The Real Deal on Brazil

Discussion in 'Energy' started by boedicca, Apr 1, 2011.

1. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,866
    Obama recently took spring break in Brazil, and handed out billions in loans for offshore drilling.

Let's look at Brazil's Energy Policy:

Mr. Obama ought to tell the whole story about Brazil, instead of just half of it. He touts the measures Brazil took to improve its energy independence, such as flex-fuel vehicles and biofuels. And yes, Brazil has gone from importing 77% of its oil from foreign sources in 1980 to importing no oil by 2009. A great success story in conservation and alternative energy? Not really. Total Brazilian oil consumption still more than doubled.

The biggest factor is that Brazil increased its domestic oil production over the last two decades by 876% (not a typo). Most of that production has come from offshore exploration.

Stephen Hayward: The Secret to Brazil's Energy Success - WSJ.com

If it's good enough for the U.S. to loan money to Brazil to drill off shore, why don't we allow our domestic oil companies to increase production?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Because Brazil has something your masters want.Monsanto needs more farmland and Brazil has it. Simple isn't it. If Brazil doesn't like the way Dupont-Monsanto takes advantage of them and destroys what is left of the rest of their country they have a plan for that too. Blackwater/XE which they recently purchased.
    Don't forgit to sing that thar Gawd Blass murka on your way home from work.

3. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    You have been misinformed, Boed.

The Export-Import Bank approved loans to the Brazilian oil company, Petróleo Brasileiro S.A to buy U.S. made equipment and services.

Obama had nothing to do with it.

5. RGR

RGR VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Incorrect. From you (or peak oil cultists in general) this is not a surprise. The amount of estimated oil remaining in the GOM according to Gorelick is quite substantial.

You won't hear this from peak oil cultists however, primarily because they are energy incompetents. Like Jiggsy. Go ahead, determine it for yourself, just ask him any question about the industry and see how fast he cuts and pastes someone else's answer...he isn't capable of generating one on his own.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    Obama has no confidence in us (read: U.S.). He doesn't view our country as a community.
    He does not instill a sense of self-worth. He gives no purpose or direction.

We are leaderless.

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,115
    ABSOLUTELY correct, the deal was with the Bank....made by Bush appointees, not even by Obama appointees...

we have had a thread on this already.

8. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Poetic irony.

At least I support my opinion. You just troll and spew vague assertion backed by nothingness, while pretending you're smarter than petrol geologists, energy analysts, chief economists, and anyone else who doesn't deep-throat the consumption paradigm you all lube up and masturbate to.

You're such an unrivalled asshole. LOL. And what a good little loyal globalist you are, carrying water for all things "infinite growth." What a tool.

"Quite substantial?" WTF does that mean? Way to expose yourself with a figure, coward. Estimated reserves don't mean shit. I have little doubt you know this, but you're promoting more willful fraud, per usual.

Man-up and present some proven reserve figures, then, "arrogant prick". You know, like you fail to do time and time again every time you engage me on the topic. Shock me, for once. Rather than punt to hollow personal insinuation that does ZERO for your argument, do the work. How is the Florida Senate study "wrong?" Let me guess: It doesn't factor "shale gas?" ... lol-tastic.

God, do you ever suck at this, "industry insider." :cool:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  9. RGR

RGR VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +133
    You cannot support your opinion. All you can do is provide a link to someone else saying something, you do not have the ability to judge its validity in the least. Parrots only fool fools into thinking that they understand the words they use.

I supplied a reference name...I did not expect you to catch it in your lunge for name calling as a substitute for thought.

Go back and find the name I dropped. If you can, I will then provide the page in his book which references "quite substantial" estimates.

I certainly didn't say anything about reserve numbers, and I certainly wouldn't expect you to know anything about them or the differences among the various categories. Go see the above paragraph related to the disadvantages of being a parrot.

I've already mentioned that I'm not in industry anymore. You should try out this thing called "reading comprehension", it would help you from making all these factual errors you are so fond of.

10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    however, I seethe issues at stake and worth discussion in the article are;

Mr. Obama ought to tell the whole story about Brazil, instead of just half of it. He touts the measures Brazil took to improve its energy independence, such as flex-fuel vehicles and biofuels. And yes, Brazil has gone from importing 77% of its oil from foreign sources in 1980 to importing no oil by 2009. A great success story in conservation and alternative energy? Not really. Total Brazilian oil consumption still more than doubled.

The biggest factor is that Brazil increased its domestic oil production over the last two decades by 876% (not a typo). Most of that production has come from offshore exploration.