The mindset of the typical message board poster

I realize this is off topic. (although related)

Is it normal for someone to be run off the forum for having objectionable positions? I don't know how this whole rep thing works, but I'm being hammered.

I assumed this was a way to get rid of trash posters, not get rid of those who disagree with you.

Is it normal for someone to be run off the forum for having objectionable positions? I don't know how this whole rep thing works, but I'm being hammered.

I assumed this was a way to get rid of trash posters, not get rid of those who disagree with you.

this should help you figure it out some
http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

no one gets run off. Its a posters choice to leave or not.

rep is not meant to get rid of anyone...... its a peer review system.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

Ahh okay. I understand.

Thank you.

Most people who have negative rep work really hard to get it...others just come by it naturally. Which usually means you have a gift or are a troll.

I remember one Poster that went ballistic if you gave him Pos Reps. He really liked those Red Badges. I kept pos'ing them away, until we came to an understanding.

Most people who have negative rep work really hard to get it...others just come by it naturally. Which usually means you have a gift or are a troll.

Feel free to read my post. I'm reasonably sure I am not a troll. :)

Ahh okay. I understand.

Thank you.
And, if you don't like the rep system, you can PM and administrator here (names in red) and ask to "opt out of rep". That means you cannot receive any rep, nor can you give any rep. It also means that you cannot see what sort of rep others have.

Last edited:

Feel free to read my post. I'm reasonably sure I am not a troll. :)

It'll be a learning experience for all of us then.

Don't know much about trolls. Except that they seem to really crave any form of attention. Isn't that why that take such outlandish positions at times? Just to get the attention.

I have heard that some may be paid trolls. Think there's any truth to that?

Check's in the mail dude.
Fixed.

Hey, as long as we're gonna lie to each other..........you probably know what I won't do.
And black is beautiful.

I wish I got paid for bullshitting on line. Where do I apply?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about trolls. Except that they seem to really crave any form of attention. Isn't that why that take such outlandish positions at times? Just to get the attention.

I have heard that some may be paid trolls. Think there's any truth to that?

Hey, as long as we're gonna lie to each other..........you probably know what I won't do.
And black is beautiful.

My first guess would be learn the quote function.

Last edited:
I think the reason that a lot of people spend so much time on here arguing the inconsequential toss is the anticipation of their CP occasionally flashing green, notifying them of a rep message that does or doesn't offer praise for insight contained within a post the recipient of said rep is proud of or thinks deserving of praise, however private that praise may be. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Last edited:
you do realize that his post is mostly a self portrait dont you? [/COLOR]

If so, this is the perfect place to work out and come to terms with this very issue -
of denial and projection. That's even better. Perfect!

* When you realize the process is MUTUAL, and that you are doing it too, that is the first AHA - that the part you can do something
about is your responsibility and your half of the problem (instead of projecting it onto others).

When you realize your willingness to change is connected with and can influence the equivalent change in the other person in the conflict, that is the second AHA - that you can change others by changing your perception and commitment first (instead of feeling hopeless and believing things outside yourself need to change first before you can, when it's simultaneous).

And when you realize whatever changes there is connected with all other relations and humanity, and has a collective effect
like a chain reaction, where the change is simultaneous/correlated over time and space (not limited by linear perception of time) that is the final AHA - that changes happens in tandem, connecting individiual and collective experience as one in the same process.
(also called interconnectedness or oneness with all humanity and all creation in process of restoring natural harmony as a whole)

Been reading your posts. You get a lot out of a message board. That's for sure.
Me, I just like to argue politics and fuk with people sometimes. Not always in a mean way, but being snarky and smart ass, cause nothing I say is gonna change anyones mind about shit. Just typing on a screen. But I try not to make it (attacks) to personal. I don't want to provoke someone to back track an ISP address and show up with their AR15. You don't know who's lurking out there. Some of them gun nuts have been defending the 2nd amend. non stop for days now. They are starting to lose it. Some may have already shot their computer screen in frustration and rage.

But really, the best thing is to write something that makes a person you don't know, laugh out loud. That's about the best I hope for when writing on a message board.

Little more laughing, little less hating.

And black is beautiful.

Is that really important? Becaue it has been a mystery to me. Put me on ignore if that makes it better. Cause I won't figure that sucker out. Quote me on that.

you do realize that his post is mostly a self portrait dont you? [/COLOR]

If so, this is the perfect place to work out and come to terms with this very issue -
of denial and projection. That's even better. Perfect!

* When you realize the process is MUTUAL, and that you are doing it too, that is the first AHA - that the part you can do something
about is your responsibility and your half of the problem (instead of projecting it onto others).

When you realize your willingness to change is connected with and can influence the equivalent change in the other person in the conflict, that is the second AHA - that you can change others by changing your perception and commitment first (instead of feeling hopeless and believing things outside yourself need to change first before you can, when it's simultaneous).

And when you realize whatever changes there is connected with all other relations and humanity, and has a collective effect
like a chain reaction, where the change is simultaneous/correlated over time and space (not limited by linear perception of time) that is the final AHA - that changes happens in tandem, connecting individiual and collective experience as one in the same process.
(also called interconnectedness or oneness with all humanity and all creation in process of restoring natural harmony as a whole)

Been reading your posts. You get a lot out of a message board. That's for sure.
Me, I just like to argue politics and fuk with people sometimes. Not always in a mean way, but being snarky and smart ass, cause nothing I say is gonna change anyones mind about shit. Just typing on a screen. But I try not to make it (attacks) to personal. I don't want to provoke someone to back track an ISP address and show up with their AR15. You don't know who's lurking out there. Some of them gun nuts have been defending the 2nd amend. non stop for days now. They are starting to lose it. Some may have already shot their computer screen in frustration and rage.

But really, the best thing is to write something that makes a person you don't know, laugh out loud. That's about the best I hope for when writing on a message board.

Little more laughing, little less hating.

I'd like to be the first to invite you to visit the Flame Zone.

And black is beautiful.

Is that really important? Becaue it has been a mystery to me. Put me on ignore if that makes it better. Cause I won't figure that sucker out. Quote me on that.

Took me a few tries to fix it. Actually, it was a problem with the bold function which you ran through a quote. Nope, not important, unless you show another poster said something they didn't.

P.S. here is a quote from MLK Jr that sums up where things go wrong with people:

"Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated." - 1958

(please see Center for Healing of Racism http://www.centerhealingracism.org
and Guidelines for Sharing http://www.houstonprogressive.org
which facilitates free dialogue so people can heal of past injuries and memories related to bigotry and racism, instead of multiplying suffering by making even more "generalizations")

The internet allows people to overcome this separation, but in the meantime, people still project their fear and use that to create barrier walls to defend their territorial space.
I don't think the internet overcomes that separation. It is just the opposite, I believe. People don't know each other, as a result of having less to less face contact. Any form of electronic media (television, telephone, email, internet, etc), reduces ones sense of humanity a little bit, every time it is used.

There is a book called, "In the Abscence of the Sacred (the failure of technology and the survival of the Indian nations)" , by Gerry Mander. In this book, they did a study of Canadian indians that lived in a remote province and were completely cut off from western civilization. And they found, the more they were exposed to modern technology, the higher the rates of alcoholism, spousel abuse and incidents of selfishness would occur.

I bought the book because of the obvious juxtaposition of the title, but got hit with something I didn't expect to see.

Forum List

Back