The Next Recession Is Going to Be Brutal. The economy is showing signs of turning ...

"There have been as many as 47 recessions in the United States dating back to the Articles of Confederation, and although economists and historians dispute certain 19th-century recessions,[1] the consensus view among economists and historians is that "The cyclical volatility of GNP and unemployment was greater before the Great Depression than it has been since the end of World War II."[2] Cycles in the country's agricultural production, industrial production, consumption, business investment, and the health of the banking industry contribute to these declines. U.S. recessions have increasingly affected economies on a worldwide scale, especially as countries' economies become more intertwined."
List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia
Seriously, lying con tool? Wikipedia??
icon_rolleyes.gif

Show me GDP and unemployment figures from an recession worse than the Great Depression...

So I show you that there have been dozens of recessions over the years and you ignore that and demand GDP and unemployment figures? You're amusing. So who was the liar, Faun? Me...when I said there were dozens of recessions...or YOU when you called me deranged for saying that?
Lying con tool, I pointed out you're deranged for saying other recessions were as bad as the Great Depression, not for saying there have been dozens of recessions.

So prove your claim... show GDP and unemployment from another recession that was as bad as the great Depression.....

First of all there's a pretty big difference between a depression and a recession. Recessions are pretty much a naturally occurring process that accompanies macro growth. More or less unavoidable.
A depression on the other hand indicates that the fiat system used to achieve the previous growth period was probably a bubble with little to no asset underpinning that is undergoing a forced correction... Thank you very much John Maynard Keynes...

The Global currency correction of
2008 actually dwarves the original great depression ding bat... The big difference between the two was the
90 to 120 day asset rotation that was not present in 29 for obvious reasons.

Adjusting for escalating inflation
The 29 crash represented a 400 billion wealth loss over the course of about 4 days. That was a total mosquito compared to the 50 to 70 trillion lost in the week long crash of 2008.

So um ... Wtf are you even talking about?

The 1929 crash lasted ten years, not one year like the 2008 crash. In the great depression, the GDP fell by 46% over 5 years before it started to rise again.

You are evidently badly misinformed as are all Trump supporters. Trump supporters will believe any lies Donald Trump tells them.

Great Depression - Wikipedia

... The Great Depression started in the United States after a major fall in stock prices that began around September 4, 1929, and became worldwide news with the stock market crash of October 29, 1929, (known as Black Tuesday). Between 1929 and 1932, worldwide gross domestic product (GDP) fell by an estimated 15%. By comparison, worldwide GDP fell by less than 1% from 2008 to 2009 during the Great Recession.[4] Some economies started to recover by the mid-1930s. However, in many countries, the negative effects of the Great Depression lasted until the beginning of World War II.[5]
The Great Depression had devastating effects in countries both rich and poor. Personal income, tax revenue, profits and prices dropped, while international trade plunged by more than 50%. Unemployment in the U.S. rose to 25% and in some countries rose as high as 33%.[6]
Cities around the world were hit hard, especially those dependent on heavy industry. Construction was virtually halted in many countries. Farming communities and rural areas suffered as crop prices fell by about 60%.[7][8][9] Facing plummeting demand with few alternative sources of jobs, areas dependent on primary sector industries such as mining and logging suffered the most.[10]

There are those who say 2008 is still with us....I am of the opinion that it is which would make it longer by comparison.

In any case the misinformation stems from an attempt to rank two financial catastrophes that are 79 years apart in order of severity. There are simply too many differences in the basic makeup of the economy to compare this basket of oranges with that basket of apples. 2008 was much worse and far deeper in terms of scope and value with the reverberations being felt throughout the entire civilized world and probably for 20 more years to come. What stopped it from becoming the global starvation onslaught that 1929 presented was the fact that the supply chain was 90 to 120 days deep unlike 29 where it was only 2 or 3 days deep. Great big effing difference there dude.... that was more function of technology than it was finances.

I don't deny that there was great suffering in 29.... But to say that it was worse than 2008 is non sequitur at best. The difference was the size of the machine not the depth of the calamity.

Jo

Last edited:
icon_rolleyes.gif

Show me GDP and unemployment figures from an recession worse than the Great Depression...

So I show you that there have been dozens of recessions over the years and you ignore that and demand GDP and unemployment figures? You're amusing. So who was the liar, Faun? Me...when I said there were dozens of recessions...or YOU when you called me deranged for saying that?
Lying con tool, I pointed out you're deranged for saying other recessions were as bad as the Great Depression, not for saying there have been dozens of recessions.

So prove your claim... show GDP and unemployment from another recession that was as bad as the great Depression.....

First of all there's a pretty big difference between a depression and a recession. Recessions are pretty much a naturally occurring process that accompanies macro growth. More or less unavoidable.
A depression on the other hand indicates that the fiat system used to achieve the previous growth period was probably a bubble with little to no asset underpinning that is undergoing a forced correction... Thank you very much John Maynard Keynes...

2008 actually dwarves the original great depression ding bat... The big difference between the two was the

The 29 crash represented a 400 billion wealth loss over the course of about 4 days. That was a total mosquito compared to the 50 to 70 trillion lost in the week long crash of 2008.

The 1929 crash lasted ten years, not one year like the 2008 crash. In the great depression, the GDP fell by 46% over 5 years before it started to rise again.

You are evidently badly misinformed as are all Trump supporters. Trump supporters will believe any lies Donald Trump tells them.

... The Great Depression started in the United States after a major fall in stock prices that began around September 4, 1929, and became worldwide news with the stock market crash of October 29, 1929, (known as Black Tuesday). Between 1929 and 1932, worldwide gross domestic product (GDP) fell by an estimated 15%. By comparison, worldwide GDP fell by less than 1% from 2008 to 2009 during the Great Recession.[4] Some economies started to recover by the mid-1930s. However, in many countries, the negative effects of the Great Depression lasted until the beginning of World War II.[5]
The Great Depression had devastating effects in countries both rich and poor. Personal income, tax revenue, profits and prices dropped, while international trade plunged by more than 50%. Unemployment in the U.S. rose to 25% and in some countries rose as high as 33%.[6]
Cities around the world were hit hard, especially those dependent on heavy industry. Construction was virtually halted in many countries. Farming communities and rural areas suffered as crop prices fell by about 60%.[7][8][9] Facing plummeting demand with few alternative sources of jobs, areas dependent on primary sector industries such as mining and logging suffered the most.[10]

There are those who say 2008 is still with us....I am of the opinion that it is which would make it longer by comparison.

In any case the misinformation stems from an attempt to rank two financial catastrophes that are 79 years apart in order of severity. There are simply too many differences in the basic makeup of the economy to compare this basket of oranges with that basket of apples. 2008 was much worse and far deeper in terms of scope and value with the reverberations being felt throughout the entire civilized world and probably for 20 more years to come. What stopped it from becoming the global starvation onslaught that 1929 presented was the fact that the supply chain was 90 to 120 days deep unlike 29 where it was only 2 or 3 days deep. Great big effing difference there dude.... that was more function of technology than it was finances.

I don't deny that there was great suffering in 29.... But to say that it was worse than 2008 is non sequitur at best. The difference was the size of the machine not the depth of the calamity.

Jo

Trumpists are one-dimensional. Thick!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Jo
Words have meaning, even if you don't understand them...

depression

What Is a Depression?

A depression is a severe and prolonged downturn in economic activity. In economics, a depression is commonly defined as an extreme recession that lasts three or more years or leads to a decline in real gross domestic product (GDP) of at least 10 percent.​

(emphasis added to highlight your ignorance)

Feel free to quote the economists who determined Bush's Great Recession was really a depression...

Probably more of a flight to a good hedge while the US/China trade war goes on.

The same thing was said in 2017 when Treasury yields tanked
Normally if treasuries drop people will simply shift to funds. Which is what happened in 16-17.
There is a distinct difference between a yield dropping and a market collapsing...if countries dump their assets in US securities the market will crash. If the market crashes the fed will forces to restrict liquidity by drastically raising rates...we all know what will happen then...

If the market crashes the fed will forces to restrict liquidity by drastically raising rates...we all know what will happen then...

The Fed will drastically raise rates and restrict liquidity after a market crash? Dude!!!
Probably more of a flight to a good hedge while the US/China trade war goes on.

The same thing was said in 2017 when Treasury yields tanked
Normally if treasuries drop people will simply shift to funds. Which is what happened in 16-17.
There is a distinct difference between a yield dropping and a market collapsing...if countries dump their assets in US securities the market will crash. If the market crashes the fed will forces to restrict liquidity by drastically raising rates...we all know what will happen then...

If the market crashes the fed will forces to restrict liquidity by drastically raising rates...we all know what will happen then...

The Fed will drastically raise rates and restrict liquidity after a market crash? Dude!!!
The DOW's up 2,300 points since you posted that.
Hope all republican scum were short

We're not, know why? Because we're responsible people.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Jo

Well it would have to be worse because general consensus is that the recession is a short phase and things rebound in a short period of time. The amount of time and how wide spread is it is significant factors that come into play. So Town C could be in a recession whereas Town D is not

Still it has to continuous with multiple recession hitting in a row that spread to other areas

Thus depression is defined as a serious of recessions that happen for a longer period of time (the great depression lasted 10 year according to economist) which by the definition is a serious of recessions

Also the number of people in unemployment based on a percentage (30 percent) factors into the equation.and GDP reaches a certain number.

So if some say as you do that there still in a recession since 2008 then we would be in a depression

And no one says that

Recession do happen and it could be very localized but it does not mean the whole country is in a recession

The great depression is said to have had 12 million unemployed with a 25 percent unemployment rate

In the great repression it got no hire than 9 % and by 2016 it was 4.7% and
GDP had similar numbers

No way that the recession is still gone on to the point that it will effect national numbers.

Even if town c had a high unemployment rate it still is nowhere near depression levels

So to sum it up a depression is considered a serious of recession that hit for a significant amount of time

If US has 30 percent unemployment rate under Obama

yeah then Donald Duck could have been elected president for life

so in simpler terms the posting of a speed limit
once a driver reaches a certain speed then its defined as speeding

Now you can get away with speeding but if a cop see ya then you will have to explain to the officer why you were speeding

but but officer, if it was 1930 then it wouldn't be speeding

Thus I can see why you would support the ideal that the recession is still ongoing because it would bolster your initial claim

Last edited:

Jo

Well it would have to be worse because general consensus is that the recession is a short phase and things rebound in a short period of time. The amount of time and how wide spread is it is significant factors that come into play. So Town C could be in a recession whereas Town D is not

Still it has to continuous with multiple recession hitting in a row that spread to other areas

Thus depression is defined as a serious of recessions that happen for a longer period of time (the great depression lasted 10 year according to economist) which by the definition is a serious of recessions

Also the number of people in unemployment based on a percentage (30 percent) factors into the equation.and GDP reaches a certain number.

So if some say as you do that there still in a recession since 2008 then we would be in a depression

And no one says that

Recession do happen and it could be very localized but it does not mean the whole country is in a recession

The great depression is said to have had 12 million unemployed with a 25 percent unemployment rate

GDP had similar numbers

No way that the recession is still gone on to the point that it will effect national numbers.

Even if town c had a high unemployment rate it still is nowhere near depression levels

So to sum it up a depression is considered a serious of recession that hit for a significant amount of time

Now you can get away with speeding but if a cop see ya then you will have to explain to the officer why you were speeding

Thus I can see why you would support the ideal that the recession is still ongoing because it would bolster your initial claim

The currency correction is ongoing these 12 years hence.

Jo

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo
The inflation rate, overall, looks pretty stable over the last 35 years

fredgraph.png

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png

The consumer price index flattened at the end of Obama's tenure and kicked up again during Trump's tenure.

Consumer price inflation during 2 years of Trump's tenure is up 5.5% which is probably more than wages have risen.

Donald Trump and his family should empty their pockets before they are evicted from the White House.

Federal debt is rising at 2.5x the annual GDP rise during Donald Trump's tenure.

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items in U.S. City Average

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png

The consumer price index flattened at the end of Obama's tenure and kicked up again during Trump's tenure.

Consumer price inflation during 2 years of Trump's tenure is up 5.5% which is probably more than wages have risen.

Donald Trump and his family should empty their pockets before they are evicted from the White House.

Federal debt is rising at 2.5x the annual GDP rise during Donald Trump's tenure.

Wages rose more than inflation.

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png

Not true. Minimum wages are rising and this skews the data. The middle class wage is stagnant and the wage scales are being compressed from the bottom.

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png

Not true. Minimum wages are rising and this skews the data. The middle class wage is stagnant and the wage scales are being compressed from the bottom.

Minimum wages are rising and this skews the data.

The bottom 2% of the pay scale isn't skewing anything.

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png
Actually income growth fell through Obama's last two years while inflation turned up in his last year.

fredgraph.png

...Consumer price inflation during 2 years of Trump's tenure is up 5.5% which is probably more than wages have risen...

Actually wages are up nicely under Trump and well above inflation.

fredgraph.png

... Federal debt is rising at 2.5x the annual GDP rise during Donald Trump's tenure...
Obama's last two years are below.

fredgraph.png

In Obama's final year, GDP came in at $18.7B while the Debt was $20.4B

Over Trump's first two years he has narrowed that spread quite a bit.

fredgraph.png

Last year GDP came in at $20.6B while the debt was $21.3% So we are moving in the riht direction, but of course, more work needs to be done.

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

continue and make a point

the Trump recession will lead to the Trump election collapse in 2020. look at the data by Nate Silver!
Go Nate Go! Don't let your obvious leftwing induced stupidity stop you from saying the next dumb thing that pops into your head:

1. David Burge‏ @iowahawkblog 15h15 hours ago

David Burge Retweeted Nate Silver

2008 Iowa Democratic Caucus winner Barack Obama could not be reached for comment

David Burge added,

Nate SilverVerified account @NateSilver538
    If the Democratic Party wants a field that's representative of its members and its voters, it probably shouldn't have two states as white as Iowa and New Hampshire vote first every year.
    21 replies166 retweets750 likes

Trump's recession is gearing up.

U.S. Stocks Drop as Treasurys Flash Warning Signal

"Trade tensions between the U.S. and China, uncertainty about the Federal Reserve’s interest-rate policy and signs of slowing economic growth have spurred weeks of turbulence that have rippled through the stock, bond and currency markets. In the Treasury market, the yield on the U.S. 30-year Treasury note touched 2.018%, below the previous intraday low of 2.094% in July 2016, according to Tradeweb.

Meanwhile, yields on the 10-year Treasury note briefly fell below two-year yields for the first time since 2007. This kind of inversion between short and long-term yields is viewed by many as a strong signal that a recession is likely in the future.""

The federal government has broken yet another record for how much money it's spending
"The federal government has spent more real money in the first seven months of this fiscal year than any other year in U.S. history, according to the latest monthly statement by the Department of Treasury. The previous record was set in 2011, when the U.S. was recuperating from the Great Recession."

Mark this up as another failure of Trump's, so many now.
Trump's "failure"? U6 is at 25 year lows, wages are up nicely, inflation is nicely modest, and the Stock Market is UP almost 3,000 points since you posted this.

Santa Claus Rally Here We Come!

Up almost 30% since last Christmas Eve. Trump's gonna win This War On Christmas!

fredgraph.png

Jo

fredgraph.png

Hmm, higher wages are pretty worthless if everything costs more at a similar rate.

July in Trump’s Economy: Real Wages Fell, Consumer Prices Rose, More Workers Laid Off - Democrats

Jo

And no one says that

GDP had similar numbers

Jo

fredgraph.png

According to this since 1998 the American economy looks pretty shotty.

Wage Growth Tracker - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta

Capitalism is collapsing, just like Communism did.

fredgraph.png

Hmm, higher wages are pretty worthless if everything costs more at a similar rate.

July in Trump’s Economy: Real Wages Fell, Consumer Prices Rose, More Workers Laid Off - Democrats

The Trump economy is bogus and is predicated on rising government debt.

The budget deficit ~ 5% of GDP and government debt growth ~ 5% of GDP is growing faster than the GDP which is currently around 1.9% growth.

There is an underlying inflationary pressure which will burst out soon. It is already evident in rent increases and growing homelessness.

Trump's recession is gearing up.

U.S. Stocks Drop as Treasurys Flash Warning Signal

"Trade tensions between the U.S. and China, uncertainty about the Federal Reserve’s interest-rate policy and signs of slowing economic growth have spurred weeks of turbulence that have rippled through the stock, bond and currency markets. In the Treasury market, the yield on the U.S. 30-year Treasury note touched 2.018%, below the previous intraday low of 2.094% in July 2016, according to Tradeweb.

Meanwhile, yields on the 10-year Treasury note briefly fell below two-year yields for the first time since 2007. This kind of inversion between short and long-term yields is viewed by many as a strong signal that a recession is likely in the future.""

The federal government has broken yet another record for how much money it's spending
"The federal government has spent more real money in the first seven months of this fiscal year than any other year in U.S. history, according to the latest monthly statement by the Department of Treasury. The previous record was set in 2011, when the U.S. was recuperating from the Great Recession."

Mark this up as another failure of Trump's, so many now.
You feature a homophobic cartoon as part of your post.

fredgraph.png

Under Trump, Wage gains are finally outpacing inflation.

fredgraph.png

Forum List

Back