The Real Deal on Brazil

Oh please. Why don't you come on down and bring along some utube videos? Maybe a copy of Deffeyes' book, with some highlighted passages you can read from, thereby minimizing the number of times you mess up all those multi-syllable words? For God's sake, just don't try and ad-lib, you suck when you go off the script the peakers spoon feed you.

LOL. You're such a flailing cauldron of fail at this point.

Keep saying it...then you can parrot yourself while convincing yourself it must be true.

JiggsCasey said:
Don't swallow too hard, denialist parrot. Discerning ears might be listening while you're "presenting."

I present to discerning ears, between which lie functioning neurons. That is a key difference between my audiences and those from whom you derive cutting and pasting material.

JiggsCasey said:
Oops. The International Monetary Fund now? That's gonna leave a mark.

So you think parroting the IMF is good? Secretary of the Interior, Ickes, in 1941 was warning the President we didn't have enough oil to run the war. Wrote an article on it in 1943. "Running Out of Oil". So predicting how this stuff is disappearing was going on before you were born, any reason you suddenly noticed? Poor attention span to go with your failing memory? Straighten out your panties already and give the parroting a break.

JiggsCasey said:
Quick! Ruffle through your Steven Gorelick bible and find that passage on how the IMF is lying. How it's part of the great conspiracy to artificially inflate global oil price. Surely he covered that angle.

Gorelick provides footnotes, the Bible doesn't. You would know this if you had actually read a little of either. And the real price of oil today is about the same as it was in 1864 during the Civil War....you have a problem with oil prices that your great great grand parents were perfectly capable of dealing with, or do we just chalk this up to your bad memory and parroting abilities? As usual?

Keep saying it...then you can parrot yourself while convincing yourself it must be true.

The irony is precious. No one rehashed the same material here, post after post, more than goofy you. And no one works backwards from their conclusions as does you.

I present to discerning ears, between which lie functioning neurons. That is a key difference between my audiences and those from whom you derive cutting and pasting material.

So it'll be a symposium full of abiotic cultists then? I'm sure you'll be applauded. Just as sure as you are that all those super-giant fields will magically fill themselves back up. LOL.

JiggsCasey said:
Oops. The International Monetary Fund now? That's gonna leave a mark.

So you think parroting the IMF is good?

No, pumpkin. I think backing up my claims -- with corroborative assertion from entities and governing bodies far more influential than you or I combined -- is good. Get it yet?

You seem to have a real problem with that debate strategy, you know, sourcing one's claims. Almost threatened by it. So much so that you appear to prefer opinion rant to hard news. Lie to yourself all you like, "industry insider," but your arrogant aversion to backing up claims reflects far more poorly on you, and not at all on me.

kthxbai!

Secretary of the Interior, Ickes, in 1941 was warning the President we didn't have enough oil to run the war. Wrote an article on it in 1943. "Running Out of Oil". So predicting how this stuff is disappearing was going on before you were born, any reason you suddenly noticed? Poor attention span to go with your failing memory? Straighten out your panties already and give the parroting a break.

Your apples to oranges allegory of 70 years ago does not refute the modern day verdict. Oops, sorry. I know that twists your bra and all, but this latest example of fail 70 years ago is not remotely as significant. This is assuming Ickes was even claiming overall peak in the first place. Perhaps he was just referring to war restraints, or short term production roadblocks.

Meanwhile, the IMF admitting today "global supply constraints" and "no return to supply growth" and "nations should brace themselves" because of it. ... Yeah, kind of a big deal.

Keep creating straw men, and arguing with them. It's all you have at this point.

that, and probably a whole gang of bad investments that you're trying to rationalize to yourself. LOL

JiggsCasey said:
Quick! Ruffle through your Steven Gorelick bible and find that passage on how the IMF is lying. How it's part of the great conspiracy to artificially inflate global oil price. Surely he covered that angle.

Gorelick provides footnotes, the Bible doesn't. You would know this if you had actually read a little of either. And the real price of oil today is about the same as it was in 1864 during the Civil War....you have a problem with oil prices that your great great grand parents were perfectly capable of dealing with, or do we just chalk this up to your bad memory and parroting abilities? As usual?

Gorelick's book gets laughed at at ToD and ASPO, and probably the IEA. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, sunshine. It's now clear that we have identified the lone source for all your pablum, and that your talking points come from this turd of a book.

His book does not attempt to be scientific, offers little-to-no research of his own, and relies on logical fallacies like this beauty:

"The world has never run out of any significant globally traded, non-renewable Earth resource."​

Your hero wrote the...

"Worst Book on Oil Crisis Written Yet "

A scientist should dig deep and try to come up with a model or theory that would confirm or rebut the empirical evidence. You just don't rely on tired worn-out assertions (the world has never run out of a resource, predictions have not come true, etc) from the cornucopian right, put them in a book and consider this an advancement of knowledge.

Last edited:
You have been misinformed, Boed.

The Export-Import Bank approved loans to the Brazilian oil company, Petróleo Brasileiro S.A to buy U.S. made equipment and services.

Obama had nothing to do with it.

ABSOLUTELY correct, the deal was with the Bank....made by Bush appointees, not even by Obama appointees...

we have had a thread on this already.

Where did the Bush admin approve the loans, the only thing I ever saw was they approved the receipt of conceptual plans for drilling:

Rio de Janeiro, December 11, 2006). - PETRÓLEO BRASILEIRO S/A - PETROBRAS, [Bovespa: PETR3/PETR4, NYSE: PBR/PBRA, Latibex: XPBR/XPBRA, BCBA: APBR/APBRA], a Brazilian international energy company, announces that, its Conceptual Plan for the subsea development of Cascade and Chinook fields has received approval from the United States Minerals Management Service (MMS). It is the first approval at this level of a plan that includes the deployment of a Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) facility in the Gulf of Mexico. MMS is an agency of the United States Government that manages the natural gas, oil and other mineral resources on the outer continental shelf (OCS). [Petrobras's Investor Relations Department, 12/11/06]

Beck, Limbaugh Renew Smear That Obama Is Undermining U.S. With Petrobras Drilling Permits | Media Matters for America

NEW ORLEANS - The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) today provided the final approval necessary for Petrobras America, Inc. to begin oil and natural gas production at its Cascade-Chinook project using a Floating Production Storage Offloading (FPSO) facility. This will be the first time this technology is used in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. BOEMRE approved the project's Production Safety System permit and Supplemental Deepwater Operating Plan (DWOP), to ensure that stringent safety regulations were met. The FPSO has a production capacity of 80,000 barrels of oil per day and 16 million cubic feet of natural gas per day. With the completion of this final regulatory step, production from this facility is expected to begin in the near future. [BOEMRE, 3/17/11]

Beck, Limbaugh Renew Smear That Obama Is Undermining U.S. With Petrobras Drilling Permits | Media Matters for America

Petrobras' Cascade-Chinook Project - Walker Ridge 206 and 469

Petrobras submitted the initial DOCD on November 28, 2007. The proposed project uses an FPSO to store oil, with any natural gas processed transported to shore by pipeline. Petrobras' FPSO is equipped with a disconnectable turret so that in the event of a hurricane or tropical storm, the facility can disconnect from the turret and move off location until the storm has passed.

In April of 2008, the then-MMS approved Petrobras' Development Operations Coordination Document (DOCD) for the project after a thorough environmental and technical review. The analysis of the site-specific EIS resulted in the then-MMS issuing a "Finding of No Significant Impact," allowing the project to continue the development process. (See Minerals Management Service Approves Development Plans for First Use of Floating Production Storage Offloading Facility in Gulf of Mexico )

In August of 2009, then-MMS approved Petrobras' initial Deepwater Operating Plan.

In March of 2011, BOEMRE approved the Supplemental DWOP and Production Safety System permit allowing Petrobras to begin production at Cascade-Chinook from the FPSO, B.W. Pioneer. (See Press Release) [BOEMRE, accessed 3/18/11]

Gorelick's book gets laughed at at ToD and ASPO, and probably the IEA.

Well, when the bloggers at TOD write one as well referenced, I guess I will judge their opinion based on that. Until then, they aren't any more qualified than our local parrot to comment I imagine. ASPO is different of course....the Godfather and Founder of ASPO declared peak oil in 1990 or so....do you still think that qualifies them as experts on the topic? How did peak oil in 1990 go for you?

And you don't really want to quote WHT's opinion on the book, the poor guy doesn't know what oil is any better than you do.

Well, when the bloggers at TOD write one as well referenced, I guess I will judge their opinion based on that. Until then, they aren't any more qualified than our local parrot to comment I imagine. ASPO is different of course....the Godfather and Founder of ASPO declared peak oil in 1990 or so....do you still think that qualifies them as experts on the topic? How did peak oil in 1990 go for you?

And you don't really want to quote WHT's opinion on the book, the poor guy doesn't know what oil is any better than you do.

link to the 1990 claim, or STFU.

Either way, I'd say that made him merely 14 years early.

Your white flag is accepted, btw. Good luck in your "presentation." Breathe, and drink water.

Last edited:
Obama recently took spring break in Brazil, and handed out billions in loans for offshore drilling.

When a thread STARTS OUT with misinformation, (as this one is doing) everything that follows, however logical, is crap.

GIGO, Boed.

I'm sure you're familiar with the term.

link to the 1990 claim, or STFU.

No. Your ignorance of Colins claim, or even the ability to understand what footnotes are for, is not my limitation. It's yours.

My statement is one of fact. Your ignorance of it indicates exactly what I've been saying...you don't even know the history of your OWN religion.

Why does your religion withhold this information from its parrots?

This is a despicable & blatant Anti-American policy. It's a very bizarre policy even for a Lefty Winger. Him and his followers love to sit around whining about American Oil Companies being "Evil" yet apparently they have no problem with Brazilian Oil Companies. That's such a flawed ignorant way of looking at things. We should not be giving Brazil American Tax Dollars so they can drill for Oil. This stuff makes no sense. Meanwhile Gas Prices are skyrocketing. They could reach $5 by Summer. $5 Gas will be catastrophic for the Economy. Man,2012 can't come fast enough. Time for the Dems to go.

This is a despicable & blatant Anti-American policy. It's a very bizarre policy even for a Lefty Winger. Him and his followers love to sit around whining about American Oil Companies being "Evil" yet apparently they have no problem with Brazilian Oil Companies. That's such a flawed ignorant way of looking at things. We should not be giving Brazil American Tax Dollars so they can drill for Oil. This stuff makes no sense. Meanwhile Gas Prices are skyrocketing. They could reach $5 by Summer. $5 Gas will be catastrophic for the Economy. Man,2012 can't come fast enough. Time for the Dems to go.

What is the benefits for the US for helping Brazilian oil companies?:confused:

Pardon my intrusion into this debate but I believe "encouragement" into Brazil's exploring alternate sources of energy should be augmented by production of carbon based fuel to help sustain the transition. In Brazil as here it isn't an all or nothing game. South America is becoming a much needed trading partner with the U S in that they have natural resources and an emerging agricultural line of commodities that we can take advantage of. The fact that they are opposite us in seasons is no small consequence in this bigger picture. I would much rather have and support South American trade than that with China which shares and competes within the same climate. Also China is in competition with us on energy resources. The efforts of Brazil to become energy independent makes them a better bet for non competition in that sector.

Pardon my intrusion into this debate but I believe "encouragement" into Brazil's exploring alternate sources of energy should be augmented by production of carbon based fuel to help sustain the transition. In Brazil as here it isn't an all or nothing game. South America is becoming a much needed trading partner with the U S in that they have natural resources and an emerging agricultural line of commodities that we can take advantage of. The fact that they are opposite us in seasons is no small consequence in this bigger picture. I would much rather have and support South American trade than that with China which shares and competes within the same climate. Also China is in competition with us on energy resources. The efforts of Brazil to become energy independent makes them a better bet for non competition in that sector.

Ok I can see your point, I would like to see us come up with an alternative to Middle Eastern Oil here at home, these gas prices are breaking the back of the average and lower class American.:(

Gotta demonize those bad American Oil Companies but lets give Brazilian Oil Companies $Millions in Taxpayer cash so they can drill for Oil? Yea that makes absolutely no sense at all. This Administration is lost.

Gotta demonize those bad American Oil Companies but lets give Brazilian Oil Companies $Millions in Taxpayer cash so they can drill for Oil? Yea that makes absolutely no sense at all. This Administration is lost.

The major oil companies have done a fine job demonizing themselves. Exxon...BP...colluding with oil speculators to drive up the price of crude and the systematic problems with refining that seems a little too convenient to tap our wallets at the pump.

I don't recall any Brazilian oil company crashing a tanker or trashing the Gulf or manipulating oil prices to rape the American public at the retail level. What I saw was Venezuela offering to subsidize heating oil costs for the poor of our country and Bush preventing that good will effort.

Sorry Collapse... Crocodile tears for the Multinational rapers of the worlds resources and those that depend on them will not float your boat.

No American Tax Dollars should be given to Brazilian Oil Companies to drill for Oil. And no American Tax Dollars should be given to American Oil Companies either. But at least with American Oil Companies,you get some American Jobs out of it. Outsourcing and giving American Tax Dollars for foreign Oil Drilling is not the answer.

No American Tax Dollars should be given to Brazilian Oil Companies to drill for Oil. And no American Tax Dollars should be given to American Oil Companies either. But at least with American Oil Companies,you get some American Jobs out of it. Outsourcing and giving American Tax Dollars for foreign Oil Drilling is not the answer.

I would like to see Obama pledge a few billion dollars to an AMERICAN company that can produce jobs and benefits for us here at home, is that possible or is all the money going to countries that hate us like Pakistan and Iraq?:doubt:

I would like to see Obama pledge a few billion dollars to an AMERICAN company that can produce jobs and benefits for us here at home, is that possible or is all the money going to countries that hate us like Pakistan and Iraq?:doubt:

As much as some would like to attribute God-like powers to Obama ...he is in the final analysis just a man with a family. JFK had a family and so did that senator whatizname.

With trillions at stake no doubt Obama had reality "splained" to him a long time ago. No president is immune to the wishes of these people. The comical way you guys scream at puppets is quaint! ... and amusing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only differences I see among Clinton, Bush and Obama is that Obama is the only one that even gives lip service to his reluctance to cave in to the demands of the true "leaders" of our country.

Lets create more American Jobs,not more Brazilian Jobs. Just a suggestion anyway.

AND a damn good one it is. What is constantly missing from THAT discussion is what REALLY creates jobs. It is a demand for products. The Ford Motor company is one of the best models for job creation. Henry Fords mission statement..if he had one was to produce a product that his own employees could afford and want. Unfortunately most of the products that our people need and can afford are not made in the USA any more. The good news is that what is produced for us are trinkets..devices to entertain us and take up our time. The only avenue that makes any sense is the manufacture of alternative energy devices because that is an undeniable future. The resistance to that reality is astonishing. No major industry has come along without bumps and starts but the powers with the death grip on our energy needs have sabotaged every attempt to gain ground in that direction. The problem is to big for any independent operation. The market is still too weak. The eventuality is undeniable though so it is ridiculous that there is so much foot dragging on that path. All I can guess is that the carbon based energy crowd wants to squeeze every last cent out of our pockets until their commodity is used up then ...Miraculously ..."discover" alternate energy and present it in their current model as something THEY have a right to hold over us and continue bleeding the American public with.

You have been misinformed, Boed.

The Export-Import Bank approved loans to the Brazilian oil company, Petróleo Brasileiro S.A to buy U.S. made equipment and services.

Obama had nothing to do with it.

ABSOLUTELY correct, the deal was with the Bank....made by Bush appointees, not even by Obama appointees...

we have had a thread on this already.

however, I seethe issues at stake and worth discussion in the article are;

Mr. Obama ought to tell the whole story about Brazil, instead of just half of it. He touts the measures Brazil took to improve its energy independence, such as flex-fuel vehicles and biofuels. And yes, Brazil has gone from importing 77% of its oil from foreign sources in 1980 to importing no oil by 2009. A great success story in conservation and alternative energy? Not really. Total Brazilian oil consumption still more than doubled.

The biggest factor is that Brazil increased its domestic oil production over the last two decades by 876% (not a typo). Most of that production has come from offshore exploration.

Brazil/BIOFUELS Indeed... Sugarcane...

Ethanol fuel in Brazil

Forum List

Back