The Religion of Atheism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Alter2Ego, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a sexual position.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    When a person takes atheism from neutrality towards religon and makes it hostility towards religion, they become part of the equation.

It is similar to the argument over zero really being a number, or not.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I have no hositlity towards any religion unless they have hostility towards me.

If they try and force their religion on me thru government or other avenues I will fight back.

I consider real christians to be fine folk and am proud to call several of them my friends.
    I however hold only contempt for those who use religion for their own purposes and to justify their agendas.

I do not believe in any god or afterlife, not do I belong to any association that holds similar beliefs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    One would have to belong to or associate with a group who hold similiar beliefs of non belief to make it a religion.

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    The problem comes when someone tries to determine what exactly hostility means.

Mount Soledad cross controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder what your position on this would be?

7. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    Not really. a monastic hermit does not associate with anyone (the hermit thing), and while following the basic tenents of a religon may have their own view of exact beliefs. Is this person religous?

8. Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ALTER2EGO -to- AMY NATION:
    Is that so? Sorry, but that's not what the courts said.

Below is evidence that exposes atheists as hypocrites for insisting they are not religious. This evidence involves the 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling in the case of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, in which a judge recognized Atheism as a religion. Keep your eyes on the words in red.

EVIDENCE FOR THE HYPOCRISY OF ATHEISTS:

Court rules atheism a religion

9. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Of course Atheism or Agnosticism can be ruled as a religion, it is a religious viewpoint; in official statistics in multiple countries Atheism and Agnosticism is counted as a religion. But in terms of organization, it is not a religion; there are no tenets, rules or anything like that telling Atheists how to think or run their lives. Nor do all Agnostics or Atheists do the same things, or view other religions the same way.*

*In fact most Atheists are closet Atheists i.e. they live their lives without telling others that they hold no faith; and of those that admit to their Atheism a far smaller number attend Atheist conventions or engage in funding or supporting secular organizations.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    "Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals said."

Keyword here is "group".

As I said not believeing does not mean you are part of a religion, but you can form a religion by having a group.