The NFL playoff system is messed up.

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
We have san diego at 8-8 hosting the 11-5 colts. The Patriots are 11-5 and are staying home. there are too many teams, and therefore too many divisions. I am not sure what Atlanta's record is, but I think it's better than Arizona's and the cards are hosting atl. Atl will probably whip their asses anyway. they are, after all, the cardinals. Imagine if Seattle's entire offensive line and qb were not out all year. .....

12 teams isn't that many out of 30.

They created the wild card for the very reason of getting teams with good records in who didn't win a division.

The current system works well and is fair, it isn't the Charger's fault Denver, Kansas city and oakland suck.

• Banned
an 11-5 team missing the playoffs while an 8-8 team hosts a playoff game and the system works well? Sure, it's fair, but it doesn't work well.

The alternative is to just go by records and have no divisions, and what you end up with is the same teams would make it every year and the game's following would be disrupted and messed up.

This system works well.

• Banned
and yet another alternative is to have fewer divisions.

Are you aware that NE only beat 2 teams with winning records, the jets and the Dolphins?

That isn't exactly grounds to change the league, them missing out.

• Banned
Are you aware that NE only beat 2 teams with winning records, the jets and the Dolphins?

That isn't exactly grounds to change the league, them missing out.

That's irrelevant. the fact is New England won 11 games. and it's not the colts' fault they play in tennessee's division. now they go on the road to an 8-8 team. (I hate the colts, so I'm not that pissed, but its still screwy). Using your reasoning, though, six of Arizona's eight wins came against division foes, none of which won more than five games. Arizona will be the worst nfl team to ever make the playoffs. Using the old system, Arizona would be behind New York, Dallas, and Philly, and eliminated from the playoffs. Carolina would win the NFC west over Frisco, st louis, new orleans, and atlanta. That would leave one mediocre team in the Nfc, the vikings. so we would have New York and Carolina with first round byes. Atlanta, Philly, Minnesota, and Dallas I believe would be in the playoffs.

The league is too big, imho. same is true in the NBA and MLB.

Not irrelivent at all, nor is the league 'too big.'

If it were, you would have empty seats in playoff games and nobody watching the games.

This current system is better then the 3 division 3 wildcard thing that used to have.

Want to make the playoffs?

Win your division.

Can't do that, you have to have one of the best 2 records out of the non division winners.

The Pats didn't win as many as the Colts (and lost to them outright) and the Ravens had the tiebreaker because they beat better teams.

• Banned
Not irrelivent at all, nor is the league 'too big.'

If it were, you would have empty seats in playoff games and nobody watching the games.

This current system is better then the 3 division 3 wildcard thing that used to have.

Want to make the playoffs?

Win your division.

Can't do that, you have to have one of the best 2 records out of the non division winners.

The Pats didn't win as many as the Colts (and lost to them outright) and the Ravens had the tiebreaker because they beat better teams.

colts and pats each won 11 games. i agree the colts should place ahead of the pats because they beat them outright. same is true with the ravens.

empty seats? the vikings need to sell 15k more tickets for this weekend's PLAYOFF game or face blackout.

It was irrelevant because the way the system is NOW, it doesn't matter who you lose to as long as you win the damn division. You can literally win six games and win the division, it's insane. The cardinals are going to get blown out of their own building. I watched them against the Seahawks last week. Seattle had a rookie quarterback and a high school offensive line (their entire offensive line is on IR) and Arizona struggled.

The system is fine.

You have to have the division winners go to the playoffs. Otherwise, what is the point in having divisions?

And the reason why the NFL, or any sports league, has divisions is because divisions foster rivalries, which is good for the league because rivalries foster interest.

We have san diego at 8-8 hosting the 11-5 colts. The Patriots are 11-5 and are staying home. there are too many teams, and therefore too many divisions. I am not sure what Atlanta's record is, but I think it's better than Arizona's and the cards are hosting atl. they are, after all, the cardinals. Imagine if Seattle's entire offensive line and qb were not out all year. .....

Another problem is how the teams are being seeded. I think that just about anyone in Tennessee would rather play Miami or San Diego next week instead of Baltimore or the Colts. Yet, if one of those two latter teams wins then that is whom they will be facing. I think what the league should do is after the two wild card games are played, the number one seed should have an hour or so to choose the team they would like to face. With that being said, I am a Steelers fan and happy with the way things turned out!

Jesus tapdancing Christ!!

Quit your bitching dude! I'm as big a Pats fan as there is and you don't hear me whining about it. The system works and doesn't need any tampering. And heck, the Pats had ample opportunity to win two games they lost (Colts & Jets), either of which would have won them the division and a home playoff game.

How bout them Bruins!

Sounds like some folks here want a BCS for the Pros :eek:

And I want a playoff for college.

What a world.......

Sounds like some folks here want a BCS for the Pros :eek:

And I want a playoff for college.

What a world.......

nope, just go back to the way it used to be. contract a few teams. have fewer divisions.

Forum List

Back