The "N" Word

The word ******, is only a big deal to *******
Racism! I am not allowed to say a word, just because I am white?

Oh, anybody can say whatever they want to say, you just have to accept the consequences. Saying anything with the intention to hurt or demean someone is not accepted by the majority of our society, and those who don't care are considered less educated and looked down on. Those who don't care and continue to use it should not be surprised at the backlash from the community.

Originally, the word "****" was a term of honor and respect.

Hate has changed the meaning of that word just as it has the word "******.

Originally, the word "****" was a term of honor and respect.

Hate has changed the meaning of that word just as it has the word "******.

I was unaware that ****** was ever used in ‘love and respect.’ I have some doubts that was ever the case.

Besides, ****** is not the problem. Say niggardly near someone and BAM! Your career is over :D Even though it has nothing to do with ******. And it is not derogatory. And it is does not carry negative racial connotations.

It is pretty sad when the fact that someone has a miniscule vocabulary can determine the words that others are able to use.

It's a term of endearment for black people and why it'd be impossible to regulate amongst society.

I don't know if you can say endearment, but I would say a way to kid with each other. You can't demean someone that is the same as yourself with such a word. But coming from a different group is a different matter.

I think there will always be prejudice, and once a word loses its punch, another one will take its place.

It's a term of endearment for black people and why it'd be impossible to regulate amongst society.

I don't know if you can say endearment, but I would say a way to kid with each other. You can't demean someone that is the same as yourself with such a word. But coming from a different group is a different matter.

Endearment or in-group word is a distinction without much difference, but you've properly assessed the linguistic dynamic. They do the same thing in Brazil, much more in fact, and it crosses racial lines (IOW the recipient need not be black to convey the concept) and we're starting to see that same evolution here among the young.

And in the big picture that's a good thing; the way to disarm a powerful word is by exposure. They don't survive in the daylight.

I think there will always be prejudice, and once a word loses its punch, another one will take its place.

Probably, but being further removed from the history it wouldn't have (we'd hope) the same degree of power.

Endearment or in-group word is a distinction without much difference, but you've properly assessed the linguistic dynamic. They do the same thing in Brazil, much more in fact, and it crosses racial lines (IOW the recipient need not be black to convey the concept) and we're starting to see that same evolution here among the young.

And in the big picture that's a good thing; the way to disarm a powerful word is by exposure. They don't survive in the daylight.

Probably, but being further removed from the history it wouldn't have (we'd hope) the same degree of power.

The words we consider offensive now will lose their power, but new ones will have power.

Dr Seus has a great book that demonstrates our society to a T.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3yJomUhs0g]Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches - Full Version - YouTube[/ame]

Using that word is a way of conveying almost limitless hatred. There are other words that are used to do the same thing that word is, by far and away, the worst.

Language changes. Future generations will understand how culturally loaded it was.

We know that now. That's why people use it against other people.

Then blacks must really hate blacks.

You realize a term can have multiple meanings, right?

I never use the N word against all black people. I use it only when a black person, a white, or an Hispanic lives down to that word pulling off some gangster shit. They only other time I would ever use it is comedy, sarcasm, or to make a point. Fact is, I don't know any *******, but I do know a lot good black people.

Since we know that the word is used by non-blacks to convey unlimited hate and contempt, its inexcusable for non-whites to use it.

Unless, of course, they do indeed wish to convey hate and contempt.

Because of the way non-blacks use it, its the filthiest word in our language.

[MENTION=21905]FA_Q2[/MENTION]
Words only have the power that they do because we let them. I cannot fathom why we react so strongly to words like ‘fuck’ rather than simply dismissing the people that cannot use such in a correct manner.

I disagree here.

Whether you believe the word has power or not, the person who is using the word DOES believe it has power, and it using it to express deep hatred, possibly a violent tendency to even attack you.

The moment I hear "******" directed at me (even though I'm a white Jew), I am prepared draw firearm in self-defense.

I wrote an article on something similar to this here on USMB

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/301487-the-dangers-of-ignoring-belief-systems.html

Last edited:
Since we know that the word is used by non-blacks to convey unlimited hate and contempt, its inexcusable for non-whites to use it.

Hypocrite much? Furthermore what exactly is "our language"?

Hypocrite much? Furthermore what exactly is "our language"?

Noting that we're on an English speaking message board, I'm going out of a limb and guessing English.

[MENTION=21905]FA_Q2[/MENTION]
Words only have the power that they do because we let them. I cannot fathom why we react so strongly to words like ‘fuck’ rather than simply dismissing the people that cannot use such in a correct manner.

I disagree here.

Whether you believe the word has power or not, the person who is using the word DOES believe it has power, and it using it to express deep hatred, possibly a violent tendency to even attack you.

The moment I hear "******" directed at me (even though I'm a white Jew), I am prepared draw firearm in self-defense.

I wrote an article on something similar to this here on USMB

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/301487-the-dangers-of-ignoring-belief-systems.html

The danger is not in the word but in the actions of the person using it who would do the same things if the word ****** was present or not. I think that you are misconstruing what I was getting at. The use of the word ****** is not what would cue me in on needing to defend myself anyway. It is the presence that the other person displays and the manner in which they are acting.

They could be completely silent and still convey the intent to harm. They could be yelling the word love and still do so. Use of the word usually just lets me know they are ignorant as well as dangerous.

I have had some experience in the etymology of the term "******", and here is what I have learned. It is probably the most offensive term in the English language as a term for a black person, and has become dramatically more so in the last thirty years. It first appears in English around 1640, imported from the French or Spanish words for "black". By the mid 1700's it had become a common but offensive term for black people.

"Negro" is literally the Spanish word for the color black, and when imported into English took on the meaning of a black person. Well into the latter parts of the twentieth century it was common to find scholarly works dividing humanity into Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid races. This was thought at the time to be both "scientific" and neutral, reflecting no value judgments.

I learned from an uncle born in 1900 that some American dialects (in his case Wabash valley) had trouble enunciating "Negro" and substituted for it "Nigra". This offshoot was considered by its speakers as the equivalent of "Negro" and without offensive intent, but inevitably its closeness to "******" caused it to be treated by many as highly offensive.

From my childhood I have always had a foot in the black community in the Midwest and in the early 70's I taught at an historically black college and lived on campus. The term "******" was used in the black community very commonly and they regarded its usage in a wide range of contexts. It was always considered inappropriate to use in formal or polite situations, in church, around elders, in front of white people, etc. Sometimes it was used as a joking or mildly derogatory term among blacks in private. When used by white people it almost always was considered offensive, although children were taught from an early age to not take visible exception to white racism because of the Emmitt Till-type consequences. And of course from the 60's on the word acquired some shock value and began to be used gratuitously by black people for that effect.

There is another use of the word "******" commonly used by educated blacks and which I found impossible to avoid in teaching. There are a number of cultural terms with no substitute that involve the word: CNIC (chief ****** in charge), "playing ******", "playing dumb ******", "****** hunting", "******-lover", and so forth.

Of course there are bound to be local and regional variations, and I suspect I have hit only a few high points (or low points!). My experience is that white people should be very careful in using these terms, use them only with black people they know well enough to know if they would be offended, and never to use the words in a group of only white people.

Peace all.

I have had some experience in the etymology of the term "******", and here is what I have learned. It is probably the most offensive term in the English language as a term for a black person, and has become dramatically more so in the last thirty years. It first appears in English around 1640, imported from the French or Spanish words for "black". By the mid 1700's it had become a common but offensive term for black people.

"Negro" is literally the Spanish word for the color black, and when imported into English took on the meaning of a black person. Well into the latter parts of the twentieth century it was common to find scholarly works dividing humanity into Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid races. This was thought at the time to be both "scientific" and neutral, reflecting no value judgments.

I learned from an uncle born in 1900 that some American dialects (in his case Wabash valley) had trouble enunciating "Negro" and substituted for it "Nigra". This offshoot was considered by its speakers as the equivalent of "Negro" and without offensive intent, but inevitably its closeness to "******" caused it to be treated by many as highly offensive.

From my childhood I have always had a foot in the black community in the Midwest and in the early 70's I taught at an historically black college and lived on campus. The term "******" was used in the black community very commonly and they regarded its usage in a wide range of contexts. It was always considered inappropriate to use in formal or polite situations, in church, around elders, in front of white people, etc. Sometimes it was used as a joking or mildly derogatory term among blacks in private. When used by white people it almost always was considered offensive, although children were taught from an early age to not take visible exception to white racism because of the Emmitt Till-type consequences. And of course from the 60's on the word acquired some shock value and began to be used gratuitously by black people for that effect.

There is another use of the word "******" commonly used by educated blacks and which I found impossible to avoid in teaching. There are a number of cultural terms with no substitute that involve the word: CNIC (chief ****** in charge), "playing ******", "playing dumb ******", "****** hunting", "******-lover", and so forth.

Of course there are bound to be local and regional variations, and I suspect I have hit only a few high points (or low points!). My experience is that white people should be very careful in using these terms, use them only with black people they know well enough to know if they would be offended, and never to use the words in a group of only white people.

Peace all.

How about the etymology of the word "offensive?"

Peace all.

How about the etymology of the word "offensive?"

What do you consider offensive about the post?

Forum List

Back