The hard truth

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Take off the rose-colored glasses and stop playing the blame game.

Appearing in FORTUNE magazine, October 15, 2010:

Who can magically fix the economy? No one - Full version - Oct. 15, 2010
From listening to what passes for public debate in our country, you'd never know that. You'd think that the federal government could revive the economy quickly if only Congress would let it be more aggressive with stimulus spending. Or that the Fed could fix it if only it weren't overly worried about touching off inflation. Or that the free market could fix it if only we made deep and permanent tax cuts. Watch enough cable TV, listen to enough talk radio, read enough blogs and columns, and you'd think that they -- the bad guys -- are forcing the country to suffer needlessly when a simple and painless solution to our problems is at hand.

But if you look at things rationally rather than politically, you'll see that Washington has far less power over the economy, and far less maneuvering room, than many people think.

More at link.

Wow. No one can magically fix the economy. Who knew?

Except that's what some of us have actually been saying - and getting shouted down for.

I await some honest posters to recognize that no one person is responsible for the fucking mess we are in.

Its not one person its one set of ideas that caused this.

They are the republican ideas of deregulation and unfettered markets.

Well it would sound better if that had been acknowledged all along, that the mess wasn't all the 'other party.' Or that all the spending wouldn't actually, ya know, stimulate much other than more spending.

You can't blame just Republicans for a way of life among ALL OF US (the debtor's life) that has been going on for many years. READ THE ARTICLE!!!

But the Great Recession was different: It was triggered by a financial meltdown brought on by excessive lending, reckless risk taking, the implosion of an unregulated shadow banking system that assumed that short-term money would always be available -- and ignorant and careless borrowing by people and institutions.

Did Democrats take risks too? Of course they did. And how did the average Joe (who might have been a Republican OR Democrat) finance his risk taking in the stock market? The ol' credit card, that's how. Like it or not, it was the people who kept investing in these bogus securities that kept the scam alive!!

Last edited:
Well it would sound better if that had been acknowledged all along, that the mess wasn't all the 'other party.' Or that all the spending wouldn't actually, ya know, stimulate much other than more spending.

Sorry, but I've followed this economic tragedy going way back to the collapse of Bear Stearns, and have read hundreds of viewpoints as to the "cause," and of course they followed along party lines. The WSJ would spin it one way; the NYT another. But all sorted out, it was a combination of failed practices of both the private and public sectors supported by BOTH parties all along the miserable trail leading to the eventual meltdown. As for the solutions put in place by Bush and Obama (TARP) and the stimulus package (Obama), there was really nothing to do but hold my breath. Something had to be done. Only time will tell how successful those bandaids were.

Sorry, but I've followed this economic tragedy going way back to the collapse of Bear Stearns, and have read hundreds of viewpoints as to the "cause," and of course they followed along party lines. The WSJ would spin it one way; the NYT another. But all sorted out, it was a combination of failed practices of both the private and public sectors supported by BOTH parties all along the miserable trail leading to the eventual meltdown. As for the solutions put in place by Bush and Obama (TARP) and the stimulus package (Obama), there was really nothing to do but hold my breath. Something had to be done. Only time will tell how successful those bandaids were.

I agree with the reasonableness of your analysis. Shocking I know. ;) Anyone that reads with a bit of skeptism would come to the same conclusion. However, I guess I am addressing only partisans on both sides, whether in media or even something with limited impact like this messageboard.

As for the stimulus, I think that's pretty much already determined, at least in my opinion. TARP to some degree was needed, the stimulus? No. In fact probably has caused more problems, with more to come in the coming years.

I agree with the reasonableness of your analysis. Shocking I know. ;) Anyone that reads with a bit of skeptism would come to the same conclusion. However, I guess I am addressing only partisans on both sides, whether in media or even something with limited impact like this messageboard.

As for the stimulus, I think that's pretty much already determined, at least in my opinion. TARP to some degree was needed, the stimulus? No. In fact probably has caused more problems, with more to come in the coming years.

Appearing in US News and World Report, owned by Mort Zuckerman, and therefore considered more conservative than its competition, this article tends to disagree:

5 Campaign Fibs About the Economy - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

Appearing in US News and World Report, owned by Mort Zuckerman, and therefore considered more conservative than its competition, this article tends to disagree:

Well as I said, what I wrote was my opinion. I've been wrong before, certainly will be again. True too, I have been right a few times. ;)

well even your article said that the stimulus was a failure by it's own metrics. And for all we know it may have no long term benefits at all. But in any case it wasn't well conceived or targeted. It was more like a porkasbord.

Well as I said, what I wrote was my opinion. I've been wrong before, certainly will be again. True too, I have been right a few times. ;)

Me too. I'm also delighted to finally have civil conversations with people like you.

Republicans and Conservatives have been braying that since it's not raining gold coins on everyone..that everything that's been tried has been a failure. And this flies up against the face of facts. Never mind that before our current President even sat his ass down in the office the righty talking heads were proclaiming that if this man "succeeds" America "fails" or that "responsible" conservative congress people have been praying for a "Waterloo" to break the man..

They somehow have the right idea.

Well if the "right" idea is to make the Country ungovernable, and erect a small monied class of privateers that run the show..or Plutocracy..

That's no idea any true American should want any part of..

Some people...actually a lot of people...simply refuse to admonish their party of choice.
Somehow believing they are betraying their party of they speak out against it.

My favorite forum posters bar-none are those that are critical of their usual party. I always respect that. At the same time I have little use for those who don't.

Some people...actually a lot of people...simply refuse to admonish their party of choice.
Somehow believing they are betraying their party of they speak out against it.

My favorite forum posters bar-none are those that are critical of their usual party. I always respect that. At the same time I have little use for those who don't.

I agree. I'm pretty conservative and have been most of my adult life. I've worked on campaigns for GOP candidates, including Bush 2000. However, none of that stopped me from criticizing the administration in 2003-2008. Some things done better than he got credit for, some things actually caused long term problems on more fronts than economic.

I suppose that made me very happy to recognize the potential of the tea parties, not as a party, but as a cause of change.

They'll fix it just like they did last time.
World War.

I have been afraid of that. You notice that the austerity riots in the EU are mostly comprised of angry disenfranchised youths? And the one child law in China left them with 100 million extra men all of age.

But we might all be surprised, they may throw a world war and the developed nations are the no shows. While the developing nations steal the thunder.

I have always maintained that only time will heal our economic problems. Jobs aren't coming back until employers are confident that consumer spending is coming back and consumer spending is not coming back without more jobs. Home buyers don't buy if banks don't lend. Banks don't want to lend into a weak housing with 3 million foreclosures. It's pretty much a vicious cycle and there is little government can do to break the cycle. Job stimulus, financial bailouts, low interest, tax breaks, and increases in the money supply have most probably avoided a depression but have not provided the spark needed to break the cycle. WWII was the spark that pulled us out of the Great Depression. That spark might come in the form of strength in overseas markets, a technological breakthrough, a natural disaster, or business investing it's expanding cash reserves.

It is one set of ideas - but not the ones attributed by TruthSplatters.

The one set of ideas belong to Big Government Statism in which whatever is accretive to centralized government power is promoted.

It is one set of ideas - but not the ones attributed by TruthSplatters.

The one set of ideas belong to Big Government Statism in which whatever is accretive to centralized government power is promoted.

sorry but the road toward the financial meltdown was a traffic jam populated by private financiers and politicians of both stripes.

Forum List

Back