The Religion of Atheism

I have no hositlity towards any religion unless they have hostility towards me.

If they try and force their religion on me thru government or other avenues I will fight back.

I consider real christians to be fine folk and am proud to call several of them my friends.
I however hold only contempt for those who use religion for their own purposes and to justify their agendas.

I do not believe in any god or afterlife, not do I belong to any association that holds similar beliefs.

I'm agnostic and I don't like any organized religion or non-religion. I don't care for what some athiests are doing to remove religious symbols, etc. from public view. I was raised in the Christian faith so I have some connection to it. I believe that Jesus was a mortal man and believe in many of his teachings. The rest of religion (any religion) is man made to control the masses and for a certain few to have power. Today religions on the average are more tolerant and civilized (with some obvious exceptions) but I do not like the stance of the Catholic church trying to say that Obama's mandate for women's birth control and abortion coverage is an assault against religious freedom. Religious people are still free to practice or not practice birth control or have abortions. They shouldn't impose what they believe on others who don't believe the way they do. That's where I draw the line.

I think what I find intriguing about this thread is why it's so important, for some, to classify atheism as a religion. What's the motivation?

Good question?
Pack mentality? I belong to a group so everyone has to? Which could be sourced from binary absolutist thinking either this or that?
Inability to comprehend someone acting as an individual and not part of a group?

I do think there is an agenda behind it, to a degree. It's definitely part of the ID movement. They're hoping to prevent darwinism from being taught by classifying it as atheist "dogma" and, therefore (in the view they're promoting) a religious teaching.

I know devout religious people who are deeply offended by the effort to equate atheism with their religious beliefs. Religious beliefs are characterized by their transcendent nature, which is not at all present in the mundane doubts of the atheist.

I think what I find intriguing about this thread is why it's so important, for some, to classify atheism as a religion. What's the motivation?

Good question?
Pack mentality? I belong to a group so everyone has to? Which could be sourced from binary absolutist thinking either this or that?
Inability to comprehend someone acting as an individual and not part of a group?

I do think there is an agenda behind it, to a degree. It's definitely part of the ID movement. They're hoping to prevent darwinism from being taught by classifying it as atheist "dogma" and, therefore (in the view they're promoting) a religious teaching.

I know devout religious people who are deeply offended by the effort to equate atheism with their religious beliefs. Religious beliefs are characterized by their transcendent nature, which is not at all present in the mundane doubts of the atheist.

Further, and more broadly, I think it's part of an effort to push religion into government in general. By classifying everything non-religious as "just another kind of" religious they can nullify the entire separation of church and state issue.

Of course atheism is a religion. That's why atheists want atheist chaplains in the military.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/us/27atheists.html?pagewanted=all

It's why atheists want and got a religious temple.

Atheist Temple: Nonbelievers To Get Place Of 'Worship' In UK

Atheists have followed non-religion right around the circle and become a religion.

those people are nutz.
Or perhaps afraid to stand for their views on their won?

Pretty crazy to have a place of worship to praise non belief?

An atheist chaplin?
The link in the middle is an author building a temple to attract atheist "worshippers"?

loons

Of course atheism is a religion. That's why atheists want atheist chaplains in the military.

Atheists have followed non-religion right around the circle and become a religion.

Chaplains in the service do more than just hold religious services. They provide valuable counseling to soldiers, are advocates with command and provide a ready ear to talk to

You shouldn't have to believe in god to recieve help

It is actually laying the foundation for a state religion. The state religion of atheism. People who don't follow the state religion cannot hold political office or own businesses. The state religion must be taught in school. All competing religions have to be scrubbed from the public eye. There is to be only the state religion.

Chaplains in the service do more than just hold religious services. They provide valuable counseling to soldiers, are advocates with command and provide a ready ear to talk to

Good point, a councilor would be a better term.

The military does not provide psychological counseling for just that purpose? Sorry, "counseling" is a failed premise.

It is actually laying the foundation for a state religion. The state religion of atheism. People who don't follow the state religion cannot hold political office or own businesses. The state religion must be taught in school. All competing religions have to be scrubbed from the public eye. There is to be only the state religion.

Jesus taught us not to let fear distort reality. Have faith in the lord your god.

The military has plenty of pyschologists and pychiatrists for those who want help from a non relgious source, although to be honest, I would love to see what the hell an atheist chapain looks like.

Atheism is not a religion

It merely looks at the bizarre opinions of existing religions and says.......None of that makes sense

That to me is more agnosticsim. Most of the people you see in the news called atheists are hostile to any religous expression in public, and 100% so if it takes place on public ground.

Think the whole cross thing in San Diego, or the usual "You cant put a manger in the town square" dust-ups.

Jesus taught us not to let fear distort reality. Have faith in the lord your god.

Recognizing reality will help you far more than distorting it.

The whole Chick Fil A controversy was about rejection of state religion and following Christianity. The Mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco intended to punish the company for not following the state religion. One of the attacks on Mitt Romney is that he does not follow the state religion. obama does and he receives a great deal of support from his religious followers.

Case in point. By defining the non-religious as religious - by pretending that omitting religion is, in itself a religion - they can render separation of church and state null and void. Fortunately, most sane people (religious and non-religious) see this as a line of bullshit. It hasn't gained much traction politically.

The military does not provide psychological counseling for just that purpose? Sorry, "counseling" is a failed premise.

Military psychologists do not have doctor-patient confidentiality and it's all part of your official military record. Chaplains do have (some) confidentiality and couselling with them is not official.

Atheism is not a religion

It merely looks at the bizarre opinions of existing religions and says.......None of that makes sense

That to me is more agnosticsim. Most of the people you see in the news called atheists are hostile to any religous expression in public, and 100% so if it takes place on public ground.

Think the whole cross thing in San Diego, or the usual "You cant put a manger in the town square" dust-ups.

Well yes you would see the more agressive atheists in the news.
Duhhh!

Recognizing reality will help you far more than distorting it.

The whole Chick Fil A controversy was about rejection of state religion and following Christianity. The Mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco intended to punish the company for not following the state religion. One of the attacks on Mitt Romney is that he does not follow the state religion. obama does and he receives a great deal of support from his religious followers.

Your reality is distorted. Chick filet rejecting state religion and following christianity?
Pretty wacko stuff there.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.

People like you are the reason why many atheists have little to no regard towards the religious right. Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheism is someone who does NOT believe in any religion, or in any faith and atheists have their own, different ideals. To blame the rest for a few bad apples that aren't even affiliated is quite the act of stupidity.

You went full retard. You NEVER go full retard!

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.
I pray to God that that ruling is true! :D Do you have a link?
Then we Atheists can get the same special tax privileges believers get!!! :woohoo:

Last edited:

I pray to God that that ruling is true! :D Do you have a link?
Then we Atheists can get the same special tax privileges believers get!!! :woohoo:

by number 2 there Republicanism is a religion. The belief that lowering taxes always creates jobs, etc.
Palintology is also a religion.
So is NASCARism, Footballism, Facebookism one of the worlds largest.

So nudism is also a religion? :D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back