The UN Chief is now a climate expert. Wonderful !

HikerGuy83

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2021

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday pleaded for immediate radical action on climate change, saying that record-shattering July temperatures show Earth has passed from a warming phase into an “era of global boiling”.

A blistering heatwave is sweeping the northern hemisphere, including parts of Europe and the Americas, with record-high temperatures triggering devastating wildfires in countries such as Greece, Italy and Algeria along the Mediterranean.

Speaking in New York, Guterres described the intense heat across the northern hemisphere as a “cruel summer”.

“For the entire planet, it is a disaster,” he said, noting that “short of a mini-Ice Age over the next days, July 2023 will shatter records across the board.”

Drama drama drama drama......

No wonder nobody listens to them.

I live in Mesa AZ (essentially Phoenix). It's hot, but nothing special. All I read about is the "blistering heat". I was out in it for a couple of hours today. I am still not even sunburned. :cool:

I just don't get how these people don't see their "chicken little" approach to things as SSDD. It's been going on to long.

All these predictions and what ? Life seems to be going on.

He later says: “Climate change is here. It is terrifying. And it is just the beginning. The era of global warming has ended; the era of global boiling has arrived.”

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday pleaded for immediate radical action on climate change, saying that record-shattering July temperatures show Earth has passed from a warming phase into an “era of global boiling”.

85cdba487f97a94ae384e7aca4e40c2a.gif

OHMYGOSH! A month of hot weather in July! Quick! The fire hoses! Every man for himself!

Don't these idiots realize that even if what they claim is true, even if we went 100% green tomorrow, closed all factories and banned all cars, killing off millions of people, that the Earth would continue to heat by hysteresis for at least another 50 years before even leveling off?

If AGW is really true and we caused it all, the time to act was back when there were still only 2-3 billion people in the world and there was TIME to implement social and technological charge slowly.

Basically, they are admitting that they failed and we are fucked.

Just how are we f**ked ?

How are we fucked? Didn't the UN guy just say that July weather confirms that AGW is real and HERE? Now? Did you read my post? Do you understand hysteresis?

Assuming that all true, this means that it is already way too late and that we cannot possibly act enough in time to stop climate change, and even by draconian methods which would kill millions, the Earth is now bound to keep heating hotter and hotter for at least another 50-80-100 years.

Get it now?

How are we fucked? Didn't the UN guy just say that July weather confirms that AGW is real and HERE? Now? Did you read my post? Do you understand hysteresis?

Assuming that all true, this means that it is already way too late and that we cannot possibly act enough in time to stop climate change, and even by draconian methods which would kill millions, the Earth is now bound to keep heating hotter and hotter for at least another 50-80-100 years.

Get it now?

So what if it gets hotter and hotter ?

I guess I am missing something.

A blistering heatwave is sweeping the northern hemisphere, including parts of Europe and the Americas, with record-high temperatures triggering devastating wildfires in countries such as Greece, Italy and Algeria along the Mediterranean.

Speaking in New York, Guterres described the intense heat across the northern hemisphere as a “cruel summer”.

“For the entire planet, it is a disaster,” he said, noting that “short of a mini-Ice Age over the next days, July 2023 will shatter records across the board.”

I live in Mesa AZ (essentially Phoenix). It's hot, but nothing special. All I read about is the "blistering heat". I was out in it for a couple of hours today. I am still not even sunburned. :cool:

I just don't get how these people don't see their "chicken little" approach to things as SSDD. It's been going on to long.

He later says: “Climate change is here. It is terrifying. And it is just the beginning. The era of global warming has ended; the era of global boiling has arrived.”

I live in western Coloado and we are going through a series of over 100 degree days. About 45 of them in a row. It affects the snow pack that makes the water that flows down steam. While we'll live, someday, you won't since the snowpack is your drinking water. And that where you get ALL your drinking water.

Firstly, I'm not going to disagree that there are loads of people who jump on the "man made global warming" wagon without a clue of what they're talking about.

HOWEVER, you said "it's not hotter here than before", same where I am, in fact night temperatures are lower than normal.
But just because it's not raining here, doesn't mean it's not raining anywhere.
That's illogical.

Notice,.trillions.spent, multiple g!obal deals and handshakes....so, for what???!! We.want our taxes back you crooks. They never call out China or India, they ask the fools in the West to continue to bankrupt their nation. What was the Paris Accord for then? We were sold on the idea.that all were saved.(for trillions of dollars citizens could have used).

Firstly, I'm not going to disagree that there are loads of people who jump on the "man made global warming" wagon without a clue of what they're talking about.

HOWEVER, you said "it's not hotter here than before", same where I am, in fact night temperatures are lower than normal.
That's illogical.
It`s not unusual for people to confuse climate with local weather.

Let's say your house catches on fire. Your family and pets are inside. You are distraught trying to get them out. Your neighbor comes to you and says "Drama, drama, drama, drama..."
No wonder no one should be listening to you.
I live in Mesa AZ (essentially Phoenix). It's hot, but nothing special. All I read about is the "blistering heat". I was out in it for a couple of hours today. I am still not even sunburned.
I just posted about the 18 heat deaths in Maricopa County and the ME's office being at 106% of capacity with bodies being held in portable freezer trailers. Glad you didn't get sunburned.
Interesting choice of words. In my entire life, I've seen only one other person use that acronym.
Not for the 18 dead from the heat in Maricopa.
How effective a speaker are you in Portuguese?

That's illogical.

Don't disagree.

However, Phoenix is being pointed at as some kind of blast furnace.

It's normal (it's still 6 to 7 degrees cooler than the 1990 record of 122).

We normally get breaks, but that hasn't happened.

But, the temperatures we are experiencing are not new to us.

It's anecdotal, I know. Just hard to read all this and not wonder what people are missing....or what am I missing.

Not for the 18 dead from the heat in Maricopa.

This is more drama.

Most of those people are homeless folks.

It happens EVERY year.

And is actually down given that our homeless population has increased (or so I have been told).

I don't like that people die from heat.

But it's not new.

Last year, I think the number was above 100.

Don't disagree.

However, Phoenix is being pointed at as some kind of blast furnace.

It's normal (it's still 6 to 7 degrees cooler than the 1990 record of 122).

We normally get breaks, but that hasn't happened.

But, the temperatures we are experiencing are not new to us.

It's anecdotal, I know. Just hard to read all this and not wonder what people are missing....or what am I missing.
The lack of breaks IS the significant change. But the temperature in Phoenix each day is the weather - it is just a wee, dramatic piece of the picture. That the world should be having the hottest month in thousands of years, however, is climate

It`s not unusual for people to confuse climate with local weather.

When your local weather is a focal point, it's O.K. to say something.

I get the difference and I am not saying it is an issue.

But when I live in a place that is being pointed at as "an example" and it's nothing new.....I do have to wonder.

Then it gets hotter. It's not like you have any choice.

Kinda where I am.

I certainly don't want to walk over a cliff.

But the conversation....my mistake....the lecturing (from both sides) has reached a fevor point.

And, as near as I can tell, the lack of cooperation means we won't be making any changes any time soon.

I've always believed we need to be good stewards of the planet. But, that isn't what this is about anymore.

This [18 dead in Maricopa] is more drama.
No, it was a response to your comment that everything was fine.
Most of those people are homeless folks.
Or elderly or infants or the poor. Which of these groups do you believe lack the right to life?
It happens EVERY year.
Apparently not.
And is actually down given that our homeless population has increased (or so I have been told).
More people that don't matter sorta makes a problem go away?
I don't like that people die from heat.
Really? That doesn't really align with the comments you've just made, but I'm glad to see you say it.
But it's not new.

Last year, I think the number was above 100.
I guess they should have seen it coming.

Forum List

Back