The South still lies about the Civil War

When I read this article, I can see the roots in what we are witnessing today. Must reading.

The South still lies about the Civil War - Salon.com

But presenting the “correct” version of history was only half the battle; the other half was preventing “incorrect” versions from ever infiltrating Southern schools. Before the Civil War, education was strictly a private and/or local affair. After the Civil War, it became a subject of federal interest. The first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867, and Congress passed several laws in the 1870s aimed at establishing a national education system. White Southerners reacted to all this with a renewed determination to prevent outsiders from maligning the reputation of their gallant fighting men by writing textbooks especially for Southern students. One postwar author was none other than Alexander Stephens, former vice president of the Confederacy, whose portrayal of the war sounds remarkably like the version you hear from many Southerners and political conservatives today: it was a noble but doomed effort on the part of the South to preserve self-government against federal intrusion, and it had little to do with slavery. (This was the same Alexander Stephens who had proclaimed in 1861 that slavery was the “cornerstone” of Southern society and “the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”)

Much more at the link.

Did it occur to you to try to read the other side before you ran with this article? In point of fact, the article is loaded with errors, distortions, and omissions.

Compare that article to this one:

Southern Side of the Civil War

Michael T. Griffith? A Mormon apologist and conspiracy theorist? No sir, I'm done listening to the lies from southern right wing pundants. The facts of the Civil War are largely not debated among historians. It is only when talking with southern pundants and less educated Americans that we see these disagreements. Now, if you have something specific you see in my OP that you would like to address specifically, lets see it.

mikegriffith said:
Did it occur to you to try to read the other side before you ran with this article? In point of fact, the article is loaded with errors, distortions, and omissions.

Compare that article to this one:

Southern Side of the Civil War

Michael T. Griffith? You are the Mormon apologist and conspiracy theorist, am I right? No sir, I'm done listening to the lies from southern right wing pundants. The facts of the Civil War are largely not debated among historians. It is only when talking with southern pundants and less educated Americans that we see these disagreements. Now, if you have something you see in my OP that you would like to address specifically, lets see it.

Here is an in depth report from Infowars...MUST READ!!!!

Obama And Hillary Both Had No Problem Using Confederate Flag During Presidential Campaigns Alex Jones Infowars There s a war on for your mind

Did I mention it was from Infowars? You should definitely believe every word of it, just like Salon...no bias at all.

Are you a complete idiot OP, or do you just play one on the internet?

Alex Jones? Really? What a load of bullshit.

The light dawns, the sarcasm may have gone right over your head, but the message wasn't lost.

Insert *Salon* in place of *Alex Jones* and you will have made TWO true statements today...and after reading your posts, I imagine that is likely a record.

Can you cite anything specific in the OP that you disagree with, and can counter with verifiable information?

Mike is Michael T.? I knew all of this sounded eerily familiar.

OK. Mike you are wrong, but you have gotten milder.

1. You didn't present an OP. You presented a link to someone else's OP who is not available for questions.
2. The Civil War (War of Northern Aggression) belongs in the history section.
3. The North continues to lie about the war.

1. The South does lie about the war.

2. The proper title is the War of Southern Aggression.

3. All the losers can do now is cry about it. Tough.

1. You didn't present an OP. You presented a link to someone else's OP who is not available for questions.
2. The Civil War (War of Northern Aggression) belongs in the history section.
3. The North continues to lie about the war.

I'm available. Do you have any questions you'd like to ask?

The civil war was a fight against the worst kind of tyranny.

Spartacus lost against the Romans.
William Wallace lost against the British.

The loss doesn't make the cause of fighting oppression less noble.

Non sequitur. Spartacus was fighting against slavery; Wallace was fighting against the British invaders. The American South was trying to topple the American Nation and was executed for treason.

"The American South was trying to topple the American Nation and was executed for treason."

The Confederacy was as much an American nation as was the Union.
And how could the South be guilty of treason unless it was part of the same country? Can't have it both ways.

When I read this article, I can see the roots in what we are witnessing today. Must reading.

The South still lies about the Civil War - Salon.com

But presenting the “correct” version of history was only half the battle; the other half was preventing “incorrect” versions from ever infiltrating Southern schools. Before the Civil War, education was strictly a private and/or local affair. After the Civil War, it became a subject of federal interest. The first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867, and Congress passed several laws in the 1870s aimed at establishing a national education system. White Southerners reacted to all this with a renewed determination to prevent outsiders from maligning the reputation of their gallant fighting men by writing textbooks especially for Southern students. One postwar author was none other than Alexander Stephens, former vice president of the Confederacy, whose portrayal of the war sounds remarkably like the version you hear from many Southerners and political conservatives today: it was a noble but doomed effort on the part of the South to preserve self-government against federal intrusion, and it had little to do with slavery. (This was the same Alexander Stephens who had proclaimed in 1861 that slavery was the “cornerstone” of Southern society and “the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”)

Much more at the link.
tumblr_mbr4rfErIk1rrpsd7.gif

Forum List

Back