The right to vote

A test before you get the right to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters
They really don't balk at showing ID. They just balk at the rules that declare what is and what isn't a valid ID.

Wanna talk about college students who can't vote, even though their college ID has their picture?

They really don't balk at showing ID. They just balk at the rules that declare what is and what isn't a valid ID.

Wanna talk about college students who can't vote, even though their college ID has their picture?

ID seems so 20th century.

There must be some other system, where people can register online, or go to some office somewhere, register and be given a password or something so they can then type something in at the polling office that brings their picture up so people can see.

Most States do not consider out of State college students as legal residents so they have to vote in their home State.

Most States do not consider out of State college students as legal residents so they have to vote in their home State.

So, we question them as well?

Only problem with that one is that not everyone drives, so not everyone has a driver's license, and even if you went to get one, they generally cost you 50 plus dollars, and not everyone has that in their pockets.

State issued ID's, while they cost less (around 30 bucks), again, not everyone has the ability to go to the places where they can be issued, nor do they have the cash to get one, because the money is going for stuff like rent, utilities, food, etc.

Most people who make minimum wage live paycheck to paycheck.

Me? I think that you should be able to walk up with your SSN card, license, college ID, or whatever you've got that says who you are.

Virtually every single place that has passed a voter ID law made a voter ID that was obtainable for free. This is a basic requirement for a voter ID law considering that anything other than free can be considered a poll tax.

That really destroys the VAST majority of arguments against voter ID.

My son just got a state-issued ID. It cost $12. Not exactly gonna break the bank; do NOT whine to me about how that's too much to handle, considering it's a one-time fee the first time you get it and $4 for a replacement after that, and considering that we all know you have to have one to conduct the daily business of being an adult.

Irrelevant. It is a fact that you cannot charge for access to the polls whether or not that charge is 10 bucks or 1 cent. That is why almost all voter ID laws come with a free voter ID should you wish to have one. All voter ID laws should have that provision in them as a bare minimum. If you want to see such a law removed by the courts, the fastest way to do so is to not include a free ID.

A valid photo ID is one that complies with the REAL ID act that was passed by Congress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act#Analysis

"In order for their licenses to be accepted for federal purposes, all people born after December 1, 1964, will be required to have Real-ID–compliant cards by December 1, 2014. Additionally, in order to be accepted for federal purposes, people born before December 1, 1964, will be required to have Real-ID–compliant cards by December 1, 2017."

Last edited:
Virtually every single place that has passed a voter ID law made a voter ID that was obtainable for free. This is a basic requirement for a voter ID law considering that anything other than free can be considered a poll tax.

That really destroys the VAST majority of arguments against voter ID.

My son just got a state-issued ID. It cost $12. Not exactly gonna break the bank; do NOT whine to me about how that's too much to handle, considering it's a one-time fee the first time you get it and $4 for a replacement after that, and considering that we all know you have to have one to conduct the daily business of being an adult.

Irrelevant. It is a fact that you cannot charge for access to the polls whether or not that charge is 10 bucks or 1 cent. That is why almost all voter ID laws come with a free voter ID should you wish to have one. All voter ID laws should have that provision in them as a bare minimum. If you want to see such a law removed by the courts, the fastest way to do so is to not include a free ID.

I actually agree here. If a person (for whatever reason) DOESN'T have a state issued ID - such as a drivers license - they should be provided a state issued ID card for no charge. (1) it is NOT a drivers license and (2) will properly identify a persons legal status. In most every state I have ever been in, they are free. One of the prime reasons so many people are against states giving driver's license's to wetbacks is that they will then parlay that into voting. So - seeing as how Kalifornia is rapidly approving drivers license's for illegals - that sort of puts the "Kabash" on the idea of Drivers license's for Voting ID.

Having said that - it is up to the particular state to insure that they require enough documentation to actually PROVE who the individual is - at the very least - a valid Birth Certificate showing that they are Americans.

I actually agree here. If a person (for whatever reason) DOESN'T have a state issued ID - such as a drivers license - they should be provided a state issued ID card for no charge. (1) it is NOT a drivers license and (2) will properly identify a persons legal status. In most every state I have ever been in, they are free. One of the prime reasons so many people are against states giving driver's license's to wetbacks is that they will then parlay that into voting. So - seeing as how Kalifornia is rapidly approving drivers license's for illegals - that sort of puts the "Kabash" on the idea of Drivers license's for Voting ID.

Having said that - it is up to the particular state to insure that they require enough documentation to actually PROVE who the individual is - at the very least - a valid Birth Certificate showing that they are Americans.

The Supreme Court made it clear that voter-ID laws need to provide free photo ID. Additionally, the free ID needs to be provided in a reasonable fashion that tries to minimize voter disenfranchisement from difficulty getting the ID.

Also, proof of citizenship is needed to register to vote. The photo-ID is used to match up voter with the voter registration.

Last edited:

True.

No one takes issue with providing ID, a paycheck stub, utility bill, or a document mailed from a government agency are all perfectly appropriate.

True.

No one takes issue with providing ID, a paycheck stub, utility bill, or a document mailed from a government agency are all perfectly appropriate.

:lol: It's pretty obvious why they don't. :lol:

So many times we see a political party elected because way too many people believe the lies they spout without the slightest thought.
We see wars and misery because people blindly accept what they're told as fact, without the slightest interest in seeing what's really going on.

This in mind, I suggest an IQ test before you have the right to vote.
Anyone not at least 5 points above average should not have that right.
After the IQ test, a test on political matters and world events.

If you can't understand the politics, you should not have a say in what happens.

Do you agree?
. A man should have a say in who governs him, so I can't go along with your testing. However, I do think you should be paying taxes in order to vote. Too many people out there voting themselves freebies and they don't pay taxes.

Last edited:
How about a test that shows you have basic working knowledge of your government, The Constitution? Where your voting rights come from in the first place?

Well that excludes you and a majority of people who think like you. Voting is a basic right that you don't need to prove anything in order to have.
You are anti american.

How about a test that shows you have basic working knowledge of your government, The Constitution? Where your voting rights come from in the first place?

Well that excludes you and a majority of people who think like you. Voting is a basic right that you don't need to prove anything in order to have.
You are anti american.

Pointless troll post

Did you observe my FIRST post in this thread? As a matter of course? You didn't, thus your question. Go back and look. And don't tell me it isn't important for people to know history.

How would a test educate anyone? The test would be public and standardized and ten minutes after it was published there would be a phone ap to give the correct answers as in (ABBCDDAABCA). You underestimate people's ingenuity in being lazy. You want smarter voters? Support education that includes critical thinking even if it makes some kids see the treasured beliefs of their parents as empty ideological crap.
Try again. A test would show if a person is worthy to vote showing they had knowledge of their system of government. Asd to the rest of your post? Gobbledygook.
Maybe we should test after reading this crap. This way you loose your right to vote

You are anti american.

Pointless troll post

Hardly..Voting is a basic right. Restricting voting in any sense is anti freedom.

This idea of a test is only coming from power hungry tyrants. .you want control.

You are anti american.

Pointless troll post

Hardly..Voting is a basic right. Restricting voting in any sense is anti freedom.

This idea of a test is only coming from power hungry tyrants. .you want control.

I'm certainly not anti american and I would have no problem with a basic quiz. I am anti idiocy.

Other voters impact other Americans with their vote so I see no problem with making sure the vote is exercised responsibly.

I'm certainly not anti american and I would have no problem with a basic quiz. I am anti idiocy.

Other voters impact other Americans with their vote so I see no problem with making sure the vote is exercised responsibly.

Allow people to stop people, and they will make ways to stop people.

Education is the answer, so people can have the skills to be able to make decisions for themselves.

Pointless troll post

Then you and others should have no problem with the idea that we can infringe on your right to own a gun.

Forum List

Back