The Right to Be

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"What is most natural becomes the most problematic. Do I have the right to be? Is being in the world not taking the place of someone?" Emmanuel Levinas

I often ask pro life people why it is they don't have more children? How is it that this month they prevented another human from existing? Obviously I get puzzled faces and the religious person falls back on the excuse that only conception forms a human. Of course that isn't medically true as the process from conception to person is fraught with other complexities and many conceptions end naturally. You could then ask since this is fact, where do these conceptions grow up and don't they have it kinda easy if there is a personal God looking over us? Of course the conception would miss the turmoil of human existence in all it ups and downs. Each person can judge that experience, but a hard look at the world, at the news daily may lead to....

So anyway when I came upon this article in the Stone, I thought of my own piece asking a similar question and wondered again how fragile and miraculous the fact that I exist at all. Soon, though, I will cease to be.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/05/do-i-have-the-right-to-be/

My piece is here. http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/50677-life-chance-eternity.html

"Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present." Ludwig Wittgenstein

One of my favorite philosophers and a big influence on my thinking. Check out 'Reasons and Persons sometime, but beware it is deep jump. Interesting piece below.

"What makes me the same person throughout my life, and a different person from you? And what is the importance of these facts?

I believe that most of us have false beliefs about our own nature, and our identity over time, and that, when we see the truth, we ought to change some of our beliefs about what we have reason to do."

How to Be Good - The New Yorker

"An earthworm’s brain is more complicated than a lifeless galaxy." Derek Parfit

Forum List

Back