The Religion of Atheism

Alter2Ego

Apr 13, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.

Atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a sexual position.

When a person takes atheism from neutrality towards religon and makes it hostility towards religion, they become part of the equation.

It is similar to the argument over zero really being a number, or not.

I have no hositlity towards any religion unless they have hostility towards me.

If they try and force their religion on me thru government or other avenues I will fight back.

I consider real christians to be fine folk and am proud to call several of them my friends.
I however hold only contempt for those who use religion for their own purposes and to justify their agendas.

I do not believe in any god or afterlife, not do I belong to any association that holds similar beliefs.

When a person takes atheism from neutrality towards religon and makes it hostility towards religion, they become part of the equation.

One would have to belong to or associate with a group who hold similiar beliefs of non belief to make it a religion.

I have no hositlity towards any religion unless they have hostility towards me.

If they try and force their religion on me thru government or other avenues I will fight back.

I consider real christians to be fine folk and am proud to call several of them my friends.
I however hold only contempt for those who use religion for their own purposes and to justify their agendas.

I do not believe in any god or afterlife, not do I belong to any association that holds similar beliefs.

The problem comes when someone tries to determine what exactly hostility means.

Mount Soledad cross controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder what your position on this would be?

One would have to belong to or associate with a group who hold similiar beliefs of non belief to make it a religion.

Not really. a monastic hermit does not associate with anyone (the hermit thing), and while following the basic tenents of a religon may have their own view of exact beliefs. Is this person religous?

ALTER2EGO -to- AMY NATION:
Is that so? Sorry, but that's not what the courts said.

Below is evidence that exposes atheists as hypocrites for insisting they are not religious. This evidence involves the 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling in the case of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, in which a judge recognized Atheism as a religion. Keep your eyes on the words in red.

EVIDENCE FOR THE HYPOCRISY OF ATHEISTS:

Court Rules Atheism A Religion
Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group

Published: 08/20/2005 at 1:00 AM

A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate’s rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals said."

The court decided the inmate’s First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court’s ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion."
Court rules atheism a religion

Of course Atheism or Agnosticism can be ruled as a religion, it is a religious viewpoint; in official statistics in multiple countries Atheism and Agnosticism is counted as a religion. But in terms of organization, it is not a religion; there are no tenets, rules or anything like that telling Atheists how to think or run their lives. Nor do all Agnostics or Atheists do the same things, or view other religions the same way.*

*In fact most Atheists are closet Atheists i.e. they live their lives without telling others that they hold no faith; and of those that admit to their Atheism a far smaller number attend Atheist conventions or engage in funding or supporting secular organizations.

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals said."

Keyword here is "group".

As I said not believeing does not mean you are part of a religion, but you can form a religion by having a group.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place.
That is not a common belief among atheists. Some believe it, sure, but most of realize that people can always find some reason to be assholes. Case in point:

For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."
Stalin was not acting under the name or color of "Atheism." His philosophy was Communism. Atheism had nothing to do with his acts, Communism did and that includes displacing Religion in favor of Communism. Pol Pot, same thing.

And Hitler killed way more than 6 million. 6 million Jews, yes, but the Holocaust was not limited to Jews. And his murder of the Jews wasn't Hitler acting on behalf of any religion, or even against Judaism as a religion, but against Jews as an ethnic group.

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths.
Almost right. The problem is people who insist on using force/coercion to stifle other viewpoints and insist that only their views can possibly be correct and want to eliminate all others. Traditionally, religion has been the viewpoint, though Communisim is also used.

Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."
Nope. I'm an atheist, definitely not a secular humanist.

Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.
It is a religious position, equally guaranteed freedom under the 1st ammendment. While it may be convenient in a legal respect to classify it as a religion, that's all it is...a convenience rather than strictly true. Remember, according to the Supreme Court, the tomato is a vegetable, though any botanist will tell you it's a fruit. But legally speaking, for tariffs and duties, it's a vegetable.

Last edited:
I could start a religion about blue eyed people and only blue eyed people could belong to my religion.

So by somes logic if you have blue eyes you belong to my religion.

think a bit folks.

most people aren't hostile to religion. they're hostile when people try to impose religion on them

most people aren't hostile to religion. they're hostile when people try to impose religion on them

Actually the people that are most hostile to a religion are those who belong to a different religion.
Not those who do not believe in a religion.

Actually the people that are most hostile to a religion are those who belong to a different religion.
Not those who do not believe in a religion.

true. i'm pretty sure it wasn't atheists protesting against a mosque being built in staten island.

Atheism is not a religion

It merely looks at the bizarre opinions of existing religions and says.......None of that makes sense

I think what I find intriguing about this thread is why it's so important, for some, to classify atheism as a religion. What's the motivation?

I think what I find intriguing about this thread is why it's so important, for some, to classify atheism as a religion. What's the motivation?

Good question?
Pack mentality? I belong to a group so everyone has to? Which could be sourced from binary absolutist thinking either this or that?
Inability to comprehend someone acting as an individual and not part of a group?

Forum List

Back