The right side of atheism

I'm not an athiest, and never have been. However, religion and those of a religious bent, like to try and pass laws that reflect their specific religious view. the issues that they find important trample all over personal freedom and choice. Roe Vs Wade to name one and what happened to Terri Schivo should be an example of religious / government invasion of privacy to name another. Here in Michigan we can't buy alcohol on Sunday before noon, why??? some religious person thought it would be a good idea to foist their beliefs on everyone. Gay marriage should not be an issue but it is. None of these issues qualify as "Freedom of Religion". Did Terri Schivos religious views get considered? did the religious rights of the Lady getting an abortion get considered? How about the religious views of the Homosexual get considered? No to all of them. These are all examples of christians trying to get everyone in this country to live by christian values weather they are christian or not. This is wrong on every level.

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.​

You are not Conservative, probably a RINO, Blue Dog or something else. All True Conservatives are church-going Bible-reading Christians, many of those were born again.The Holy Bible is the Foundation of Conservatism, period.​

Are you certifibly insane? If you actually believe that you should be.:cuckoo:

Religion should be a personal thing, not public. Religious views and political leanings don't have to reflect each other. Not all Christians are conservative, and not all Liberals are athiests. My hope is to one day have a true seperation of state and religion. My problem with religion, any religion, is that they try to pass laws based on their specific moral code and the system wasn't designed that way.

In this country we have 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'. This means I support your right to be offended by the sight of a crucifix or some other religious symbol. Don't like public displays of religion, don't look.

It always amazes me how many atheists celebrate Christmas though. Always makes me laugh.

I would posit that 'freedom from religion' is a subset of 'freedom of religion'. Granted, that needs to be approached from a personal point of view. I'm not going to get upset by a religious symbol or harmless religious act.
If a person or community wants to display their religion, my freedom from religion (personal choice) does not trump their freedom of religion. This time of year is a perfect example. I will be told "Merry Christmas" hundreds of times over the next month, I don't find that offensive.

I am conservative, I am atheist, and that is my point of view.​

You are not Conservative, probably a RINO, Blue Dog or something else. All True Conservatives are church-going Bible-reading Christians, many of those were born again.The Holy Bible is the Foundation of Conservatism, period.​

You forgot the sarcasm smiley at the end of your statement. :)

Religion should be a personal thing, not public. Religious views and political leanings don't have to reflect each other. Not all Christians are conservative, and not all Liberals are athiests. My hope is to one day have a true seperation of state and religion. My problem with religion, any religion, is that they try to pass laws based on their specific moral code and the system wasn't designed that way.

In this country we have 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'. This means I support your right to be offended by the sight of a crucifix or some other religious symbol. Don't like public displays of religion, don't look.

It always amazes me how many atheists celebrate Christmas though. Always makes me laugh.

Christmas doesn't have much to do with christianity anymore, not that I see at least.

Spending time with family, exchanging presents, Santa Claus, reindeer, stockings, christmas tree and decorations, etc. None of those things are solely christian things.

Besides December 25th was a holiday before christianity came to be.

Doesn't actually matter what it was before - or what it means to you - to Christians it is a religious festival. Absolutely no need to bankrupt yourselves turning kids into spoiled brats.

Politically, I draw the line at laws. Let me buy and sell whatever I want - especially on Sundays, eat, drink & smoke what I want in the privacy of my own home, and sleep with whomever I choose in the privacy of my own bedroom and and we're good. Believe whatever you want to about earths origins and the destiny of mankind.

I'm not an athiest, and never have been. However, religion and those of a religious bent, like to try and pass laws that reflect their specific religious view. the issues that they find important trample all over personal freedom and choice. Roe Vs Wade to name one and what happened to Terri Schivo should be an example of religious / government invasion of privacy to name another. Here in Michigan we can't buy alcohol on Sunday before noon, why??? some religious person thought it would be a good idea to foist their beliefs on everyone. Gay marriage should not be an issue but it is. None of these issues qualify as "Freedom of Religion". Did Terri Schivos religious views get considered? did the religious rights of the Lady getting an abortion get considered? How about the religious views of the Homosexual get considered? No to all of them. These are all examples of christians trying to get everyone in this country to live by christian values weather they are christian or not. This is wrong on every level.

Both of you bring up law, and that is a valid and important point.
In some situations it is easy to claim the point of the law was based upon religious beliefs, in other situations, not so easy.
The US is primarily christian by faith -- Jesus turned water into wine -- Some places don't allow wine to be sold on Sunday -- is that a religious based law?

There are also those on the other side that are also extreme. Like the people trying to remove "under God" from the pledge of allegeance. Trying to get rid of christmas is unattainable, as well as the removal of religious pictures and symbols. This is all a waste of time and money, these people should really find something else to occupy their time.

Politically, I draw the line at laws. Let me buy and sell whatever I want - especially on Sundays, eat, drink & smoke what I want in the privacy of my own home, and sleep with whomever I choose in the privacy of my own bedroom and and we're good. Believe whatever you want to about earths origins and the destiny of mankind.

In some situations it is easy to claim the point of the law was based upon religious beliefs, in other situations, not so easy.
The US is primarily christian by faith -- Jesus turned water into wine -- Some places don't allow wine to be sold on Sunday -- is that a religious based law?

yes it is a religious based law. Not sure of the real story but it has something to do with the women folk not wanting their husbands drunk before church.

Only religious people who do anything to harass, ridicule, or anything against others for the reason of religion or because they don't agree deserve to get shit.

I believe that people who have different beliefs should be entitled to them.

As for Islam.... I'm STILL going to point out their beliefs and crimes. Believe in Islam and abide by the laws of US? Have a cookie! You are safe.
I'm no fan of Islam (or any religion), but your post seems to be self-contradictory.

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
You got me. :eek:

meh. Atleast I'm not a Libral. xD

yes it is a religious based law. Not sure of the real story but it has something to do with the women folk not wanting their husbands drunk before church.

Those darn Catholic women didn't want their husbands hitting the wine before the Eucharist.

Only religious people who do anything to harass, ridicule, or anything against others for the reason of religion or because they don't agree deserve to get shit.

I believe that people who have different beliefs should be entitled to them.

As for Islam.... I'm STILL going to point out their beliefs and crimes. Believe in Islam and abide by the laws of US? Have a cookie! You are safe.
I'm no fan of Islam (or any religion), but your post seems to be self-contradictory.

You got me. :eek:

meh. Atleast I'm not a Libral. xD

I'm sly like that. :)

You are not Conservative, probably a RINO, Blue Dog or something else. All True Conservatives are church-going Bible-reading Christians, many of those were born again.The Holy Bible is the Foundation of Conservatism, period

There is no such thing as a true conservative, hasn’t been for over forty years. Indeed, one of the factors which lead to the end of true conservatism was the bane of Christian fundamentalism.

You got me.

meh. Atleast I'm not a Libral. XD

Yes, and I’m sure liberals are glad of it accordingly.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence.

Bertrand Russell

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

Unknown

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

Gene Roddenberry

Forum List

Back