The "N" Word

Nothing offensive about the post. I was wondering why the N word "is probably the most offensive word in the English language." Offensive language used to be judged by objective measures (e.g., fighting words). Now it is judged by the emotional state of the listener. How and why has this occurred?

00E0E_elPBLdRCVSe_600x450.jpg

And then you whine when they call you racist. Bwahwahaaaaahhhhhh

I think we are getting somewhere: The "N" word is actually a psychological device to determine emotional disturbance in the listener.

Using that word is a way of conveying almost limitless hatred. There are other words that are used to do the same thing that word is, by far and away, the worst.

Language changes. Future generations will understand how culturally loaded it was.

We know that now. That's why people use it against other people.

Then blacks must really hate blacks.

You realize a term can have multiple meanings, right?

You realize that if something offends you that you allowed it to offend you. Sticks and stones......

Where do you live & who are your neighbors? My neighbors are the people of Ferguson, MO. I had lunch in Ferguson 7 times during & since the riots & looting. I dare you to live there.

What do you think future generations will think of this taboo term? Is it a word or a sound? Is it banned only in the U.S. or all English speaking countries? How about non-English countries? Are there equivalent terms which are banned? What does it mean, anyway? Is its acceptable use limited to one's genetic background? If so, what percentage of preferred genetic traits is required for licensure? Or is it vice versa?

I think future generations will think we have lost our minds...

As I understand it, it used to be a 'legit' word. Meaning 'dirty.'

****** (n.) Look up ****** at Dictionary.com
1786, earlier neger (1568, Scottish and northern England dialect), from French nègre, from Spanish negro (see Negro). From the earliest usage it was "the term that carries with it all the obloquy and contempt and rejection which whites have inflicted on blacks" [cited in Gowers, 1965, probably Harold R. Isaacs]. But as black inferiority was at one time a near universal assumption in English-speaking lands, the word in some cases could be used without deliberate insult. More sympathetic writers late 18c. and early 19c. seem to have used black (n.) and, after the American Civil War, colored person.

"You're a fool ******, and the worst day's work Pa ever did was to buy you," said Scarlett slowly. ... There, she thought, I've said "******" and Mother wouldn't like that at all. [Margaret Mitchell, "Gone With the Wind," 1936]

Also applied by English settlers to dark-skinned native peoples in India, Australia, Polynesia. The reclamation of the word as a neutral or positive term in black culture (not universally regarded as a worthwhile enterprise), often with a suggestion of "soul" or "style," is attested first in the U.S. South, later (1968) in the Northern, urban-based Black Power movement.

Used in combinations (such as ******-brown) since 1840s for various dark brown or black hues or objects; euphemistic substitutions (such as Zulu) began to appear in these senses c.1917. Brazil nuts were called ****** toes by 1896. Variant niggah, attested from 1925 (without the -h, from 1969), is found usually in situations where blacks use the word. Nigra (1944), on the other hand, in certain uses reflects a pronunciation of negro meant to suggest ******, and is thus deemed (according to a 1960 slang dictionary) "even more derog[atory] than '******.' " Slang phrase ****** in the woodpile attested by 1800; "A mode of accounting for the disappearance of fuel; an unsolved mystery" [R.H. Thornton, "American Glossary," 1912]. ****** heaven "the top gallery in a (segregated) theater" first attested 1878 in reference to Troy, N.Y.
niggerhead (n.) Look up niggerhead at Dictionary.com
from ****** + head. A term used formerly in U.S. of various things, such as "cheap tobacco" (1843), "protruding root mass in a swamp" (1859), a type of cactus (1877), and the black-eyed susan (1893). Variant negro-head attested from 1781.
Online Etymology Dictionary

As I wrote in a thread in the Racism group about our usage of the word, if N-word means "******" then isn't "N-word" every bit as offensive?

...Just noticed the auto-censor. Ya, that makes sense. If you look at the first few replies on page 1, apparently "fuck" is ok, but "n-word" gets censored? How can you have a polite discussion about a word if you're censoring that word? By that logic, as is now being done on tv, you should censor all names refering to God or Jesus when used as expletives or exclamations.

Where do you live & who are your neighbors? My neighbors are the people of Ferguson, MO. I had lunch in Ferguson 7 times during & since the riots & looting. I dare you to live there.

What makes you think Mertex couldn't live there?
I didn't say Mertex couldn't live there. Mertex should choose or desire to live there before calling someone else racist.

Growing up, I knew n***** as an expression of extreme contempt. I know it's just a word, that meanings vary with situations, but I still can't bring myself to say it in real life. I don't like hearing others say them, either - black or white. I think it's a sign of bad upbringing.

There's so much loaded history with that particular word, but I have it on teenage authority that young people are saying it, in mixed racial situations, without repercussions. Something my old ass will never do. So perhaps it is losing its sting.

By the way, I don't mind typing it, in quotes, but I don't know if it's allowed on this site. It seems not.

What makes you think Mertex couldn't live there?
I didn't say Mertex couldn't live there. Mertex should choose or desire to live there before calling someone else racist.

Doesn't he have a right to his opinion as you have the right to yours?

You dared him to live there as if a person would have to be brave to live in such a place. That town isn't any different than any other town that's' predominately black. I'm guessing you live there because it's cheaper than most other places around St Louis.

Growing up, I knew n***** as an expression of extreme contempt. I know it's just a word, that meanings vary with situations, but I still can't bring myself to say it in real life. I don't like hearing others say them, either - black or white. I think it's a sign of bad upbringing.

There's so much loaded history with that particular word, but I have it on teenage authority that young people are saying it, in mixed racial situations, without repercussions. Something my old ass will never do. So perhaps it is losing its sting.

By the way, I don't mind typing it, in quotes, but I don't know if it's allowed on this site. It seems not.

You must be young.

Don't mind typing it but didn't.

You must be young.

I guess young is relative. I didn't type it, because it seems not to be allowed here.

Didn't I just write that?

You must be young.

I guess young is relative. I didn't type it, because it seems not to be allowed here.

Didn't I just write that?

No. You said " but I don't know if it's allowed on this site", quite different from " it seems not to be allowed here".

Using the word "******" has been allowed to the best of my knowledge on here as long as it's not in the context of attacking or insulting someone. But then again, rules have known to change.

I see my use of the word was censored. What country are we living in when free speech is censored!

This is troubling.

I hate to be nitpicky, but here goes:

I typed in my first post, "I don't know if it's allowed on this site. It seems not."

I typed in my second post, "it seems not to be allowed here."

There's no substantial difference.

As far as your (or my) freedom of speech being censored, this isn't a street corner. Presumably, someone owns the site, and can limit the speech that goes on here. Like you could in your own house.

You must be young.

Condescending, contrary or what?

What do you think future generations will think of this taboo term? Is it a word or a sound? Is it banned only in the U.S. or all English speaking countries? How about non-English countries? Are there equivalent terms which are banned? What does it mean, anyway? Is its acceptable use limited to one's genetic background? If so, what percentage of preferred genetic traits is required for licensure? Or is it vice versa?

I think future generations will think we have lost our minds...

Which one? The term negro or the slur? Slurs are what they are and always will be nothing more than derogatory terms used to insult others. As to the term negro, there's nothing wrong with using it.

Forum List

Back