The Negro national anthem

"Yet in 1814 Key's lyric honored American soldiers both black and white. "The Star-Spangled Banner" celebrates the heroes who defended Fort McHenry in the face of almost certain defeat against the most powerful gunships of the era. America's soldiers included mainly whites, but also free and escaped blacks. Escaped slave William Williams served in the US infantry at Fort McHenry and was killed by a fragment of a British bomb. Another escaped slave, Charles Ball, writes in his memoirs of being among the American soldiers of the Chesapeake Bay Flotilla who courageously repelled a night attack and saved the city. "The Star-Spangled Banner" thus honors American military heroes, black and white, without regard to race. In this respect, "The Star-Spangled Banner" is not racist."

'Star-Spangled Banner' critics miss the point - CNN

Hollerin' that the National Anthem is racist is pure retardedness.

"Yet in 1814 Key's lyric honored American soldiers both black and white. "The Star-Spangled Banner" celebrates the heroes who defended Fort McHenry in the face of almost certain defeat against the most powerful gunships of the era. America's soldiers included mainly whites, but also free and escaped blacks. Escaped slave William Williams served in the US infantry at Fort McHenry and was killed by a fragment of a British bomb. Another escaped slave, Charles Ball, writes in his memoirs of being among the American soldiers of the Chesapeake Bay Flotilla who courageously repelled a night attack and saved the city. "The Star-Spangled Banner" thus honors American military heroes, black and white, without regard to race. In this respect, "The Star-Spangled Banner" is not racist."

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave"

I always hated the national anthem and once I saw the racist part I had a good excuse as to why.

Well, they picked the wrong side, huh? Had to bail or get killed by Americans. Maybe they shouldn't have signed up with the British?

Well, they picked the wrong side, huh? Had to bail or get killed by Americans. Maybe they shouldn't have signed up with the British?
Racist whites always think that picking freedom is wrong if you are Black.

It didn't work out so good for many of them. I can see where they were coming from, but the Brits lost, deal with it. Some did gain their freedom, but not in America. Not that there weren't free blacks in America or black slaveowners, even. They just had to go, they fought for the Brits, the Brits had to get them out of the country, as well as themselves.

It didn't work out so good for many of them. I can see where they were coming from, but the Brits lost, deal with it. Some did gain their freedom, but not in America.
We are dealing with it by saying the Keyes anthem is racist. It literally celebrates the death of ex slaves.

Last edited:

It didn't work out so good for many of them. I can see where they were coming from, but the Brits lost, deal with it. Some did gain their freedom, but not in America.
We are dealing with it by saying the Keyes anthem is racist.

Which is based on pure ignorance.

Ignorance would be not knowing. We know Keyes was a racist and we know he celebrated the death of ex slaves in his song because he got his ass kicked by Black soldiers.

Sowing the seeds of division through music criticism, the Alt-Right way!

There is no mandate that any song be played. They could play all 17:40 of Inma Garda Divida at the home opener at PNC Park for all that's worth. It would be something to see 35,000 Pittsburghers standing for that long!

But it's Black History Month and Lift Every Voice and Sing is a great song, part of the American canon of sing. But some folks show all the tolerance of Klansmen and strut about it on message boards. All the while they are twenty years behind the times.

Ignorance would be not knowing. We know Keyes was a racist and we know he celebrated the death of ex slaves in his song because he got his ass kicked by Black soldiers.

Wat?! WTF? Nm, you're like the srs Republican types that fall for red meat satire sites.

You have any proof of any of that?

Wat?! WTF? Nm, you're like the srs Republican types that fall for red meat satire sites.

Proof of what?

Proof of what?

Keyes getting his ass kicked by black soldiers. I already know he wasn't a racist. He freed all the slaves he inherited except for one he gave a piece of land to and let retire. Soooo racist.

Not.

Proof of what?

Keyes getting his ass kicked by black soldiers. I already know he wasn't a racist. He freed all the slaves he inherited except for one he gave a piece of land to and let retire. Soooo racist.

Not.

Battle of Bladensburg. Keys thought Blacks were inferior Then he got his ass kicked by them. A short time later he wrote the national anthem celebrating the death of Blacks that kicked his ass.

Proof of what?

Not.

Battle of Bladensburg

Tomorrow.

Proof of what?

Not.

Battle of Bladensburg. Keys thought Blacks were inferior Then he got his ass kicked by them. A short time later he wrote the national anthem celebrating the death of Blacks that kicked his ass.

Most of the black soldiers fought for the losing side aka...the Brits................Roughly 5,000 men of African descent have been documented as serving in the forces of the Continental Army. Even more — an estimated 20,000 — joined the British war effort; enslaved black men were enticed with promises of freedom.

Proof of what?

Not.

Key purchased his first slave in 1800 or 1801 and owned six slaves in 1820. In the 1830s, Key manumitted (set free) some of his slaves one of whom (Clem Johnson) continued to work for him for wages as his farm's foreman, supervising several Negro slaves.

Throughout his career Key also represented several slaves seeking their freedom in court for free,

Key publicly criticized slavery's cruelties, so much that after his death a newspaper editorial stated "So actively hostile was he to the peculiar institution that he was called 'The N woid Lawyer' .... because he often volunteered to defend the downtrodden sons and daughters of Africa. Mr. Key convinced me that slavery was wrong—radically wrong." In June 1842, Key attended the funeral of William Costin, a free, mixed race resident who had challenged Washington's surety bond laws.

Key was a founding member and active leader of the American Colonization Society and its predecessor, the influential Maryland branch, the primary goal of which was to send free African-Americans back to Africa.

Perhaps this will help you...................
Duhaime's Law Dictionary

Nation Definition:
A distinct group or race of people that share history, traditions and culture.

Do all "negroes" share history, traditions and culture? I know "negroes" who are more "white" than I am.

Did anyone say 'ALL' I dare say ALL whites do not even celebrate Christmas. but one sees time and again on the boards the fallacious use of the 'all' argument.

Well, the use of the phrase "a distinct group or race of people" would seem to designate all.

Christmas is not a "white" tradition, but a Christian one. Many "negroes" also celebrate it.
Actually Christmas is not a christian tradition. Its a white pagan tradition.

It was culturally appropriated, and is now traditionally Christian.
Unless you're a Republican. While all Republicans I ever met said they are Christian, it's not "traditional" Christianity.

Traditional Christianity would help sick and disabled children.

A year ago, Paul Ryan's own church leaders condemned his budget.

A nun called out Paul Ryan on health care. His response was awkward.

Now that the Koch Brothers, two of the richest men on earth, got a 1.5 billion dollar tax cut, I wonder what the church thinks now?

I know what Republicans think. They think "good".
They never want to support this country. They only want to make laws that make it harder for everyone else.

The country has fragments falling off. Singing, standing or showing respect for the black national anthem should result in loss of welfare benefits. They aren't part of this country. Stop supporting them.

Do all "negroes" share history, traditions and culture? I know "negroes" who are more "white" than I am.

Did anyone say 'ALL' I dare say ALL whites do not even celebrate Christmas. but one sees time and again on the boards the fallacious use of the 'all' argument.

Well, the use of the phrase "a distinct group or race of people" would seem to designate all.

Christmas is not a "white" tradition, but a Christian one. Many "negroes" also celebrate it.
Actually Christmas is not a christian tradition. Its a white pagan tradition.

It was culturally appropriated, and is now traditionally Christian.
Unless you're a Republican. While all Republicans I ever met said they are Christian, it's not "traditional" Christianity.

Traditional Christianity would help sick and disabled children.

A year ago, Paul Ryan's own church leaders condemned his budget.

A nun called out Paul Ryan on health care. His response was awkward.

Now that the Koch Brothers, two of the richest men on earth, got a 1.5 billion dollar tax cut, I wonder what the church thinks now?

I know what Republicans think. They think "good".
They never want to support this country. They only want to make laws that make it harder for everyone else.

Shrug.

I'm not a Republican.

Forum List

Back