The next tax. The Mileage Tax

Tell you what. Let's just let the states decide about the tax on vehicles. And those states that decide they want neither a mileage tax, or gas tax, just abandon the Interstates that are in those states. As a matter of fact, why don't we just abandon the Interstates in all the states that recieve more from the Federal Government than they put in.

Since the people who actually pay taxes use roads take the funds out of social services.

I Know when some people hear the word tax their head spins around and they scream EVIL, but it makes sense to tax people who drive a lot more often. The US roadway infrastructure did not spontaneously form, nor is it free from the need of repairs. What I am saying is basically if they are going to put a tax on driving around it is something we should be paying anyway. The only thing I do not want is for the tax to be used for other issues than roadwork.

I Know when some people hear the word tax their head spins around and they scream EVIL, but it makes sense to tax people who drive a lot more often. The US roadway infrastructure did not spontaneously form, nor is it free from the need of repairs. What I am saying is basically if they are going to put a tax on driving around it is something we should be paying anyway. The only thing I do not want is for the tax to be used for other issues than roadwork.

I understand the need for a tax to maintain roads and other related infrastructure.
However, how much tax is too much?
Do the math, For 2011, projected use was 142 billion gallons (9.12 million barrels a day).
Let me repeat that 9.12 million barrels a day in a previous post I said that the Federal gas tax is approximately 43 cents per gallon. The Federal government is just getting greedy.

I understand the need for a tax to maintain roads and other related infrastructure.
Do the math, For 2011, projected use was 142 billion gallons (9.12 million barrels a day).
Let me repeat that 9.12 million barrels a day in a previous post I said that the Federal gas tax is approximately 43 cents per gallon. The Federal government is just getting greedy.

Wrong.

National and State Gas Taxes (Fuel Taxes) in the United States - GasPriceWatch.com

What is the United States national gas tax rate?
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon (cpg) and 24.4 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents (cpg) per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel.

Wrong.

National and State Gas Taxes (Fuel Taxes) in the United States - GasPriceWatch.com

What is the United States national gas tax rate?
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon (cpg) and 24.4 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents (cpg) per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel.

I stand corrected on the Federal gas tax. Which is still a lot of money being collected by the Federal Government to maintain the Interstates.

Those that drive more already pay more taxes.

Pull your head out.

Increases in road taxes is for union coffers, nothing more.

They did that in our state, raised it ten cents a gallon during the price peaks, we find out latter that the union buds have been over charging for non completed work with dem blessings.

The mileage tax is but a first step towards a more fair tax. The transportation tax.

All those jokes about people buying a horse to combat gas prices may actually become legit options.

the reason being is that truckers underfund the very roads they use to make money. Here where I live the county wanted to put a tax on the people for the waterway that is used for floats and swimming, camping, but the camp sites around here volunteered to pay the tax because they considered that they were the ones using the public access and patrolmen for their profit. In NW Ark they were going to put up a mileage tax, but the trucking firms told the govt. they would pay it since they benifited from the roads.

(see highlight above^) And your brain somehow is not willing to comprehend the FACT that any costs added to the transportation of goods to market WILL result in YOU paying more for those goods AT the market. Do you honestly believe those costs wont be passed along to consumers (YOU)? You are living in a dreamworld if you do.

All trucks already pay a per mile rate.

Because a truck can buy fuel in a low fuel tax state, like Missouri, and drive completely through a high fuel tax state, like Illinois without buying a drop of fuel...high fuel tax states lobbied the federal government to establish IFTA.

Every truck self reports all miles driven in each state AND all fuel tax paid to each state plus the average MPG of the power unit.

If, for example, a truck only fuels in MO, who taxes diesel at 17 cents per gallon and only drives in MO & IL...at the end of the year the owner tabulates all miles drive in each state and the amount of fuel tax paid to Missouri.

Since the truck has paid more fuel tax than mile driven in Missouri, Missouri owes that power unit a refund.

And since the truck has paid no fuel tax for the miles driven in Illinois, the owner owes the state of Illinois miles driven divided by MPG times the fuel tax per gallon in Illinois, which is 41 cents per gallon (more than double Missouri's 17 cent per gallon rate).

Now take our simple example and multiply it by 50 states and 10 canadian provinces times multiple power units.

P.s. - if you live in a blue state that is not New Jersey, you are getting totally screwed on fuel tax.

Last edited:
All those jokes about people buying a horse to combat gas prices may actually become legit options.

Not a horse, but I can already see the battle brewing over bicycles. Bicycles pay nothing but expect bike lanes everyplace.

In fact, your own business means that you are responsible for obtaining their own business supplies. You can write your daily use items on your tax project. This makes sense, get your next tax return money, and buy things you need for your business.

Fresh from victory with the passage of the obamatax, democrats are ready to fight for the next tax. The mileage tax.

Seems like all those fuel efficient cars are cutting into gas tax revenue so a new tax is needed.

Mileage tax a "practical option," budget analysts tell Congress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The Obama administration wants to spend $556 billion over the next six years on transportation projects, but they may have to get creative to pay for them. One "practical option" could be taxing drivers based on their mileage, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is reporting.

The CBO has released a report on a potential mileage tax at the behest of Democratic Sen. Kent Conrad (N.D.), the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, the Hill reports. While tracking mileage was once considered infeasible, the CBO concluded that new technologies have changed that.

"Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option," the report said.

wow

That's just fucked up.

so now people that live in the country, cuz it's cheaper, and commute to the cities will now be taxed out of their savings.

or, move too a city to avoid the tax

That's a win win for the tyrants

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe."
---Thomas Jefferson

I expect any day now to hear that the government has put a tax on sex. With the way the government is screwing us, they could take in some real money with a tax on sex.

At least everybody on Welfare who have plenty of time on their hands to lay around and make babies will finally start paying their fair share.

Forum List

Back