prepardness

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Are any of you ready for a natural disaster? If something happened that cut you off from power and water, the roads, whatever, how long could you survive on your own? I recommend everyone have at least 3 months worth of supplies, though I think a years worth of supplies should actually be standard. I've heard a lot of people making fun of "preppers" lately. I've even heard them complaining that they themselves can't afford to "prepare". Well guess what? It doesn't take that much. Buy some extra food every time you go to the store and it will add up. If you can't afford a water barrel, get a big plastic garbage can. Tap water keeps for 6 months and regular over the counter bleach will kill just about anything in there, that's what they use on our city water.

I don't think everyone needs to rush out and get themselves some AK 47s to protect themselves, because if ALL of us prepared for a natural disaster, then the risk of hordes of the hungry taking your supplies dwindles.

I remember being taught in school to prepare for earthquakes, for the possibility of Mt Rainier erupting. Nowadays, people who prepare are ridiculed, why is that?

I keep thinking of the victims of Sandy and how just days later they were begging for food and water from our government. If they had prepared, if their neighbors had prepared, that wouldn't be a problem, EVER! I'm not saying some of them wouldn't have lost their supplies, but if EVERYONE prepared, they could have gone to their friends and neighbors for help instead of depending on a government that seems to care very little for it's citizens.

I've spent some money on long lasting food, I've set aside a bug out bag though it needs a few more things. I'm preparing and have been for over 30 years. It's a constant thing. You rotate your food so it lasts longer. You replace your old aspirin and some of your old medical supplies which also should be set aside. Get a water filter so that if you have to depend on rivers, or lakes or even gutters, you can drink the water. I still remember some guy after Katrina drinking the filthy water from the streets without filtering it. Save up some money and buy a filter.

Does anybody here agree with me, or do you all think I'm psycho? Or is it both? :D

Are any of you ready for a natural disaster?

Yup, got my case of bourbon, two nubile coeds, a gallon of Crisco and a carton of cigarettes.......

The sad thing is I'm no longer flexible enough to be able to kiss my ass goodbye. :dunno:

I consider 3 months to be hypervigilant. We keep about a month's worth of food on hand because we live in a hurricane zone. That seems prudent enough to me.

How many months worth of ammo do you have, Sheila? ;)

I consider 3 months to be hypervigilant. We keep about a month's worth of food on hand because we live in a hurricane zone. That seems prudent enough to me.

None. I've been thinking about buying a gun and some ammo but haven't gone past the "thinking" stage. If I ever did get a gun, I'd want a class to learn how to use it and how to clean it etc. I have gone target shooting and I really liked that sig 229, but it's about $1000. Of course, I can't like the cheap gun, I have to like the expensive gun. But heck, with that sig, I could hit where I was aiming, not so with the Smith and Wesson.

I have friends who have guns but with two autistic kids, I never thought it was a good idea to have guns in this house. Now I'm not so sure. Crime around here has gone up. Of course, I'd have to buy a gun safe too and those are really expensive and if your gun is in a safe, will you have time to get it if there's a home invasion? Then again, if you keep it in a safe, you could probably keep it loaded and that would save you some time. It's a lot easier and cheaper to buy some extra food. If society broke down to the point where I needed a gun, I'd probably just have some friends with guns move in with us, or we'd move in with them.

Hi, Sheila!

Hey, a subject that's near and dear to my heart!

You DO know we live in an earthquake zone, right? And I mean, a once-every-238-years DOOZY of an earthquake zone?

I have a thread about it here, but I've learned more since then. If you want to read a fairly comprehensive discussion of our quake hazard on a sister site, and learn lots more than you ever dreamed you'd know about prepping, here's the link:

Where NOT to live: WA OR CA ID MT WY UT CO NV AZ NM BC and AB

(I'm pretty sure it's okay to link it here because I was originally led there from a link here. But mods, if I've done wrong, please PM me, don't ban me!)

Oh, and the eagle is me, too!

-- Paravani

We keep about a months supply of food on hand.

My Grandad taught me how to forage for wild plants like Lamb's Quarter, Ramps, Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot), Cattails plus wild mushrooms.

Plus I hunt, mostly small game and fowl, and I fish.

I think I could keep us fed for quite some time.

Last edited:

My Grandad taught me how to forage for wild plants like Lamb's Quarter, Ramps, Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot), Cattails plus wild mushrooms.

I'm looking for a full color illustrated book on local edible wild plants. Remember, in a bad situation, when the grocery stores are out of stock, everybody is going to be hunting that same game you are, it will be in short supply, even the squirrels. Then again, I doubt everybody will be able to tell the edible plants from the non edible plants. I wish there was a place I could go for a class in things like that. My cousins grandfather used to take me through the woods and point out different plants to me and tell me what they all did but I was young and forgot.

Right now, about the only wild plant I know for sure is edible, other than our wild blackberries is dandelions.

Actually, my brother-in-law is an amateur mycologist and belongs to a club up there. He lives on Bainbridge. If you want information on it, let me know.

One plant that is local to you and delicious cooked or raw is fireweed. You can cook and eat the leaves and roots, and seasoned with a little salt, garlic, and onion, it's delicious. Just don't forage from the roadside, the plants there absorb the pollution from the passing cars.

I'm looking for a full color illustrated book on local edible wild plants. Remember, in a bad situation, when the grocery stores are out of stock, everybody is going to be hunting that same game you are, it will be in short supply, even the squirrels. Then again, I doubt everybody will be able to tell the edible plants from the non edible plants. I wish there was a place I could go for a class in things like that. My cousins grandfather used to take me through the woods and point out different plants to me and tell me what they all did but I was young and forgot.

Right now, about the only wild plant I know for sure is edible, other than our wild blackberries is dandelions.

IMO, the best book on the market for beginner foragers.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976626608/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_sims_1"]The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer.[/ame]

Oops!

I see you are in Washington State. Ignore that recommendation.

That's an "East of the Rockies" book.

I don't know how closely your west coast flora matches ours.

None. I've been thinking about buying a gun and some ammo but haven't gone past the "thinking" stage. If I ever did get a gun, I'd want a class to learn how to use it and how to clean it etc. I have gone target shooting and I really liked that sig 229, but it's about $1000. Of course, I can't like the cheap gun, I have to like the expensive gun. But heck, with that sig, I could hit where I was aiming, not so with the Smith and Wesson.

I have friends who have guns but with two autistic kids, I never thought it was a good idea to have guns in this house. Now I'm not so sure. Crime around here has gone up. Of course, I'd have to buy a gun safe too and those are really expensive and if your gun is in a safe, will you have time to get it if there's a home invasion? Then again, if you keep it in a safe, you could probably keep it loaded and that would save you some time. It's a lot easier and cheaper to buy some extra food. If society broke down to the point where I needed a gun, I'd probably just have some friends with guns move in with us, or we'd move in with them.

Sheila, trust your first instincts. That's why they're instincts.

Sure I believe in being prepared. I went through Katrina, and where I live now it's a long drive into town for any supplies (plus get snowed in sometimes) so being pre-supplied is a constant. I think three months is a bit much though, as is the whole home invasion thing. That just strikes me as somewhere between paranoid and the Twilight Zone. Even with Katrina we were allowed back into the city in five weeks.

But certainly here in the mountainous woods far from civilization where it's not uncommon for trees to be knocked down by 60mph winds, one is prepared. I have a stockpile of water (power outage cuts the water pump), I know where to get toilet-flushing water; I have a propane stove, and so much packed food I forget what's in there. Last time the power went out I was still on this internet, powered by UPS units.

I will say, when you live in a city and the day-to-day needs are just a walk away, you live in a different time scale. Anything that's not readily at hand is easily available, and you get used to that. With that, and the rarity of a storm like Sandy ever hitting New York, I can understand them not being as prepared as one would in either a rural setting or in a zone that's prone to hurricanes, earthquakes or tornadoes.

[Edit @ Missourian-- thank you for that book recommendation. Looks great. I've got a few like that but will check it out :)

Last edited:

My family could easily survive a year without going to a grocery store. Obviously we would have to do without many things, but we could survive.

Ammunition, I'd say 20,000 rounds with provisions for another 10,000.

Whole home generator with enough diesel to run it for probably 3 months.

I'm a hoarder in some ways though, has nothing to do with "in case of emergency" and I'm certainly not worried that the government is going to take over and I might need my guns and food to survive.

Actually, my brother-in-law is an amateur mycologist and belongs to a club up there. He lives on Bainbridge. If you want information on it, let me know.

One plant that is local to you and delicious cooked or raw is fireweed. You can cook and eat the leaves and roots, and seasoned with a little salt, garlic, and onion, it's delicious. Just don't forage from the roadside, the plants there absorb the pollution from the passing cars.

Fireweed? sounds more like it needs to be smoked than ate. :lol:

IF you decide to get a gun, get a LadySmith.

This is what my wife shoots with when she chooses to shoot with me.

Smith & Wesson 3913LS 3913 LS Lady Smith 9mm $599.00 SHIPS FREE

Maybe it depends a little bit on where you live, here in south Texas the worst natural disaster around here is flooding and maybe a tornado. Water and food would probably be the top concerns, but not for much more than a couple of weeks. Makes sense to be prepared for at least that long.

IMO, the best book on the market for beginner foragers.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976626608/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_sims_1"]The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer.[/ame]

Thanks, I put that in my cart on amazon and will order it as soon as I get enough for free shipping. Yes, I'm cheap/thrifty.

Bainbridge is a ways away but is a beautiful place to go. I doubt if I'd make it over there for his club but send me the info anyway, you never know.

IF you decide to get a gun, get a LadySmith.

This is what my wife shoots with when she chooses to shoot with me.

Smith & Wesson 3913LS 3913 LS Lady Smith 9mm $599.00 SHIPS FREE

Next time I go target shooting I'll rent one of those and see how I do with it. I did really good with that sig.

Forum List

Back