'The Pending Disaster for Higher Education in Nevada'

Discussion in 'Education' started by midcan5, Mar 5, 2011.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    As we debate why America's students are falling behind other nations, we need to look no further than Nevada. Our nation simply does not value education enough to fund it.

"Nevada, another haven for Tea Party crazies, has no income tax and low business taxes, and thus lives off sales taxes and taxes on gambling, both of which fall during a recession. The result is a financial crisis and such draconian proposed budget cuts that the state university system may, in effect, go bankrupt, meaning, among other things, that tenured faculty may be fired, and entire programs eliminated. This memo (see below) describes the kinds of cuts the University of Nevada at Las Vegas will be asked to make, and this video from the University of Nevada at Reno echoes the concerns. Illinois, to its credit, actually raised the income tax from 3 to 5% to deal with the current financial troubles here, but this state is still basically Democratic, i.e., sane. If you live in Nevada, now is the time to contact your representatives to preserve higher education."

by Brian Leiter

UNLV faculty warned higher ed system may be forced to declare bankruptcy - News - ReviewJournal.com

http://go.unlv.edu/assets/budget/pdf/Deans_Memo.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,995
    Nevada Latino Population Skyrockets

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Latino population in the state of Nevada experienced exceptional growth since 2000, growing an unprecedented 82% in the last decade, according to a National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund analysis of newly released Census 2010 data.

Between 2000 and 2010, while the state's overall population grew 35% from 2.0 million to 2.7 million, the Latino population increased from 393,970 to 716,501.

Nevada Latino Population Skyrockets - Yahoo! News

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,328
    And?

4. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    We neeeeed more mooonnnneeeeeyyyyy!!!!

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

5. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

People can be so stupid. Sorry OP..You ARE included in the STUPID REMARK...

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    My Dad grew up dirt poor but still managed to get into Dental school and pay for it himself. Although I didn't grow up poor I paid for my own education as well. (i'm not a Dentist)

As my Dad told me once when I was complaining about a 14 unit school load I had while working full time:

"I took 24 units one semester while I was at USC. I think you can do it if you try harder".

7. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    It has to be a truism that the finer things in life are not always free. If you want a well built home, a good education, a well running car, they cost money. But oddly for the righties money is only worshiped when concentrated in the hands of the few. The ideas of sharing inherent in Christianity and a just society are alien to their emotional repertoire. There is no balance in the right's replies to providing both educational facilities and the opportunity for all spoken about in our preamble. That may eventually change as the poverty level for American children increases, it is now at 25%. Empathy grows out of experience and knowledge. The comfort level of most Americans today makes for lazy, easy to propagandize to, whiny people - thus the tea party and other assorted crazies. Knee jerk replies don't accomplish anything, but like our representatives in congress, it's all they have, solutions elude the ideologue. Their minds contain only the ideological rantings of spoiled children. [For those still possessing a heart and a soul, see Sig and check out book the following quote comes from]

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

"Without a component of civil resistance, no legislation will ever pass that runs against the interests of the ruling class." Tom Hastings / Geov Parrish

8. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Right...You can't steal enough money from those who've earned it, so accuse them of being "money worshipers" and being bad Christians.

Get a new playbook.

9. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    Hyperbolic rhetoric is free, I hope I use it wisely. I suggest you get a playbook before asking another to. Your one liners are empty, like your head and your playbook. Oh sorry if you had a head or even a book.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

10. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The "we neeeeeed more monnneeeeeeyyyyy" boilerplate is also free, only exceeded in staleness by your hackneyed re-re-re-reiteration of that dreary quote from Galbraith.

Your hubris has become downright boring.