY moment, it is a separate living entity with unique human DNA. It is entitled to the same right to life the rest of us are.

You can bet that if it's returned to the states and a state imposes a 15 week limit (reflecting the will of their citizens on the matter) there will be penalties for anyone providing abortion services after that 15 week period unless it meets criteria set for a abortion after that time.

In our litigious society no OB/GYN doctor is going to risk their license/insurance over that shit. Just look at TX, the mere threat of legal action has done it's work.

I suspect the woman would be held harmless as there will be other states she can go to for the procedure. Hey, maybe PP can line-up a bus to take them out of state. ;)

As far as I am concerned I hope it turns-out to be a narrow decision just reflecting the "Mississippi Compromise" leaving RvW intact because abortion in some states is getting closer to infanticide.....Honestly abortion is not even a blip on my "give a shit" radar.
Who's to say what week they are exactly? :wink:

Joe, you ignorant slut. Just quit your bitching. All this Supreme Court decision means is that now abortion will be treated like almost all other issues and will be up to the discretion of the States and Locals.

If a woman wants to kill her child for birth control all she will have to do is go to one of the Commie states. The Commie states love killing children.

Except it's not stopping there

How much control over you life are you willing to concede to a popular vote?

At the moment of conception, the VERY moment, it is a separate living entity with unique human DNA. It is entitled to the same right to life the rest of us are.
Then if you get a woman pregnant, don't have an abortion.
Otherwise, stay out of other people's bidness and stop asserting your God's wishes on everyone else. :)

And yet they still want it.

This is what happens when you let rights be subject to the popular vote.

Protection of rights is still subject to popular vote, just supermajorities instead of majorities.

You may think there is a right to an abortion, however the Constitution doesn't.

Protection of rights is still subject to popular vote, just supermajorities instead of majorities.

You may think there is a right to an abortion, however the Constitution doesn't.
I never said there was a right to an abortion. But then again the 9th Amendment also officially recognizes that rights not enumerated in the Constitution do indeed exist.

And do you believe a person has the right to do what he or she wants to do to his or her own body? There is no right to any surgery or medical procedures specifically listed in the Constitution either.

I never said there was a right to an abortion. But then again the 9th Amendment also officially recognizes that rights not enumerated in the Constitution do indeed exist.

And do you believe a person has the right to do what he or she wants to do to his or her own body? There is no right to any surgery or medical procedures specifically listed in the Constitution either.

They exist, but if they aren't in the document, then it devolves to the State.

My issue with Roe is it's bad law. Getting rid of it is a good first step to fixing the balances between the 3 federal branches as well as the balances between Feds and State.

They exist, but if they aren't in the document, then it devolves to the State.

My issue with Roe is it's bad law. Getting rid of it is a good first step to fixing the balances between the 3 federal branches as well as the balances between Feds and State.
No it doesn't.

Tell me you'd you be OK with any state putting to the popular your ability to get a medical procedure?

Why do you want to give the fucking government that kind of power over your life?

Forum List

Back