The liberal mythology of healthcare being a right

Still looking for the argument that healthcare is a right.

If we agree it is a right it is, simple as that. Some would argue any which way on any which way, so in the end democracy decides and it decided recently. That is its function call it whatever.

No, that's just wrong. Calling health care a "right" isn't a statement of values, it's a category error. We can all 'agree' that a cow is a bird, but that won't give it the power of flight.

I'd like the 'health care is a right' people to answer the question "How much health care?"

The unfortunate fact is, all of us will face the the point where we can't afford enough health care to stay alive. What then?

I guess then we throw up our hands and say what exactly? Die, oh, you have money? give it to me, like Jesus I charge to save, he didn't? you sure? oh....

I have to get out my old logic textbook, what is the faulty argument that when using a word like 'right' you attach it to something and all solutions disappear? Conservative and libertarian's constitutive principles defines a situation in which the answers flow easily and often paradoxically. But oddly there was a time when people felt differntly and said so.

"Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. ¶ Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection." Universal Declaration of Human Rights

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-healthcare-being-a-right-25.html#post4763674

The logical fallacy you're looking for is "equivocation". And, at least on the part of those leading this campaign, I think it's deliberate.The goal is to radically broaden the responsibility, and power, of the federal government. It's widely accepted that the US Constitution charges the government with protecting our rights. By erroneously declaring being take care of as a "right", statists hope to evade resistance to their plans with wordgames rather than persuasion and democracy. That might make it sound trivial, but it's not. Orwell rightly recognized the supreme power inherent in controlling language. If your crowd gets away with this doublespeak, we're taking a giant leap down the road to tyranny.

You are applying YOUR paranoid and corrupt mind to the intent. The intent is about making people's lives better, more secure and healthy. It is what civilized and compassionate nations DO. We need mature adults to take over in this country and put the folks like you that operate on a childish emotional level out public office. People who loathe government should never be allowed to run it.

Other nations have universal health care and none of your fears have materialized. As a matter of fact, America's 'for profit' health care system is the most expensive, most corrupt and ranks at the bottom of the heap among industrialized countries. America really needs to shut down you right wing paranoid freaks that have taken a Ronald Reagan comment and turned it into a religion. Our founding fathers created ONE entity to address the needs of We, the People. IT was not a corporation, it was not a for profit private entity, it was a GOVERNMENT.

Last edited:
Define a right, dblack.

In the context of the US Constitution, it's a freedom to act unhindered by other people.

Fair enough, I accept that to an extent but it has obvious flaws.

Yeah those who claim to take the USC "literally" usually miss the flaw in their own claim. The very existence of Amendments negated that claim long ago.

The other poster got it right: A "right" is what We the People and our Government through legal channels decide it is. It varies from state to state and country to country. In this country, we have decided that the general welfare of the citizenry does not include health. In the majority of industrialized countries, they have decided it is. In this country, we have decided that owning an AK-47 is a "right" but have interpreted the USC to mean that owning a nuke is not. Neither technology existed in the days of the founding fathers but we have interpreted one is a right and one is not, through the courts and our legislators.

jxq.gif

New Obamacare plan: Porta-john ads are gonna get this thing right back on track

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Well, the nanny state wants to do everything else for us, why shouldn’t it write the jokes for us, too? Obamacare will be advertised on porta-potties. In an attempt to reach young adults without insurance, that’s just one of the ideas being tossed around by supporters. And, yes, you’re paying for all of this:

In Connecticut, selling Obamacare involves renting an airplane. Oregon might try to reel in hipsters with branded coffee cups for their lattes. And in neighboring Washington, the effort could get quite intimate: The state is interested in sponsoring portable toilets at concerts in an effort to reach uninsured young adults.

Read more: New Obamacare plan: Porta-john ads are gonna get this thing right back on track - Patriot UpdatePatriot Update

Forum List

Back