The North Pole could melt this year

Charles he is hopeless, he ignores that the artic temperature remains unchanged since 1938. He ignores that droughts are on the decrease in the last 100 years....and the denial goes on and on and on....

Some alarmist proclaimed global cooling in the 70's...More Kirk denial

Every single scientist next year could come out tommorow and say that AGW was politically motivated and Kirk would say that they are mistaken....

Melting glaciers and rising CO2 are "politically motivated."

Right.....

Speaking of politically motivated, Dick Cheney and his oil company buddies are hard at work....

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200807182229DOWJONESDJONLINE000774_FORTUNE5.htm

Last edited:
WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Bush administration officials, including the energy secretary, had originally agreed that greenhouse gases posed a danger to the public and should be regulated under existing clean-air laws - but later reversed course amid opposition from Vice President Dick Cheney's office and the oil industry, a new U.S. congressional report says.

The White House rejected the findings of the U.S. House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, chaired by Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass. " Chairman Markey's report is inaccurate to the point of being laughable," said White House spokesman Tony Fratto. "I admire his imagination."

The report offers a look at the breadth of Bush administration support for new regulations before such plans abruptly stopped, although at least one cabinet secretary strongly disputes its findings. It draws heavily on an interview with a former Environmental Protection Agency official who already has told Congress about the role played by Cheney's office. It is also based on confidential interviews with EPA staff and documents subpoenaed from the EPA.

"This is the dysfunctions and motivations of the Bush administration laid bare," said Markey in a statement. "The fact that they can, with near unanimity, completely switch positions on global warming to please the oil industry is shocking, and yet disappointingly predictable."

For months, Congress has been investigating a series of decisions by EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson, including stopping California from regulating motor-vehicle greenhouse-gas emissions. But new details have trickled out through previous congressional reports showing that Johnson had originally sided at least in part with EPA staff on several fronts, including that greenhouse-gas emissions pose a danger to the public and should be regulated. As a more complicated picture of interagency discussions emerged, the role played by Cheney's office has come to assume a more central focus.

"I don't accept their premise," said Megan Mitchell, a spokeswoman for Cheney's office. The report said that the oil industry argued against regulatory action, had the support of Cheney's office and that the Bush administration ultimately did the oil industry's bidding. "Frankly, that's ridiculous," she said.

Jason Burnett, a former EPA associate deputy administrator who played a key role in coordinating the agency's climate-change activities, told the House committee that people in Cheney's office and within the Office of Management and Budget, a White House organization that coordinates administration policy, felt regulations would reflect negatively on Bush's legacy.

"The concern was over the president's legacy and not wanting to have an increase in regulation, particularly regulation under the Clean Air Act, to be attributed to this administration and to President Bush's legacy," the report said. Burnett didn't return a phone call.

The report for the first time named F. Chase Hutto III, Cheney's energy adviser, as someone who argued against new regulations, along with individuals from Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) and the American Petroleum Institute. It didn't identify the individuals from Exxon or API by name. It also says that Bush's deputy chief of staff, Joel Kaplan, along with Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman, Transportation Secretary Mary Peters and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez had originally endorsed an EPA finding that greenhouse-gas emissions endanger public welfare and should be regulated under the Clean Air Act.

Those government officials last week signed a letter saying that the Clean Air Act wasn't an appropriate vehicle for regulating greenhouse-gas emissions. A Commerce Department spokeswoman didn't immediately respond. Brian Turmail, a spokesman for Transportation Secretary Peters, said that she "was involved in an intellectual process to explore whether the Clean Air Act was an appropriate vehicle for regulating fuel-economy standards. The decision was 'no.' You shouldn't confuse engaging in an intellectual exercise with supporting the idea."

The Cheney spokeswoman said that "White House staffers are paid to go into a meeting and offer their advice and thoughts, and that's what Chase was doing." Exxon spokesman Alan Jeffers said he didn't know who from Exxon made the company's case, but that "it's not a secret what our views are." He said that Exxon believes that the Clean Air Act isn't the appropriate way to regulate carbon emissions.

Angela Hill, an Energy spokeswoman, said that Energy Secretary Bodman "has not reversed course," and said that "the Department of Energy believes that the Clean Air Act is fundamentally ill-suited to the effective regulation of greenhouse-gas emissions."

API spokeswoman Karen Matusic said that it isn't unusual for the group to meet with federal agencies "on areas of mutual concern," and that its view that the Clean Air Act isn't appropriate for regulating greenhouse-gas emissions has repeatedly been made public.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200807182229DOWJONESDJONLINE000774_FORTUNE5.htm

Now Kirk, what does that have to do with the science of global warming? Absolutely nothing...

I do notice you still deny the facts in my previous post you just further prove my point....Thank you

Thanks for bringing up things that are "politically motivated."

White House refuses to open email about regulating greenhouse gases
Posted by Kate Sheppard at 12:46 PM on 25 Jun 2008

The White House has refused to accept the Environmental Protection Agency's conclusion that greenhouse gases are pollutants that must be controlled, and has told EPA officials that the email they sent containing the document of their findings would not be opened, reports The New York Times. Apparently the email in question has been hanging in limbo since December 2007, according to EPA officials.

The document details the EPA's proposed response to the Supreme Court decision in Massachusetts v. EPA that greenhouse gases pose a threat to public health and the environment, and the EPA has a responsibility to regulate them. Apparently, the White House has decided if they don't open the email, they don't have to abide by the suggestions of experts.

According to those who have accessed early drafts of the EPA's endangerment findings, the original conclusion was that the country could raise automobile fuel efficiency standards to 37.7 miles per gallon by 2018 without significant economic hardship. EPA officials, speaking under the condition of anonymity to the Times, said that over the past week the White House has put pressure on the agency to eliminate large sections of their analysis that support stronger regulation, including their finding that regulation of automobile emissions could actually produce $500 billion to $2 trillion in economic benefits over the next 32 years.

The Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on regulating auto emissions is expected as early as today. As we've reported previously, documents that Congress has secured related to the case suggest that the White House intends to undermine the EPA's recommendations in the ANPR. EPA officials say that the ANPR out of the White House will be a watered-down version of their recommendations that looks at the legal and economic concerns related to declaring carbon dioxide a pollutant.

The original proposal from EPA experts "showed that the Clean Air Act can work for certain sectors of the economy, to reduce greenhouse gases," one senior official told the Times. "That's not what the administration wants to show. They want to show that the Clean Air Act can't work."

As we've seen previously with the smog decision and the California waiver, Johnson has a history of ignoring the recommendations of staff experts in order to appease the White House. The Times notes that one EPA official has already resigned over the apparent politicization in the agency when it comes to regulating emissions. Jason Burnett, the associate deputy administrator, told the Times he resigned because "no more constructive work could be done" there in response to the Supreme Court decision.

As we've reported previously, House Select Committee for Energy Independence and Global Warming Chair Ed Markey sent a letter to Bush yesterday urging him to abide by the recommendations of the EPA. And on Friday, the White House intervened to block the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee's subpoena of documents related to the White House's role in decision-making on related issues at the EPA, claiming executive privilege.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/6/25/10526/4230/

Last edited:
Now Kirk, what does that have to do with the science of global warming? Absolutely nothing...

I do notice you still deny the facts in my previous post you just further prove my point....Thank you

Once again, thanks for bringing up "politically motivated."

You're the BEST!!!

So you would be alarmed if the North Pole melted? I am glad you admit it. Here's a report from a scientist on the scene...

I would be alarmed if it could be proved to me that we would suffer dire repercussions from the North pole melting alone. I do not see that this is the case. There are far to many factors to consider to go screaming into the night that we are all going to die from the North pole melting alone.

One being that the south pole ice is actually increasing, which I would guess would off set any major increase in sea levels.

Aalok Mehta aboard the C.C.G.S. Amundsen
National Geographic News
June 20, 2008
Arctic warming has become so dramatic that the North Pole may melt this summer, report scientists studying the effects of climate change in the field.

"We're actually projecting this year that the North Pole may be free of ice for the first time [in history]," David Barber, of the University of Manitoba, told National Geographic News aboard the C.C.G.S. Amundsen, a Canadian research icebreaker.

I believe the facts I have shown throw this "prediction" into serious doubt as I have shown there is actually more ice there today then there was this time last year, and the north pole was not free of ice last year.

RELATED
Shrinking Arctic Sea Ice Thinner, More Vulnerable (March 18, 2008)
Firsthand observations and satellite images show that the immediate area around the geographic North Pole is now mostly annual, or first-year, ice—thin new ice that forms each year during the winter freeze.

Such ice is much more prone to melting during the summer months than perennial, or multiyear, ice, which is thick and dense ice that has lasted through multiple cycles of thawing and refreezing.

"I would say the ice in the vicinity of the North Pole is primed for melting, and an ice-free North Pole is a good possibility," Sheldon Drobot, a climatologist at the Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research at the University of Colorado, said by email.

Well that is all fine and dandy and all, but as it is July and there is more ice there now than there was this time last year, Again I do not see this "prediction" coming true.

Again despite your cute little jokes, I would only be alarmed if it were shown that we are going to suffer dire effects from the North pole alone melting. As I pointed out with Ice actually increasing at the south pole, I would guess the 2 will cancel each other out, and we will not suffer the dire effects you, and Al Gore are trying to scare us all with.

Again to be clear, It is clear the earth is warming up, and that humans are contributing to it, what is not clear is how much we are contributing to it, How much we can do to stop it, and how bad the effects of this will be.

All the info I see says we could see some sea level rise, but most of the predictions show that only if the very highest predictions come true would we even see any serious effects from it.

I Am not sure why I am wasting time with you, other than I find it amusing to use your own links, to throw serious doubt on your dire predictions of doom and gloom.

I am all for getting us off of oil, and lowering our negative impact on our planets climate. What I am not for is taking drastic measures that could cripple our already failing economy, and the worlds, based on "predictions" and what I see as some rather shaky ideas.

However I hold no illusions about changing your mind on the subject. You are clearly a true believer and will not be moved one inch from your position.

The Bush administration record on climate change is one of the worst among affluent nations. Years of stonewalling and denial finally gave way to pressure, when the White House released a long overdue report on the impact of global warming in May of this year.

The report includes the statement:

“It is likely that there has been a substantial human contribution to surface temperature increases in North America.”

If this indicates a genuine change of heart, Bush's behavior certainly doesn't reflect it.

At a meeting at the Windsor Hotel in Hokkaido, leaders of the world's richest nations got together this week to discuss new targets for cutting carbon emissions.

While Nicolas Sarkozy and Gordon Brown looked on in disbelief, Bush ended the meeting with the words:

"Goodbye from the world's greatest polluter."

The US president then punched the air with his fist while grinning broadly.

Bush's adolescent bravado was the equivalent of giving the finger to critics who have long been holding America's feet to the fire on the environment. But the display just added to the impression of a buffoon who is thankfully heading for the White House exit.

Bush's G8 buffoonery: 'Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter' ~ aidan maconachy

Charles he is hopeless, he ignores that the artic temperature remains unchanged since 1938. He ignores that droughts are on the decrease in the last 100 years....and the denial goes on and on and on....

Some alarmist proclaimed global cooling in the 70's...More Kirk denial

Every single scientist next year could come out tommorow and say that AGW was politically motivated and Kirk would say that they are mistaken....

I know, I just was taking great pleasure in using his own links to blow holes in his doom and gloom ideas.

I see several posts below this one that i quoted where he is making fun of you saying AGW could be politically motivated. While I am not even going to bother reading them tonight, I will say that you are not wrong. One only has to read about the carbon credit trading plans to see that it clearly could be politically motivated. Not to mention that AGW could be used as a very clever way to bring government control into nearly every aspect of our lives. From how much we drive, how much power we use, to how much we breath for gods sake.

The fact that he laughs his off only shows his ignorance to the ways of the world, and the politics of the far left.

Last edited:
Scientists surprised by midwinter collapse of massive ice shelf
Email Print Normal font Large font Andrew Darby Hobart

July 12, 2008

Advertisement
EVEN the depths of winter are proving unable to halt the climate change-induced collapse of an Antarctic ice shelf.

When the Wilkins shelf began a runaway disintegration at the end of last summer, scientists thought it unlikely the collapse would continue through the pole's coldest months.

But satellite images show losses growing in recent days, so that at last sight, only a thin and fractured ice bridge held the bulk of the giant shelf in place. Its loss would put the rest of the 14,500- square-kilometre ice shelf at risk, the European Space Agency said.

The British Antarctic Survey's David Vaughan said the rate of break-up showed scientists were too conservative in the early 1990s when they predicted Wilkins would be lost in 30 years.

"The truth is it's going more quickly than we guessed," Dr Vaughan said.

The Wilkins is the largest of seven shelves on the Antarctic Peninsula to surrender their ice because of increased temperatures. Across the peninsula air temperature has risen an average of 2.5 degrees in 50 years, the greatest rise in the world.

The best-known ice shelf collapse so far was of Larsen B on the peninsula's east coast. Like all floating ice shelves, its 3250- square-kilometre loss did not raise sea level, but did unleash land-bound glacial ice behind.

A meeting of the international Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research in St Petersburg this week heard that 87% of the glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula were in retreat.

The Wilkins is also located much further south towards the great West Antarctic ice sheet than Larsen B. The loss of the West sheet would raise global sea level by five metres, and the St Petersburg meeting heard that one key glacier there is moving 40% faster than in the 1970s.

Scientists have been closely watching the unstable Wilkins for the past decade, and the initial loss of 570 square kilometres in a few days last February raised the alarm again.

US National Snow and Ice Data Centre research scientist Walter Meier forecast then that other weakened areas of the Wilkins would go, but said: "Things are freezing up, so that will probably be it for the year."

Commenting on the winter collapse, Australian glaciologist Neil Young said: "I wouldn't have predicted this. But these days I expect to be surprised."

ESA scientists said their images of a further 160 square kilometres breaking off in May were the first ever to document the phenomenon in winter. By this week, the images showed that 1350 square kilometres of the Wilkins had shattered into smaller floating ice pieces.

Dr Young, of the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems CRC in Hobart, said summer melt water trickling down through the ice could be a cause, but also pointed to reduced sea ice and a later onset of ice cover.

"These are subtle differences in temperature," he said, "but the volumes of water are so great there is a large transport of heat."

http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...lapse-of-massive-ice-shelf-20080711-3dsy.html

Last edited:
I know, I just was taking great pleasure in using his own links to blow holes in his doom and gloom ideas.

I see several posts below this one that i quoted where he is making fun of you saying AGW could be politically motivated. While I am not even going to bother reading them tonight, I will say that you are not wrong. One only has to read about the carbon credit trading plans to see that it clearly could be politically motivated. Not to mention that AGW could be used as a very clever way to bring government control into nearly every aspect of our lives. From how much we drive, how much power we use, to how much we breath for gods sake.

The fact that he laughs his off only shows his ignorance to the ways of the world, and the politics of the far left.

Yes, it's politics that are warming the earth.

Scientists surprised by midwinter collapse of massive ice shelf
Email Print Normal font Large font Andrew Darby Hobart

July 12, 2008

Advertisement
EVEN the depths of winter are proving unable to halt the climate change-induced collapse of an Antarctic ice shelf.

When the Wilkins shelf began a runaway disintegration at the end of last summer, scientists thought it unlikely the collapse would continue through the pole's coldest months.

But satellite images show losses growing in recent days, so that at last sight, only a thin and fractured ice bridge held the bulk of the giant shelf in place. Its loss would put the rest of the 14,500- square-kilometre ice shelf at risk, the European Space Agency said.

The British Antarctic Survey's David Vaughan said the rate of break-up showed scientists were too conservative in the early 1990s when they predicted Wilkins would be lost in 30 years.

"The truth is it's going more quickly than we guessed," Dr Vaughan said.

The Wilkins is the largest of seven shelves on the Antarctic Peninsula to surrender their ice because of increased temperatures. Across the peninsula air temperature has risen an average of 2.5 degrees in 50 years, the greatest rise in the world.

The best-known ice shelf collapse so far was of Larsen B on the peninsula's east coast. Like all floating ice shelves, its 3250- square-kilometre loss did not raise sea level, but did unleash land-bound glacial ice behind.

A meeting of the international Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research in St Petersburg this week heard that 87% of the glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula were in retreat.

The Wilkins is also located much further south towards the great West Antarctic ice sheet than Larsen B. The loss of the West sheet would raise global sea level by five metres, and the St Petersburg meeting heard that one key glacier there is moving 40% faster than in the 1970s.

Scientists have been closely watching the unstable Wilkins for the past decade, and the initial loss of 570 square kilometres in a few days last February raised the alarm again.

US National Snow and Ice Data Centre research scientist Walter Meier forecast then that other weakened areas of the Wilkins would go, but said: "Things are freezing up, so that will probably be it for the year."

Commenting on the winter collapse, Australian glaciologist Neil Young said: "I wouldn't have predicted this. But these days I expect to be surprised."

ESA scientists said their images of a further 160 square kilometres breaking off in May were the first ever to document the phenomenon in winter. By this week, the images showed that 1350 square kilometres of the Wilkins had shattered into smaller floating ice pieces.

Dr Young, of the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems CRC in Hobart, said summer melt water trickling down through the ice could be a cause, but also pointed to reduced sea ice and a later onset of ice cover.

"These are subtle differences in temperature," he said, "but the volumes of water are so great there is a large transport of heat."

Scientists surprised by midwinter collapse of massive ice shelf | theage.com.au

OMG...the sky is falling, the sky is fallling...

Where is the increased droughts predicted, why hasn't artic temperature changed since 1938, why do 31,000 scientists describe AGW as hysteria, why do you deduce yourself to deflection as your main rebuttal?

Last edited:

Politics....

Environmentalists believe that greenhouse emissions will cause global warming. The most important such gas is carbon dioxide—produced by burning oil, coal, and natural gas. The U.S. delegation went to Kyoto pledging to cut these emissions to 1990 levels, but we soon yielded to environmental fanaticism by accepting an even stricter standard. (Al Gore and the U.S. press called this “flexibility,” showing how important control of the rhetoric really is.) Now we are committed to reducing gases to 7 percent below 1990 levels by the year 2012. Developing countries wisely did not sign on. If complied with immediately, the treaty would plunge the United States into a depression. Its drastic curbs on energy use—perhaps reducing it by as much as one-third—would throw millions of people out of work. The real goal of the treaty is to give the federal government an excuse to raise taxes and to set stricter appliance and auto efficiency standards.
It’s said that the Senate won’t ratify, so don’t worry. Indeed, before the conference the Senate voted unanimously that developing countries must sign on if the treaty is to be acceptable. But 130 countries did not do so, and, together, they are expected to cause over half the global emissions within a few years. In seeking peace with the environmentalists, then, the Clinton administration yielded to extremism, and after Kyoto it was difficult to find any politician on the record as supporting the treaty. It has the beneficial effect of reconstituting the old Reagan anticommunist coalition, including libertarians, labor rank and file, and conservatives of both neo and paleo stripe. Even Dick Gephardt refused to endorse the treaty as it stands. It’s “a work in progress,” he said.

In brief, the science shows that most greenhouse gases are the work of nature, not of man; most of the tiny recorded rise in temperature in this century took place before World War II and contradicts current global warming theory.

Hoover Institution - Hoover Digest - The Politics behind Global Warming

Sure thats what I said. NOT!! Man your deflections get more and more childish by the second. I think you are just trying to bury my post underneath as many posts as you can so nobody sees them. I also think you do not even read other peoples posts, and when you read your own links you pick and chose what you want to hear. You are really starting to look like a fool bud, Maybe it is past your bed time?

Last edited:
Sure thats what I said. NOT!! Man your deflections get more and more childish by the second. I think you are just trying to bury my post underneath as many posts as you can so nobody sees them. I also think you do not even read other peoples posts, and when you read your own links you pick and chose what you want to hear. You are really starting to look like a fool bud, Maybe it is past your bed time?

Gasp!

The "left" wants to control your life. They want you to drive a cleaner, more fuel efficient car.

Bastards!!!

Politics....

Environmentalists believe that greenhouse emissions will cause global warming. The most important such gas is carbon dioxide—produced by burning oil, coal, and natural gas. The U.S. delegation went to Kyoto pledging to cut these emissions to 1990 levels, but we soon yielded to environmental fanaticism by accepting an even stricter standard. (Al Gore and the U.S. press called this “flexibility,” showing how important control of the rhetoric really is.) Now we are committed to reducing gases to 7 percent below 1990 levels by the year 2012. Developing countries wisely did not sign on. If complied with immediately, the treaty would plunge the United States into a depression. Its drastic curbs on energy use—perhaps reducing it by as much as one-third—would throw millions of people out of work. The real goal of the treaty is to give the federal government an excuse to raise taxes and to set stricter appliance and auto efficiency standards.
It’s said that the Senate won’t ratify, so don’t worry. Indeed, before the conference the Senate voted unanimously that developing countries must sign on if the treaty is to be acceptable. But 130 countries did not do so, and, together, they are expected to cause over half the global emissions within a few years. In seeking peace with the environmentalists, then, the Clinton administration yielded to extremism, and after Kyoto it was difficult to find any politician on the record as supporting the treaty. It has the beneficial effect of reconstituting the old Reagan anticommunist coalition, including libertarians, labor rank and file, and conservatives of both neo and paleo stripe. Even Dick Gephardt refused to endorse the treaty as it stands. It’s “a work in progress,” he said.

In brief, the science shows that most greenhouse gases are the work of nature, not of man; most of the tiny recorded rise in temperature in this century took place before World War II and contradicts current global warming theory.

Hoover Institution - Hoover Digest - The Politics behind Global Warming

Greenhouse gases are the work of nature. Bwha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,haaaa!!!!!

That's why CO2 has gone up by one third in the last 200 years. That is why CO2 is at the highest level ever recorded in 600,000 years. It's nature. Not because we are pumping 8 billion metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year.

Gasp!

The "left" wants to control your life. They want you to drive a cleaner, more fuel efficient car.

Bastards!!!

Ah, I see you still will only deflect and make jokes. Yep a troll indeed. Keep posting BS I am sure you will succeed in burying everyones post but your own.

Ah, I see you still will only deflect and make jokes. Yep a troll indeed. Keep posting BS I am sure you will succeed in burying everyones post but your own.

You view the attempt to control global warming as an attempt by "the left" to control your life. That tells me pretty much all I need to know.

You view the attempt to control global warming as an attempt by "the left" to control your life. That tells me pretty much all I need to know.

LOL, you are so good at deciding what I think from things I said, which are not at all what you say I think. I said there could be political reasons for people to support AGW views, I did not say I think that is the only reason, I only allowed for the possibility.

More pointless deflection from Kirk. Shocker.

You have still done nothing to dispute the Facts I posted about Ice Coverage at the north pole. Don't worry I wont hold my breath waiting for an actually post of substance from you.

Last edited:

Says the one who claims humans are in control and causing global warming....:cuckoo:

LOL, you are so good at deciding what I think from things I said, which are not at all what you say I think. I said there could be political reasons for people to support AGW views, I did not say I think that is the only reason, I only allowed for the possibility.

More pointless deflection from Kirk. Shocker.

You have still done nothing to dispute the Facts I posted about Ice Coverage at the north pole. Don't worry I wont hold my breath waiting for an actually post of substance from you.

What's to dispute? The ice at the pole is thinner and wider than it was last year. There are some year to year variations, but we haven't hit the minimum time period yet.

Forum List

Back