The South still lies about the Civil War

Bugler

Jun 23, 2015
When I read this article, I can see the roots in what we are witnessing today. Must reading.

The South still lies about the Civil War - Salon.com

But presenting the “correct” version of history was only half the battle; the other half was preventing “incorrect” versions from ever infiltrating Southern schools. Before the Civil War, education was strictly a private and/or local affair. After the Civil War, it became a subject of federal interest. The first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867, and Congress passed several laws in the 1870s aimed at establishing a national education system. White Southerners reacted to all this with a renewed determination to prevent outsiders from maligning the reputation of their gallant fighting men by writing textbooks especially for Southern students. One postwar author was none other than Alexander Stephens, former vice president of the Confederacy, whose portrayal of the war sounds remarkably like the version you hear from many Southerners and political conservatives today: it was a noble but doomed effort on the part of the South to preserve self-government against federal intrusion, and it had little to do with slavery. (This was the same Alexander Stephens who had proclaimed in 1861 that slavery was the “cornerstone” of Southern society and “the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”)

Much more at the link.

When I read this article, I can see the roots in what we are witnessing today. Must reading.

But presenting the “correct” version of history was only half the battle; the other half was preventing “incorrect” versions from ever infiltrating Southern schools. Before the Civil War, education was strictly a private and/or local affair. After the Civil War, it became a subject of federal interest. The first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867, and Congress passed several laws in the 1870s aimed at establishing a national education system. White Southerners reacted to all this with a renewed determination to prevent outsiders from maligning the reputation of their gallant fighting men by writing textbooks especially for Southern students. One postwar author was none other than Alexander Stephens, former vice president of the Confederacy, whose portrayal of the war sounds remarkably like the version you hear from many Southerners and political conservatives today: it was a noble but doomed effort on the part of the South to preserve self-government against federal intrusion, and it had little to do with slavery. (This was the same Alexander Stephens who had proclaimed in 1861 that slavery was the “cornerstone” of Southern society and “the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”)

Much more at the link.
Wow....we are certainly seeing the fruits of that Southern "education" right here on these boards, aren't we?

Much more at the link.
Racists see racism in everything.

But I find it interesting that you don't see it.

The victors in war were going to write the history of the intent and motives of the losers, and the losers were having none of it.

So, in your mind, the losers should just shut up and let the winners say whatever they want, write their history, regardless of the truth of the matter?

I'm not defending the south, but I'm also not going to say that the north was truthful in their depiction of the southern motives for the war.

The losers lost, and the losers refuse to admit they were wrong.

Sux to be losers, don't it? :lol:

Much more at the link.
salon.com ?

Uhhhhh.... yeah... now there's an un-biased source, right?

Oh, and this little gem...

"...the first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867..."

Dumb-asses... Andrew Johnson was President in 1867, finishing-out Abraham Lincoln's second term.

So much for fact-checking.

Much more at the link.
salon.com ?

"...the first federal agency devoted to education was authorized by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1867..."

Dumb-asses... Andrew Johnson was President in 1867, finishing-out Abraham Lincoln's second term.

LMAO

The losers lost, and the losers refuse to admit they were wrong.

Sux to be losers, don't it? :lol:

Hey Jake. I was in Salt Lake recently and ate at a restaurant called Pacific Seas on Redwood around the corner from Sapp Brothers...it was fantastic.

Google Maps
East side of the street, just above Paxton. I have never tried it. When I am on the west side, I will normally go up to Red Iguana on west North Temple. I will try it out. Thanks.

Much more at the link.

Did it occur to you to try to read the other side before you ran with this article? In point of fact, the article is loaded with errors, distortions, and omissions.

Compare that article to this one:

Southern Side of the Civil War

Much more at the link.
salon.com ?

He got the president wrong, but he was right about the date.

Here is an in depth report from Infowars...MUST READ!!!!

Obama And Hillary Both Had No Problem Using Confederate Flag During Presidential Campaigns Alex Jones Infowars There s a war on for your mind

Did I mention it was from Infowars? You should definitely believe every word of it, just like Salon...no bias at all.

Are you a complete idiot OP, or do you just play one on the internet?

Alex Jones? Really? What a load of bullshit.

The light dawns, the sarcasm may have gone right over your head, but the message wasn't lost.

Insert *Salon* in place of *Alex Jones* and you will have made TWO true statements today...and after reading your posts, I imagine that is likely a record.

Forum List

Back