The Imaginary Greatness of FDR

Funny my history is what you are taught in School as well. That WWII and the spending and economic activity it created got us out of the Depression.

Last edited:
I still shake my head when supposed "free marketers" believe that taxing people to make bombs, planes, tanks, and guns is good for the economy...

Thats exactly what taxes are supposed to be used for in my opinion.... not all this entitlement idiocy.

we are still paying off FDR's debt

And as long as those programs stay in place, we always will be in debt.
Its like never paying off a credit card and the limit is raised every year.

Last edited:
I still shake my head when supposed "free marketers" believe that taxing people to make bombs, planes, tanks, and guns is good for the economy...

Thats exactly what taxes are supposed to be used for in my opinion.... not all this entitlement idiocy.

we are still paying off FDR's debt

And as long as those programs stay in place, we always will be in debt.
Its like never paying off a credit card and the limit is raised every year.

almost all of the debt is from fighting WWII :cuckoo::cuckoo:

and you are a perfect example of the problem our country faces. you think any and all military spending is fine including our hundreds of bases around the world and endless military industrial complex. both the empire and the entitlements need to be ended

Liesmatter said:
The facts are unemployment went down under FDR and the nations LOVED him.

Yeah, it went down after seven years and us getting pulled into a war. :lol:

They hate science, history and higher education so they can defend their failed ideas

I'm five months away from receiving my Master's Degree. What's your educational background, wench?

So you are going to pretend the decreases in unemployment before the war mean nothing huh?

It didn't decrease before the war you twat. The war started a good three years before we entered it.

Gee, weren't you just accusing others of rewriting history and hating education?

He was determined to support Britain early in the war when US public opnion was overwhelimingly against it. He did it simply because it was the right thing to do.

Lease lend didnt shoot down planes but it helped us in our hour of need, for that I think he was a great man.

Was handing Eastern Europe over to the Soviets also the "Right thing to do"?

Did he have a choice?

Japan was still fighting and the atom bomb was as yet untested. On top of that the Red Army was a massive, awesome fighting machine.

A pragmatic decision. Truman probably could have done more for eastern Europe when he became president, i dont think FDR could have.
I do think FDR made a mistake in not letting Patton take Berlin. Patton could have taken all of Berlin. FDR said let Joe take. He did and he kept it. But everyone makes mistakes. I think FDR biggest mistake was not seeing the communist as a threat but just an ally.

I do think FDR made a mistake in not letting Patton take Berlin. Patton could have taken all of Berlin. FDR said let Joe take. He did and he kept it. But everyone makes mistakes. I think FDR biggest mistake was not seeing the communist as a threat but just an ally.

Roosevelt and Stalin had a lot in common.

What would that be?

FDR supposedly is a Great President for "Getting us out of the Great Depression."

Here's the data set.

I see no greatness. I see 8 consecutive years of failure.

FDR US Unemployment 1932: 24.1%, 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%. 8 year Average = 19.8%

What's so great about averaging 20% unemployment for 8 consecutive years?

FDR did finally get us out of the Depression, But not the way Libs want you to think. All his social Spending did nothing to get us out, In fact many think they made it last longer. It was when he began spending Billions of Government dollars on private industry products to fight WWII that we got out of the Depression.

Moral, If you are going to Spend Government Money to cause recovery, Spend it in the private sector, Not on More Government programs, and Temporary Construction jobs.
The problem, which had to be overcome during the Great Depression, was the lost of confidence and hope. FDR recognized this and it became the foundation for most of his legislation. After the crash of ‘29, the stock market slide of ’31, and the bank failures, Americans had loss confidence in the financial system and the government. Republicans believed that the government should have embarked on a course of stimulus for business and tax cuts instead of the massive employment projects of the New Deal. But even with massive business stimulus, business would not have expanded without the fundamental FDR changes to restore confidence in the financial system.

If the government had poured money into big business, it would been a field day for the communist. The American Communist party was helped by the depression. By 1932, the communists were a power in American politics. In the 30’s, Americans didn’t view communism as they did post WWII. Without the New Deal programs, communism would have certainly become much stronger and by the end of the 30’s would have been a viable 3rd party.

The work programs of the New Deal have been criticized as being too costly, inefficient, and to many a waste of funds. For example, in New Orleans the WPA built Monkey Hill so the school children would know what a hill looked like. But other projects have been tremendous assets to the country. Imagine Southern California without Boulder Dam, or the Northwest without Grand Coulee Dam or the southeast without the dams of the TVA. Add to this hundreds of thousands of miles of roads and bridges and other improvements. Not only did these projects provide work for millions of people, but also they produced infrastructure improvements that were essential to the country in gearing up for war.

The creation of Social Security, the FDIC, and the SEC are just few pieces of the landmark legislation of the FDR years. Even without considering the war, FDR will always stand as one of our greatest presidents.
Great Depression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Communist Party of the United States
New Deal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What would that be?

Roosevelt was an authoritarian. He, like Stalin, believed in a centrally planned economy. He set massively high tax rates in excess of 90%, confiscating the wealth of private individuals so he could redistribute it to others in the form of government employment. He set wage controls and price controls. These were the same type of economic policies used in the USSR. He also locked up Japanese Americans in concentration camps for the sin of being Japanese. Stalin threw political prisoners in gulags.

They had quite a bit in common. That doesn't mean that FDR was the monster Stalin was. Stalin had many of his own people killed who opposed him politically, but to say the two had things in common doesn't automatically mean something negative. I'm simply a fact.

FDR supposedly is a Great President for "Getting us out of the Great Depression."

Here's the data set.

I see no greatness. I see 8 consecutive years of failure.

FDR US Unemployment 1932: 24.1%, 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%. 8 year Average = 19.8%

What's so great about averaging 20% unemployment for 8 consecutive years?
FDR is considered a great president, not because of his policies but because of his leadership. He led the country through the greatest depression and military threat the country has ever faced. After the war ended we were the greatest military, industry, and financial power on earth. I think the president that led us through this deserves a lot a credit.

So, by your metric Little Big Horn made Custer a great Leader.

Also, Germany never attacked us! And the first battle of WWII was fought in Africa! Against the French! So maybe Dubya learned from FDR

At least you had the balls to show up here, thanks. The rest of the Liberal Intellectual Elite is once again, MIA

Frank, you are truly one stupid ass. Germany declared war on the US on 11Dec41. Roosevelt replied immediatly;

German-American Relations - U.S. Declaration of War against Germany
U.S. Declaration of War Against Germany

War Message of the President (Roosevelt) to the Congress, Dec. 11, 1941

"To the Congress of the United States:

On the morning of December 11 the Government of Germany, pursuing its course of world
conquest, declared war against the United States.

The long known and the long expected has thus taken place. The forces endeavoring to enslave the entire world now are moving toward this hemisphere.

Never before has there been a greater challenge to life, liberty, and civilization.

Delay invites greater danger. Rapid and united effort by all the peoples of the world who are
determined to remain free will insure a world victory of the forces of justice and of righteousness over the forces of savagery and of barbarism.

Italy also has declared war against the United States.

I therefore request the Congress to recognize a state of war between the United States and
Germany and between the United States and Italy.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT.

THE WHITE HOUSE, "December 11, 1941."

FDR is considered a great president, not because of his policies but because of his leadership. He led the country through the greatest depression and military threat the country has ever faced. After the war ended we were the greatest military, industry, and financial power on earth. I think the president that led us through this deserves a lot a credit.

So, by your metric Little Big Horn made Custer a great Leader.

Also, Germany never attacked us! And the first battle of WWII was fought in Africa! Against the French! So maybe Dubya learned from FDR

At least you had the balls to show up here, thanks. The rest of the Liberal Intellectual Elite is once again, MIA

Frank, you are truly one stupid ass. Germany declared war on the US on 11Dec41. Roosevelt replied immediatly;

German-American Relations - U.S. Declaration of War against Germany
U.S. Declaration of War Against Germany

War Message of the President (Roosevelt) to the Congress, Dec. 11, 1941

"To the Congress of the United States:

On the morning of December 11 the Government of Germany, pursuing its course of world
conquest, declared war against the United States.

The long known and the long expected has thus taken place. The forces endeavoring to enslave the entire world now are moving toward this hemisphere.

Never before has there been a greater challenge to life, liberty, and civilization.

Delay invites greater danger. Rapid and united effort by all the peoples of the world who are
determined to remain free will insure a world victory of the forces of justice and of righteousness over the forces of savagery and of barbarism.

Italy also has declared war against the United States.

I therefore request the Congress to recognize a state of war between the United States and
Germany and between the United States and Italy.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT.

THE WHITE HOUSE, "December 11, 1941."

And still Germany never attacked us and the first US war effort was in Africa (Was Germany located in Africa? Nooo) and the Frech contested our landing there.

So once again, facts and old Rocks are parallel tracks that never meet.

I said Germany never attacked us.

Go suck a glacier

Also, please tell me when FDR got us put of the Great Depression. GO make us some tree ring for the date set I've posted and get back to me

So you are going to pretend the decreases in unemployment before the war mean nothing huh?

Which of the 8 above years marked the end of the Great Depression

He's the #1 President yet no one has been able to show how he got us out of the Depression.

I'm still waiting.

How hard can this be?

I mean he's the Number 1 President Evah!

Where's the Liberal Intellectual Elite, are they ever going to show up at USMB?

He's the #1 President yet no one has been able to show how he got us out of the Depression.

I'm still waiting.

rewriting history again?

FDR was not president in 1932 asshole

Forum List

Back