The U.S. War On Drugs May Soon Run Into A Problem...

And, of course, the first thing on the mind of the would-be junkie is whether or not his substance of choice is legal.

:cuckoo:

I never understand why people think abusing heroin or meth is worse than abusing the mile long list of prescription drugs that get abused.

I dunno, maybe because that would mean they'd have to stick all their negative assumptions about drug users to Rush Limbaugh?

I've never understood why people think that legalizing heroin or meth will be better than people who abuse prescription drugs.

I've never met anyone who thinks that, so I can't really respond to that.

If meth and heroin are legalized, people will still abuse prescription drugs. I drink alcohol on the weekend cuz it's a drug i like, legalizing meth won't make me switch my drug of choice from alcohol to meth.

I never understand why people think abusing heroin or meth is worse than abusing the mile long list of prescription drugs that get abused.

I dunno, maybe because that would mean they'd have to stick all their negative assumptions about drug users to Rush Limbaugh?

I've never understood why people think that legalizing heroin or meth will be better than people who abuse prescription drugs.

If meth and heroin are legalized, people will still abuse prescription drugs. I drink alcohol on the weekend cuz it's a drug i like, legalizing meth won't make me switch my drug of choice from alcohol to meth.

No, it will just be harder to keep those who do use meth in prison since they were doing something perfectly legal.

Suddenly it's marijuana?

Well marijuana is an illegal drug in the U.S., so i dunno why my point is invalid.

I'd have to be one hell of a hypocrite after i drink at the bar tomorrow night to later come on here and rail against marijuana users when what i did is so much worse.

Except marijuana isn't the only illegal drug. If you want to talk legalizing drugs, let's talk about cocaine and opiates. You want those legal? If not you're a hypocrite. If so you're an idiot.

Yes i want those legal. An idiot, actually worse an insane person, is the type who thinks doing the same thing over and over again with negative results will somehow magically turn positive.

The only people who would say the War on Drugs is working are gangs, thugs, drug lords and terrorists.

No, it will just be harder to keep those who do use meth in prison since they were doing something perfectly legal.

Great point, throwing people in jail solely for drugs and taxing the hell out of americans in a recession in order to keep the police state going is something that has to stop.

Well marijuana is an illegal drug in the U.S., so i dunno why my point is invalid.

I'd have to be one hell of a hypocrite after i drink at the bar tomorrow night to later come on here and rail against marijuana users when what i did is so much worse.

Except marijuana isn't the only illegal drug. If you want to talk legalizing drugs, let's talk about cocaine and opiates. You want those legal? If not you're a hypocrite. If so you're an idiot.

Yes i want those legal. An idiot, actually worse an insane person, is the type who thinks doing the same thing over and over again with negative results will somehow magically turn positive.

The only people who would say the War on Drugs is working are gangs, thugs, drug lords and terrorists.

So do you image the rate of drug use, specifically cocaine and opiate will increase or decrease as the result of legalization?

So do you image the rate of drug use, specifically cocaine and opiate will increase or decrease as the result of legalization?

Neither, stay the same, I've never talked to anyone who says "Geez I'd love some cocaine right now but I'm not going to do it cuz it's illegal."

It's illegal to drive 75 in Ohio, I do it anyways every day of the week.

Neither, stay the same, I've never talked to anyone who says "Geez I'd love some cocaine right now but I'm not going to do it cuz it's illegal."

So because you've never met anyone that is sufficient evidence for your view?
Really?

So because you've never met anyone that is sufficient evidence for your view?
Really?

No, obviously not. I haven't seen studies for other drugs, but when it comes to marijuana, studies show the use in Amsterdam to be no higher than the use of mj in the United States despite our laws being the complete opposite.

Which is why Amsterdam recently cracked down on MJ cafes.
Insufficient evidence. Logic dictates addiction rates will go dramatically up. Why anyone imagines that's a good thing is beyond me.

No, it will save money by not putting people in jail for recreation. It will enable us to arrest people for actual crimes like burglary and murder and not over tax the system or our pockets. It will remove the major source of capital for the cartels and other criminal enterprises. Our jails are full of people convicted of simple possesion.

Why would you want to put or keep someone in jail for simple use?

Last edited:
Insufficient evidence. Logic dictates addiction rates will go dramatically up. Why anyone imagines that's a good thing is beyond me.

I don't know who believes addiction rates going up is a good thing, but I imagine plenty of people who are for the legalization of drugs believe more personal freedom is a good thing.

It's a question of what a person considers worth having government interfere with their lives. Is it worth giving up freedom to prevent more drug addiction? Is it worth spending the time, money and manpower on prisons to keep drug users off the streets? The answers vary from person to person.

I don't know who believes addiction rates going up is a good thing, but I imagine plenty of people who are for the legalization of drugs believe more personal freedom is a good thing.

It's a question of what a person considers worth having government interfere with their lives. Is it worth giving up freedom to prevent more drug addiction? Is it worth spending the time, money and manpower on prisons to keep drug users off the streets? The answers vary from person to person.

Look at all the lost wages and health problems due to drug addiction presently. Multiply that by about 3. I'd say it's worth it. ANyone who isn't living on a farm in N.Dakota would probably think so.

Look at all the lost wages and health problems due to drug addiction presently. Multiply that by about 3. I'd say it's worth it. ANyone who isn't living on a farm in N.Dakota would probably think so.

I disagree. Plenty of people will, when considering just the cost, look at the cost of our prisons, police, DEA, courts, etc. when it comes to the war on drugs and say that is even worse than the cost from drug addiction. Further, you have to break the costs for drug addiction down to show the cost just from currently illegal drugs.

Cost is only one part of the argument, anyway. There is the question of personal freedom, as well. Should the government have the ability to limit what substances an adult wishes to use? If so, why is something like alcohol legal? That leads to addiction, crime, and cost as well, and is used by FAR more people than most illegal drugs.

This is not a simple, black and white question. People can reasonably come to very different conclusions.

If you are the party of less gov't than how can you justify the war on drugs? Stay out of my business. Its none of yours. Hypocrites. Stay out of others business. If they want drugs so then how can you possibly justify a mandate that says you cant have them? It should be a part of the free market.

I disagree. Plenty of people will, when considering just the cost, look at the cost of our prisons, police, DEA, courts, etc. when it comes to the war on drugs and say that is even worse than the cost from drug addiction. Further, you have to break the costs for drug addiction down to show the cost just from currently illegal drugs.

Cost is only one part of the argument, anyway. There is the question of personal freedom, as well. Should the government have the ability to limit what substances an adult wishes to use? If so, why is something like alcohol legal? That leads to addiction, crime, and cost as well, and is used by FAR more people than most illegal drugs.

This is not a simple, black and white question. People can reasonably come to very different conclusions.

Or you could argue, does gov't have the duty to try to assure a safe stable society? I would argue yes, but balancing personal freedom in there. You dont have the freedom to steal, or murder (except in the case of abortion and euthanasia in some states). Those are impositions. But a stable society demands such.
Yes, reasonable people can disagree.

They complain to be told that the girl needs to loosen up and fit in. Meaning have sex with boys she isn't interested in and take drugs like a "normal teen".

Don't lie. No school is telling her to have sex and take drugs.

Forum List

Back