The "N" Word

What do you think future generations will think of this taboo term? Is it a word or a sound? Is it banned only in the U.S. or all English speaking countries? How about non-English countries? Are there equivalent terms which are banned? What does it mean, anyway? Is its acceptable use limited to one's genetic background? If so, what percentage of preferred genetic traits is required for licensure? Or is it vice versa?

I think future generations will think we have lost our minds...
You're wrong, future generations will correctly perceive you and others on the right as being ignorant.

The word '******' is not banned in the United States, you're at liberty to use it however you want, to maintain otherwise is idiocy.

'******' means subhuman or non-human, where it was used to justify slavery and assuage the guilt of slaveholders, where if African-Americans aren't human, then slavery is not immoral.

Consequently the word is deeply offensive.

I hate to be nitpicky, but here goes:

I typed in my first post, "I don't know if it's allowed on this site. It seems not."

I typed in my second post, "it seems not to be allowed here."

There's no substantial difference.

As far as your (or my) freedom of speech being censored, this isn't a street corner. Presumably, someone owns the site, and can limit the speech that goes on here. Like you could in your own house.

I wouldn't limit speech of any sort. Too many have sacrificed their lives for that right as well as many other rights we seem to be losing everyday.

Growing up, I knew n***** as an expression of extreme contempt. I know it's just a word, that meanings vary with situations, but I still can't bring myself to say it in real life. I don't like hearing others say them, either - black or white. I think it's a sign of bad upbringing.

There's so much loaded history with that particular word, but I have it on teenage authority that young people are saying it, in mixed racial situations, without repercussions. Something my old ass will never do. So perhaps it is losing its sting.

By the way, I don't mind typing it, in quotes, but I don't know if it's allowed on this site. It seems not.

You must be young.

Don't mind typing it but didn't.

Condescending, contrary or what?

Curiousity

What do you think future generations will think of this taboo term? Is it a word or a sound? Is it banned only in the U.S. or all English speaking countries? How about non-English countries? Are there equivalent terms which are banned? What does it mean, anyway? Is its acceptable use limited to one's genetic background? If so, what percentage of preferred genetic traits is required for licensure? Or is it vice versa?

You're wrong, future generations will correctly perceive you and others on the right as being ignorant.

The word '******' is not banned in the United States, you're at liberty to use it however you want, to maintain otherwise is idiocy.

'******' means subhuman or non-human, where it was used to justify slavery and assuage the guilt of slaveholders, where if African-Americans aren't human, then slavery is not immoral.

It doesn't offend me.

Then why is it apparently ok, even considered as friendly by some groups of blacks when used between themselves? Is it possible that some words have multiple meanings, and context matters?

Then why is it apparently ok, even considered as friendly by some groups of blacks when used between themselves? Is it possible that some words have multiple meanings, and context matters?

Could be

Or it could be that blacks are over in the corner laughing that they have stupid white liberals fighting to ban a word that they aren't offended over.

I would contend this IS the case when you look at things like the Washington Redskins where native AMericans almost in unison are telling people that the name is not offensive to them and that they like being associated with the team, but stupid dogooder have to run out and make it seem like the word redskin is offensive anyway.

Moral of the story. Stupid Dogooders need to get a job.

And then you whine when they call you racist. Bwahwahaaaaahhhhhh
Where do you live & who are your neighbors? My neighbors are the people of Ferguson, MO. I had lunch in Ferguson 7 times during & since the riots & looting. I dare you to live there.

I live in Texas surrounded by conservatives and I don't hold that against them.

Using that word is a way of conveying almost limitless hatred. There are other words that are used to do the same thing that word is, by far and away, the worst.

Language changes. Future generations will understand how culturally loaded it was.

We know that now. That's why people use it against other people.

And then you whine when they call you racist. Bwahwahaaaaahhhhhh
Where do you live & who are your neighbors? My neighbors are the people of Ferguson, MO. I had lunch in Ferguson 7 times during & since the riots & looting. I dare you to live there.

What makes you think Mertex couldn't live there?
I didn't say Mertex couldn't live there. Mertex should choose or desire to live there before calling someone else racist.

Your poster indicates that you don't want to consider them neighbors, but everyone is our neighbor.

1. Please define "offensive" and your specific application of the term. Are you personally offended? If so, why? If not, to whom are you referring?

2. Does it depend on the state of mind of the offended party? if so, does it indicate some sort of emotional disturbance? Why are some people offended while others are not?

3. Is the correct therapy for emotional disturbance insulation from offensive terms or learning that they have no power over you unless you give them that power?

1. Please define "offensive" and your specific application of the term. Are you personally offended? If so, why? If not, to whom are you referring?

When the word is used as invective or in a disparaging sense it is a member of a class of words which I find personally offensive.

2. Does it depend on the state of mind of the offended party?

No.

3. Is the correct therapy for emotional disturbance insulation from offensive terms or learning that they have no power over you unless you give them that power?

The proper response is to treat the person using such language for what they are; a person lacking in common courtesy and intellectual honesty, to be held up for the public derision they so richly deserve. I'm sure their mothers are proud of their word choice.

When the word is used as invective or in a disparaging sense it is a member of a class of words which I find personally offensive.

No.

The proper response is to treat the person using such language for what they are; a person lacking in common courtesy and intellectual honesty, to be held up for the public derision they so richly deserve. I'm sure their mothers are proud of their word choice.

word choice does not indicate intellectual dishonesty.

I use the word myself on occasion to describe a certain subset of black people. It is exactly no different than using the word redneck to describe a certain subset of white people.

Or do you not consider redneck to be an offensive term
Or do you just not care if whites are offended

No.

I use the word myself on occasion to describe a certain subset of black people. It is exactly no different than using the word redneck to describe a certain subset of white people.

You can call me red-neck, or cracker, or rebel... I won't be offended in the least.

No.

You can call me red-neck, or cracker, or rebel... I won't be offended in the least.

I'm faux offended for you, so that makes those terms unacceptable. isn't that how it works?

Nor would I. I actually prefer cracker because it let's me know if the speaker is even worth listening to. Same with ****** - if that's the term that you need to use then you are likely not intelligent enough to bother with a serious conversation.

Red neck is different. I don't see the inherent derogatory reference in red neck. I do with ****** or cracker as with many others.

No.

I'm faux offended for you, so that makes those terms unacceptable. isn't that how it works?

There needs to be a monetary or political reason for you to be offended. Otherwise your faux is wasted.

For example, if you were trying to get a tea party candidate elected you could accuse his political opponent or his entire political party of being supporting calling the voters red-necks, crackers, and rebels. See, that's how it works.

Nor would I. I actually prefer cracker because it let's me know if the speaker is even worth listening to. Same with ****** - if that's the term that you need to use then you are likely not intelligent enough to bother with a serious conversation.

Red neck is different. I don't see the inherent derogatory reference in red neck. I do with ****** or cracker as with many others.

This is an incorrect assumption. I consider myself to be at least moderately intelligent , but sometimes use the word, yes expressly to degrade in order to make a point. It's not that I'm not intelligent, it's that the use of the word makes my point better than any other word would

You want a sign of low intelligence, look at people who get offended over a sports team's name.

No.

There needs to be a monetary or political reason for you to be offended. Otherwise your faux is wasted.

For example, if you were trying to get a tea party candidate elected you could accuse his political opponent or his entire political party of being supporting calling the voters red-necks, crackers, and rebels. See, that's how it works.

oh, see I'm just not very good at pretending to care about shit that matters to no one.

Forum List

Back