The right side of atheism

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.​

You are not Conservative, probably a RINO, Blue Dog or something else. All True Conservatives are church-going Bible-reading Christians, many of those were born again.The Holy Bible is the Foundation of Conservatism, period.​

There are many Ayn Rand-ian types out there who would presumably describe themselves as conservative. Many of them are atheists, as Rand's Objectivist ethical framework is explicitly atheistic, relying on the assumption that death is the end of existence as one of its intellectual pillars (as well as the notion that a hypothetical immortal, indestructible godlike being could have no values, no interests, and no goals and thus could not be the source of the moral universe).​

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.​

You are not Conservative, probably a RINO, Blue Dog or something else. All True Conservatives are church-going Bible-reading Christians, many of those were born again.The Holy Bible is the Foundation of Conservatism, period.​

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

The religious right is a bunch of bible thumping tools.

Conservatives look at the Constitution for how the country should be run.

period.​

A man`s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Albert Einstein

The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on.

Frank Zappa

[
There are many Ayn Rand-ian types out there who would presumably describe themselves as conservative. Many of them are atheists, as Rand's Objectivist ethical framework is explicitly atheistic, relying on the assumption that death is the end of existence as one of its intellectual pillars (as well as the notion that a hypothetical immortal, indestructible godlike being could have no values, no interests, and no goals and thus could not be the source of the moral universe).

I am one of those Rand-ian types, although I'm not atheistic. My view of God is that it is most likely impersonal and unbiased, but that we assign personal and biased traits to it because we desire that to be so.

The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on.

Frank Zappa

The essence of Christianity is in the NT. Zappa was wrong. ;)

A man`s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Albert Einstein

The religious impulse, sympathy, and social values are intricately tied to each other.

The right side of atheism​

I am a rare person. My political views tend to be extremely right-wing and I am atheist.

In my past, I used to be more militant about being anti-god and anti-religion and anti-spiritual. I no longer take that position. I see atheists on this board (and other boards) that seem to want to do nothing more than try to ridicule people for their religious beliefs. Often times, it takes the guise of blaming current people for the atrocities of past religious leaders. That is a false stance to take. Nobody alive today took part in the crusades. Nobody alive today rode with Mohammed and carried a sword for him. The atrocities of the past belong to those of the past.

I look at my friends that carry religion as a part of their life. Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Wiccans, Hindus, etc. All of them, with no exceptions, use their religion as a guide towards being a better person. They all strive to live up to the positive influences their religion has upon them. I see none that seek out hate or evil within their religious beliefs. None that justify evil with religion. I may disagree with some of their stances that are based upon their religion, but I see so many more stances based upon their religion that is positive and for the betterment of themselves, their community and mankind. If god (or religion) is the reason for them to take positive action in their life, then I find no problem with that simply because I don’t believe in their god. If belief in their god, their religion or their spirituality is what makes them a better person, who am I to argue or disparage that? I say more power to them.

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.

I was happy to see you not use the word "crutch" in place of 'guide'
:cool:

Religion should be a personal thing, not public. Religious views and political leanings don't have to reflect each other. Not all Christians are conservative, and not all Liberals are athiests. My hope is to one day have a true seperation of state and religion. My problem with religion, any religion, is that they try to pass laws based on their specific moral code and the system wasn't designed that way.

Believe it not, according to the Bible, Church and State will be a MAJOR issue in the last days, in the world in general and in this country playing a particular role in the controversy. BTW, this country came into existense because of that battle, Church and State. The pilgrims were running away from persucution of the Church in Europe and wanted their own country with their own laws NOT based on Religious beliefs. That's why it's there in the first place. I would imagine very few, if any, other countries have such laws written into place. Or at least began with such laws as you have here in the USA. Even the ones that certain people typically refer to as heathen nations. Those same "heathen nations" usually have or had laws that were based on some religion.

Hint: We're in the last days.

What are you, retarded? The Pilgrims came here looking for laws not based on religious beliefs? In what Bizarro universe was this? The Pilgrims came here looking to create laws based on THEIR religion, as opposed to other religions or no religion, lamebrain. They were religious fanatics, and would have been utterly horrified at the idea of a secular society and secular laws.

Religion should be a personal thing, not public. Religious views and political leanings don't have to reflect each other. Not all Christians are conservative, and not all Liberals are athiests. My hope is to one day have a true seperation of state and religion. My problem with religion, any religion, is that they try to pass laws based on their specific moral code and the system wasn't designed that way.

In this country we have 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'. This means I support your right to be offended by the sight of a crucifix or some other religious symbol. Don't like public displays of religion, don't look.

It always amazes me how many atheists celebrate Christmas though. Always makes me laugh

The same could be said of Christians given that Christmas was formerly a pagan festival known as Saturnalia. :eusa_whistle:

No, it wasn't. Would it shock you to know that more than one holiday can exist at the same time of year without being the same holiday? Christmas has been a celebration of Christ's birth since its creation by Pope Julius I in the 4th century. It didn't exist before that. The only relation it has to the Roman festival of Saturnalia is that Pope Julius I deliberately set its date (because the actual birthdate of Christ is unknown) in order to replace and abolish any residual celebration of Saturnalia, or winter solstice festivals, for that matter. Replacing something is not the same as having been that something, understand?

Both of you bring up law, and that is a valid and important point.
In some situations it is easy to claim the point of the law was based upon religious beliefs, in other situations, not so easy.
The US is primarily christian by faith -- Jesus turned water into wine -- Some places don't allow wine to be sold on Sunday -- is that a religious based law?

yes it is a religious based law. Not sure of the real story but it has something to do with the women folk not wanting their husbands drunk before church.

Those darn Catholic women didn't want their husbands hitting the wine before the Eucharist.

The reason behind this particular blue law actually depends on where you are. Some places enacted it simply because of the Fourth Commandment: Remember the Sabbath, to keep it holy. Many others, though, enacted this and other blue laws against commerce on Sundays in order to protect Christian business owners from competition on their Sabbath.

Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa was a brilliant musician, and he makes a humorous point. Why any one would find it threatening surprises me. There is no right or wrong in opinion. There is just opinion. Zappa offers his, you offer yours. Frank Zappa was a very spiritual man. I don't think you understand him at all.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that I don't understand your view either.

Last edited:
In this country we have 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'. This means I support your right to be offended by the sight of a crucifix or some other religious symbol. Don't like public displays of religion, don't look.

It always amazes me how many atheists celebrate Christmas though. Always makes me laugh

The same could be said of Christians given that Christmas was formerly a pagan festival known as Saturnalia. :eusa_whistle:

No, it wasn't. Would it shock you to know that more than one holiday can exist at the same time of year without being the same holiday? Christmas has been a celebration of Christ's birth since its creation by Pope Julius I in the 4th century. It didn't exist before that. The only relation it has to the Roman festival of Saturnalia is that Pope Julius I deliberately set its date (because the actual birthdate of Christ is unknown) in order to replace and abolish any residual celebration of Saturnalia, or winter solstice festivals, for that matter. Replacing something is not the same as having been that something, understand?

Well there seems to be a difference of opinion. That might be how the christians see it as working, but the pagans see it much different. Maybe it was because of the chritian persecution of the pagans that gives them a different opinion. When a large group of people try to wipe you out if you don't convert, you tend to think differently.
From our point of view it goes like this. As the Christians expanded their empire they encountered a large Pagan population and in their zeal to convert them they tried to completely destroy their culture. They failed. Not only did the Christians place all of their holidays on pagan festival days in hopes of assimulation into christianity, they did many other things. One of these was the placement of churches and monastaries on Pagan holy sites, that Pagans would later be forced to worship in. Not only would they be forced into worship, they were forced to build the church as well. If you go to Europe and look at the oldest churches you will see pagan symbols and mythological creatures in the stained glass. The Pagans put them in there so they could follow christian law (to save their lives) yet follow their own faith and worship in those buildings.

I'm sure you aren't taught that in Christian schools, I know, I had 12 years of Catholic schooling. History according to the Catholic Church and Christians in general are usually two totaly different things. There is what actually happened and there is the Christian interpetation of what happened. The latter usually makes the Christians look as good as possible and this is what they stick with.

Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa was a brilliant musician, and he makes a humorous point. Why any one would find it threatening surprises me. There is no right or wrong in opinion. There is just opinion. Zappa offers his, you offer yours. Frank Zappa was a very spiritual man. I don't think you understand him at all.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that I don't understand your view either.
Sky Dancer,
All the Adam and Eve stuff is OT, long before Christ walked the earth and Christianity developed, NT.
I think that was Lizzie's point (Lizzie can correct me if I am wrong).

The right side of atheism​

I am a rare person. My political views tend to be extremely right-wing and I am atheist.

In my past, I used to be more militant about being anti-god and anti-religion and anti-spiritual. I no longer take that position. I see atheists on this board (and other boards) that seem to want to do nothing more than try to ridicule people for their religious beliefs. Often times, it takes the guise of blaming current people for the atrocities of past religious leaders. That is a false stance to take. Nobody alive today took part in the crusades. Nobody alive today rode with Mohammed and carried a sword for him. The atrocities of the past belong to those of the past.

I look at my friends that carry religion as a part of their life. Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Wiccans, Hindus, etc. All of them, with no exceptions, use their religion as a guide towards being a better person. They all strive to live up to the positive influences their religion has upon them. I see none that seek out hate or evil within their religious beliefs. None that justify evil with religion. I may disagree with some of their stances that are based upon their religion, but I see so many more stances based upon their religion that is positive and for the betterment of themselves, their community and mankind. If god (or religion) is the reason for them to take positive action in their life, then I find no problem with that simply because I don’t believe in their god. If belief in their god, their religion or their spirituality is what makes them a better person, who am I to argue or disparage that? I say more power to them.

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.

I was happy to see you not use the word "crutch" in place of 'guide'
:cool:
For some it may be a crutch, most religious folk that I know use their religion more like a map and compass (21st century upgrade -- GPS), it really does help guide them from where they are to where they want to be. And the good ones don't blame the map if they occasionally get lost along the way. They refer back to it and adjust their course accordingly.

Frank Zappa

Who's threatened? :confused:

Sky Dancer,
All the Adam and Eve stuff is OT, long before Christ walked the earth and Christianity developed, NT.
I think that was Lizzie's point (Lizzie can correct me if I am wrong).

Yes, that was my point. The Garden of Eden is largely metaphorical for man's *fall* from blissful ignorance into the seeking of knowledge. The essence of Christianity is in the message of one path to enlightenment/ salvation, and has nothing to do with the origins of mankind's search.

Forum List

Back